Locked Hydraulic Disc Brakes

D Tithecott

Jul 31, 2007
Hello folks.
I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me with a bit of a problem I am having with a mates bke.

She has a Giant with hydraulic brakes (I think they are RPM from memory but I may well be wrong) which are great and have served her well for just over 2 years. Recently though she has been having a few problems.

She stores her bike in a small dry shed (removing the front wheel as space is very limited) and will leave her bike for a week or two. recently though when she takes it out the brakes have often been totally locked on and she is unable to put the front wheel on as the calipers are closed.

At first I thought the fluid must be a bit old or have absorbed some water ... so I replaced the fluid. But then it happened again.

Now I can undo the top screw bit and release some fluid which will release the pressure and the brake work just great but then when she leaves them for a week or two the brakes are solid again!!!

Please any ideas?

All the very best

David

Use pad spacers when the front wheel is removed. After the bike has been parked for a while you may need to squeeze the brake lever a few times to release the pad spacer.
Caliper seals usually have enough friction in them to resist this movement, now they've been used for a few years they're free to move with the constant expansion and contraction of the system.

D Tithecott said:
Hello folks.
I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me with a bit of a problem I am having with a mates bke.

She has a Giant with hydraulic brakes (I think they are RPM from memory but I may well be wrong) which are great and have served her well for just over 2 years. Recently though she has been having a few problems.

She stores her bike in a small dry shed (removing the front wheel as space is very limited) and will leave her bike for a week or two. recently though when she takes it out the brakes have often been totally locked on and she is unable to put the front wheel on as the calipers are closed.

At first I thought the fluid must be a bit old or have absorbed some water ... so I replaced the fluid. But then it happened again.

Now I can undo the top screw bit and release some fluid which will release the pressure and the brake work just great but then when she leaves them for a week or two the brakes are solid again!!!

Please any ideas?

All the very best

David