Location of spoke attachment to rim

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dan, Apr 2, 2003.

  1. Dan

    Dan New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2003
    I'm looking at getting some new aero wheels like the Zipp 404, Hed Alps, or Spinergy Tilium. I've noticed that on some the spokes pass through the carbon and fasten directly to the metal rim - so you need to take off the tyre to adjust spoke tension. On others the spokes fasten to the carbon rim so the nipple protrudes and you can use a spoke key as normal.

    I was wondering if there are there any strength/performance advantages to either method that you know of?

    Cheers, Dan

    Tags:

  2. Rb

    Rb Guest

    Nimble says "Hidden spoke nipples decrease spoke related drag more than 60%"
    (http://www.nimble.net/spider.html) but I am not sure whether they make that claim for all wheels in
    general or just for the particular wheel described.

    r.b.

    Dan <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm looking at getting some new aero wheels like the Zipp 404, Hed Alps, or Spinergy Tilium. I've
    > noticed that on some the spokes pass through the carbon and fasten directly to the metal rim - so
    > you need to take off the tyre to adjust spoke tension. On others the spokes fasten to the carbon
    > rim so the nipple protrudes and you can use a spoke key as normal.
    >
    > I was wondering if there are there any strength/performance advantages to either method that you
    > know of?
    >
    > Cheers, Dan

  3. blue-<< Nimble says "Hidden spoke nipples decrease spoke related drag more than 60%"
    (http://www.nimble.net/spider.html) but I am not sure whether they make that claim for all wheels in
    general or just for the particular wheel described.

    What a hoot...spoke related drag is what part of total drag? market speak. Biggest problem I see
    is that for tubies, if glued on properly, having to remove the tire to true the wheel can kill
    the tubie-