Local Rag - Cyclists Letters (Stonnington)

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by PiledHigher, Aug 23, 2005.

  1. PiledHigher

    PiledHigher New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2003
    After a complaint in the local rag about the quality of Stonningtons bike lane provisions compared with other councils last week. The council spokesperson tried to say that they were on a par with other councils.

    This was discredited when all bar one letter to the paper published this week were refuting this and detailing all the shortcomings (the other letter was unrelated).

    Good work letter writers.. particularly Jason de Hollander, well written.

    PiledHIgher

    Tags:

  2. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    "den" laddy :D

    F"den"Dutch

  3. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    and fo the benefit of those who have no idea what 'bandicoot' is on about...

    my letter...

    "How sad that Trevor Griffin from Stonnington Council doesnt think that
    his council's cycling trails are any different to surrounding councils
    trails!

    Obviously Trevor doesnt get out on a bike much. I can always tell
    where the council boundaries are; not due to any signage mind you but
    by the conditon of the cycling lanes and paths. They visibly (and
    bone-jarringly!) change once you enter into Stonnington.
    Stonnington seems to be in the cycling dark ages in comparison to my
    area, Boroondara, and the shining light of City of Yarra.

    And to think Stonnington is one of the most congested and yet flat
    regions of Melbourne. On yer bike Trev!

  4. PiledHigher

    PiledHigher New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2003
    I thought it was a German name!

  5. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    and another, to emerald hill weekly... in response to idiot columnist's anti-cyclist rant/blither...

    "Dear David

    I was recently amused to read your article "WHY CAN'T CYCLISTS PAY
    THEIR WAY?" and thought I would share some perspective with you

    "Surely he's not suggesting that cyclists, the freeloaders of the
    road, have subsidised motorists in the past."
    Well, in a word Yes! Basically most cyclists do pay rego, its just
    their registered vehicle is sitting at home, not polluting, causing
    wear-n-tear on our roads or killing people.
    Also, a huge slab of our National and State budget is Health and a
    major slab of that is car/traffic-related. (not just physical injuries
    but pollution-induced too). Compare these health budget percentages to
    countries such as Holland where their health bill is a fraction of
    ours!

    The one and only thing that motorists pay towards 'their way' is tax on petrol.
    Rego covers admin and the TAC-levy to pay for all the human damage
    cars cause, so please stop with that common argument 'why dont
    cyclists pay rego'. Its been costed several times by several
    governments and all have found it would run at a loss and no pollie in
    today's 'super-size-me' society would be seen to legislate against
    exercise.

    I dont want to 'ram my beliefs down your throat'. You want to drive,
    fine. You want to walk, ride, rollerskate, whatever. different horses,
    and all that...

    On you're comment "I know one bloke who justifies blocking the roads
    by saying he'd like Melbourne to be more like Beijing, where most
    people ride their bikes to work. Fair enough. Perhaps we should take
    his advice and quell their next public protest with tanks.",
    Who's blocking the road? Have you ever actually been on a CM ride? Its
    always held up by log-jammed cars! As is my commute to work (North
    Balwyn to CBD). I leave the same time as my neighbour and get to work,
    shower and change and sit at my desk about 5 minutes BEFORE he's
    pulling into his CBD carpark! No, I dont run redlights (talk to any
    longterm cyclist and they will tell you how much they loathe those who
    do!), or break any laws to achieve this. Im just not sitting looking
    at the rear of the car in front of me.

    Hopefully in future you might consider building your opinion on some
    research/facts or even personal experience rather than sweeping
    generalisations"

  6. EuanB

    EuanB New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005
    Not any more by the sound of it :-(

  7. ritcho

    ritcho New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2004
    One thing that always stuck in my craw... If a motorist complains that cyclists are 'not paying their way' or 'freeloading' or otherwise getting something for nothing, then YTF doesn't the motorist take advantage of the freebie as well?

    Ritch

  8. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    cos they are one (or more) of:
    fat
    lazy
    stupid
    a collingwood supporter <runs away...> :D

  9. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2005-08-24, PiledHigher (aka Bruce)

    > flyingdutch Wrote:
    >> "den" laddy :D
    >>
    >> F"den"Dutch

    > I thought it was a German name!

    Then he would be a Flying German. And then we couldn't mention the
    war.

    "I riiiiide a B2!"

    --
    TimC
    Adding features does not necessarily increase functionality -- it just

  10. On 2005-08-24, flyingdutch wrote:
    > cos they are one (or more) of:
    > fat
    > lazy
    > stupid
    > a collingwood supporter <runs away...> :D

    With the president that particular club has, I'm amazed they have *any*
    supporters.