Local Snack/Street Food

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by dee, Feb 13, 2006.

  1. dee

    dee Guest

    I got back to Hong Kong recently. And am reminded about all the
    wonderful street food and snacks - both savory and sweet. One is egg
    balls (sweet) they are hollow inside. Simple and great when eaten when
    it's just made.

    I would like to know about your favourite local snack or street food
    and the like from where you live? May include photo as well. Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. cathyxyz

    cathyxyz Guest

    dee wrote:

    > I would like to know about your favourite local snack or street food
    > and the like from where you live? May include photo as well. Thanks.

    Would have to say boerewors rolls. ("Boerewors" is a local sausage).
    Many of the butcheries sell these rolls on a Saturday morning - on the
    pavement just outside their shops so the smell attracts the customers
    walking by, and it usually works. They braai (grill) the sausage over a
    charcoal fire and serve them on bread rolls with chili sauce, tomato
    sauce and mustard. Yum.
    --
    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

  3. dee

    dee Guest

    cathyxyz wrote:
    > dee wrote:
    >

    > > I would like to know about your favourite local snack or street food
    > > and the like from where you live? May include photo as well. Thanks.
    > >

    > Would have to say boerewors rolls. ("Boerewors" is a local sausage).
    > Many of the butcheries sell these rolls on a Saturday morning - on the
    > pavement just outside their shops so the smell attracts the customers
    > walking by, and it usually works. They braai (grill) the sausage over a
    > charcoal fire and serve them on bread rolls with chili sauce, tomato
    > sauce and mustard. Yum.
    > --
    > Cheers
    > Cathy(xyz)

    Sounds very nice especially in cold weather!

    Charcoal, there is this chestnuts being roasted in a wok of hot coal (a
    full wok of tiny pieces of coal) - they usually have this mobile thing
    that the wok can hang on the gas fire. Very nice in winter.

    Something that might be consider as snack for me when I was in UK -
    freshly made crossiant or bagels (I understand neither were from UK
    originally, but very nice)

  4. "dee" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
    news:1139823635.853434.24084[email protected]:

    > I got back to Hong Kong recently. And am reminded about all the
    > wonderful street food and snacks - both savory and sweet. One is egg
    > balls (sweet) they are hollow inside. Simple and great when eaten when
    > it's just made.
    >
    > I would like to know about your favourite local snack or street food
    > and the like from where you live? May include photo as well. Thanks.

    Here in St. Louis I like the toasted ravioli. We have some festivals every
    year and during the fests I like stew from Dressels Pub. The curried
    chicken salad from Koopermans is served on mini rolls and I like that too.
    I don't think we have a lot of street food here unless an event is going
    on. I might be wrong about this and hopefully Brian can bring some St.
    Louis ideas into the conversation. I find a lot of fast food here but very
    little street food.

    Michael

    --
    “It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun.”
    _Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

  5. cathyxyz <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
    news:p[email protected]:

    > dee wrote:
    >

    >> I would like to know about your favourite local snack or street food
    >> and the like from where you live? May include photo as well. Thanks.
    >>

    > Would have to say boerewors rolls. ("Boerewors" is a local sausage).
    > Many of the butcheries sell these rolls on a Saturday morning - on the
    > pavement just outside their shops so the smell attracts the customers
    > walking by, and it usually works. They braai (grill) the sausage over a
    > charcoal fire and serve them on bread rolls with chili sauce, tomato
    > sauce and mustard. Yum.

    Is this a German thing? I used to get brats from a vendor outside of
    Barnes Hospital when I worked there. They were delicious.

    Michael

    --
    “It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun.”
    _Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

  6. cathyxyz

    cathyxyz Guest

    Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
    > cathyxyz <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
    > news:p[email protected]:
    >
    > > dee wrote:
    > >

    > >> I would like to know about your favourite local snack or street food
    > >> and the like from where you live? May include photo as well. Thanks.
    > >>

    > > Would have to say boerewors rolls. ("Boerewors" is a local sausage).
    > > Many of the butcheries sell these rolls on a Saturday morning - on the
    > > pavement just outside their shops so the smell attracts the customers
    > > walking by, and it usually works. They braai (grill) the sausage over a
    > > charcoal fire and serve them on bread rolls with chili sauce, tomato
    > > sauce and mustard. Yum.

    > Is this a German thing? I used to get brats from a vendor outside of
    > Barnes Hospital when I worked there. They were delicious.

    This is a South African thing and most South Africans love it.... we
    have a lot of Dutch/German/Portuguese - you name it - influence
    here.... We get a lot of Indian food too. Durban (one of the port
    cities) has a huge Indian population and they have introduced all sorts
    of great food as well. Not to mention all the real African foods... One
    of the staples is maize meal - its made into porridge (pap) of various
    consistencies... sometimes it is made into something that could be
    similar to "grits"... Pap is eaten with various meat stews, sauces,
    chilis (sp?) and vegetables....

    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

  7. "cathyxyz" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
    posted news:[email protected]:
    >> I wrote

    >> Is this a German thing? I used to get brats from a vendor outside of
    >> Barnes Hospital when I worked there. They were delicious.

    > This is a South African thing and most South Africans love it.... we
    > have a lot of Dutch/German/Portuguese - you name it - influence
    > here.... We get a lot of Indian food too. Durban (one of the port
    > cities) has a huge Indian population and they have introduced all
    > sorts of great food as well. Not to mention all the real African
    > foods... One of the staples is maize meal - its made into porridge
    > (pap) of various consistencies... sometimes it is made into something
    > that could be similar to "grits"... Pap is eaten with various meat
    > stews, sauces, chilis (sp?) and vegetables....
    >
    > Cheers
    > Cathy(xyz)

    I like the maize thing you mentioned. Actually I liked all of your post but
    I'm a huge grit fan. Have you any tried and true recipes?

    Michael

    --
    “It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun.”
    _Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

  8. Curly Sue

    Curly Sue Guest

    On 13 Feb 2006 01:40:35 -0800, "dee" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I got back to Hong Kong recently. And am reminded about all the
    >wonderful street food and snacks - both savory and sweet. One is egg
    >balls (sweet) they are hollow inside. Simple and great when eaten when
    >it's just made.
    >
    >I would like to know about your favourite local snack or street food
    >and the like from where you live? May include photo as well. Thanks.

    When I'm in Manhattan, I might succumb to the hot sugared nuts
    (cashews, peanuts, etc.). There is a lot of other delicious-looking
    food (chestnuts, sausages, hot dogs, etc.) but I generally don't get
    anything.

    Sue(tm)

  9. dee wrote:
    > I got back to Hong Kong recently. And am reminded about all the
    > wonderful street food and snacks - both savory and sweet. One is egg
    > balls (sweet) they are hollow inside. Simple and great when eaten when
    > it's just made.
    >
    > I would like to know about your favourite local snack or street food
    > and the like from where you live? May include photo as well. Thanks.

    We don't have street food here in detroit that I know of, but my
    favorite local treat is a coney dog with a piece of baklava afterwards
    from one of the many 'greek coneys' here.

    --

    saerah

    http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

    email:
    anisaerah at s b c global.net

    -Baruch Spinoza

    -Douglas Adams

  10. dee

    dee Guest

    Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
    > "cathyxyz" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
    > posted news:[email protected]:
    > >> I wrote

    > >> Is this a German thing? I used to get brats from a vendor outside of
    > >> Barnes Hospital when I worked there. They were delicious.

    > > This is a South African thing and most South Africans love it.... we
    > > have a lot of Dutch/German/Portuguese - you name it - influence
    > > here.... We get a lot of Indian food too. Durban (one of the port
    > > cities) has a huge Indian population and they have introduced all
    > > sorts of great food as well. Not to mention all the real African
    > > foods... One of the staples is maize meal - its made into porridge
    > > (pap) of various consistencies... sometimes it is made into something
    > > that could be similar to "grits"... Pap is eaten with various meat
    > > stews, sauces, chilis (sp?) and vegetables....
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > > Cathy(xyz)

    > I like the maize thing you mentioned. Actually I liked all of your post but
    > I'm a huge grit fan. Have you any tried and true recipes?
    >
    > Michael
    >

    > --
    > "It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun."
    > _Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

    Tried the yum and fufu before, they make a fulfilling meal.

    Grilled Plantain (spelling?) eaten with roasted peanuts, some students
    were very kind to offer this to me when I went there on holiday.

  11. cathyxyz

    cathyxyz Guest

    Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

    > I like the maize thing you mentioned. Actually I liked all of your post but
    > I'm a huge grit fan. Have you any tried and true recipes?
    >
    > Michael

    Try this:

    Pap and Cheese Bake

    1.2 litres water (1 1/2 pints)
    5 ml salt
    300 gram mealie (maize) meal (500 ml)
    30-50 ml butter
    200 gram cheddar cheese (500 ml)
    2 tomatoes, sliced
    1 ml black pepper
    5 ml dried or 15 ml chopped fresh origanum
    15 ml grated parmesan cheese
    2 eggs, beaten
    250 ml milk
    3 ml salt or seasoning salt

    Bring the water and salt to the boil. Add the mealie meal mixing well.
    Cover with the lid and simmer for 20-30 minutes until done. Stir in the
    butter and half the cheese. Using a wooden spoon, press half the hot
    pap into a greased 20 cm X 20 cm ovenproof dish. Arrange half the
    tomato slices on top and season with pepper and origanum. Cover with
    the remaining pap and spread evenly. Sprinkle the remaining cheddar
    cheese and the parmesan over. Beat the eggs, milk and salt together and
    pour over the pap.
    Bake at 180ºC for 80 minutes or until the egg mixture has set. Arrange
    the remaining tomato slices on top 20 minutes before baking time
    expires. Serve hot.

    Hope you like it!

    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

  12. "cathyxyz" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
    posted news:[email protected]:

    > Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
    >

    >> I like the maize thing you mentioned. Actually I liked all of your
    >> post b

    > ut
    >> I'm a huge grit fan. Have you any tried and true recipes?
    >>
    >> Michael
    >>

    > Try this:
    >
    > Pap and Cheese Bake
    >
    > 1.2 litres water (1 1/2 pints)
    > 5 ml salt
    > 300 gram mealie (maize) meal (500 ml)
    > 30-50 ml butter
    > 200 gram cheddar cheese (500 ml)
    > 2 tomatoes, sliced
    > 1 ml black pepper
    > 5 ml dried or 15 ml chopped fresh origanum
    > 15 ml grated parmesan cheese
    > 2 eggs, beaten
    > 250 ml milk
    > 3 ml salt or seasoning salt
    >
    > Bring the water and salt to the boil. Add the mealie meal mixing well.
    > Cover with the lid and simmer for 20-30 minutes until done. Stir in
    > the butter and half the cheese. Using a wooden spoon, press half the
    > hot pap into a greased 20 cm X 20 cm ovenproof dish. Arrange half the
    > tomato slices on top and season with pepper and origanum. Cover with
    > the remaining pap and spread evenly. Sprinkle the remaining cheddar
    > cheese and the parmesan over. Beat the eggs, milk and salt together
    > and pour over the pap.
    > Bake at 180ºC for 80 minutes or until the egg mixture has set. Arrange
    > the remaining tomato slices on top 20 minutes before baking time
    > expires. Serve hot.
    >
    > Hope you like it!
    >
    > Cheers
    > Cathy(xyz)

    I'm gonna like it. I can tell buy the recipe. What is the fresh origanum
    ingredient? I'm not familiar with it.

    Michael

    --
    “It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun.”
    _Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

  13. cathyxyz

    cathyxyz Guest

    Michael Dog3 Lonergan wrote:

    > I'm gonna like it. I can tell buy the recipe. What is the fresh origanum
    > ingredient? I'm not familiar with it.

    Oregano? ( I think that might be more familiar?) we get it fresh and
    dried. Very nice.

    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

  14. "cathyxyz" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
    posted news:[email protected]:

    > Michael Dog3 Lonergan wrote:
    >

    >> I'm gonna like it. I can tell buy the recipe. What is the fresh
    >> origanum ingredient? I'm not familiar with it.

    > Oregano? ( I think that might be more familiar?) we get it fresh and
    > dried. Very nice.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Cathy(xyz)

    Okay, oregano I know well ;) It made sense but one never knows ;)

    Michael <- grows it yearly

    --
    “It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun.”
    _Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

  15. aem

    aem Guest

    dee wrote:
    > [snip]
    > I would like to know about your favourite local snack or street food
    > and the like from where you live? May include photo as well. Thanks.

    It's great how different they are from city to city, country to
    country. I always try to sample, wherever I am (even NYC!). If I had
    to pick a favorite I think it would be the fish tacos at the pier in
    Ensenada, Baja California or the ceviche tostadas. But it's a long
    worldwide list to choose from. Here in L.A. it's a taco plate (al
    pastor) from a particular taco truck that sets up in a parking lot
    about two miles up the road from here. -aem

  16. dee wrote:
    > I got back to Hong Kong recently. And am reminded about all the
    > wonderful street food and snacks - both savory and sweet. One is egg
    > balls (sweet) they are hollow inside. Simple and great when eaten when
    > it's just made.
    >
    > I would like to know about your favourite local snack or street food
    > and the like from where you live? May include photo as well. Thanks.

    Street food:
    Chips hot from the chip wagon or maybe a real poutine. :)

    An old favourite, but I don't live there now, was a shwarma from the
    street vendors in Dammam or Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia.

    The Kingston and Ottawa shwarmas are good but just not the same as
    those in Al Khobar.
    John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

  17. Jude

    Jude Guest

    cathyxyz wrote:

    > Pap and Cheese Bake

    <snip>

    This sounds good. have you had polenta? That;s what it reminds me of,
    except that I would proababy let the hot polenta cool into the shape of
    my loaf pan first, then slice it and layer it with the tomatoes and
    cheese. But it sounds like a similar concept. Could I use regular,
    coarse cornmeal or polenta grind for this dish?
    Thanks!

  18. Default User

    Default User Guest

    Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

    > "dee" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > I got back to Hong Kong recently. And am reminded about all the
    > > wonderful street food and snacks - both savory and sweet. One is
    > > egg balls (sweet) they are hollow inside. Simple and great when
    > > eaten when it's just made.
    > >
    > > I would like to know about your favourite local snack or street food
    > > and the like from where you live? May include photo as well.
    > > Thanks.
    > >

    > Here in St. Louis I like the toasted ravioli. We have some festivals
    > every year and during the fests I like stew from Dressels Pub. The
    > curried chicken salad from Koopermans is served on mini rolls and I
    > like that too. I don't think we have a lot of street food here
    > unless an event is going on. I might be wrong about this and
    > hopefully Brian can bring some St. Louis ideas into the
    > conversation. I find a lot of fast food here but very little street
    > food.

    You're basically right, there just isn't a lot of that. Near the
    football stadium, they grill bratwurst and hotdogs on gameday.

    Brian

    won't shut up.

  19. Victor Sack

    Victor Sack Guest

    dee <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I would like to know about your favourite local snack or street food
    > and the like from where you live? May include photo as well. Thanks.

    Bratwurst served a split Brötchen (roll) and slathered with mustard is
    the street food I like the most.

    Otherwise, Currywurst (Bratwurst or, occasionally, Bockwurst, sliced and
    served with curry-powder-laced ketchup) is enormously popular here.
    Just as popular are Pommes rot-weiß (chips/French fries with ketchup and
    mayo). However, the most popular street food here is probably the
    Turkish döner kebap.

    Victor

  20. cathyxyz

    cathyxyz Guest

    Jude wrote:
    > cathyxyz wrote:
    >
    >> Pap and Cheese Bake
    >>

    > <snip>
    >
    > This sounds good. have you had polenta? That;s what it reminds me of,
    > except that I would proababy let the hot polenta cool into the shape of
    > my loaf pan first, then slice it and layer it with the tomatoes and
    > cheese. But it sounds like a similar concept. Could I use regular,
    > coarse cornmeal or polenta grind for this dish?
    > Thanks!

    No, I haven't tried polenta as such, but I would say that you could use
    it - judging by what I have heard about polenta, it sounds very similar
    to our pap. Please let me know how it turns out if you try it?

    --
    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)