Locking a bike?

Ken M

Guest
This morning I took a little trip to the local X-Mart and while locking
my new ride, I noticed that my 72inch cable is not long enough to
secure both the front and rear wheels and the QR seat. I guess unless
you want to take your bike apart when you go in a store you need a
REALLY long cable, or two cables. I know this has probably been covered
here a million times but what is the current thinking on securing a
bike?

Ken

Ken M wrote:
> This morning I took a little trip to the local X-Mart and while locking
> my new ride, I noticed that my 72inch cable is not long enough to
> secure both the front and rear wheels and the QR seat. I guess unless
> you want to take your bike apart when you go in a store you need a
> REALLY long cable, or two cables. I know this has probably been covered
> here a million times but what is the current thinking on securing a
> bike?
>
> Ken

There's a fellow here who trailers his Rotwieler.

As usual Sheldon has sense on the subject:
http://sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html

Personally I always carry a medium-length cable and a really tiny light one.
If I expect to be parked somewhere dodgy I'll take a U-lock too.
I always replace QR seat bolts with regular allan bolts - how often do you
need to quickly remove your seat?

Ken M wrote:
> This morning I took a little trip to the local X-Mart and while locking
> my new ride, I noticed that my 72inch cable is not long enough to
> secure both the front and rear wheels and the QR seat. I guess unless
> you want to take your bike apart when you go in a store you need a
> REALLY long cable, or two cables. I know this has probably been covered
> here a million times but what is the current thinking on securing a
> bike?

I have a U-lock and a 48 inch cable. The cable has loops at the ends,
so I run the cable through the front wheel, put one loop through the
other (so it's like a long tail coming off the wheel), then put the
other loop on the U-lock which goes around the frame and rear wheel. I
bet if you put the U-lock high enough you can also run it through the
seat rails.

Adam

Ken M wrote:
> This morning I took a little trip to the local X-Mart and while locking
> my new ride, I noticed that my 72inch cable is not long enough to
> secure both the front and rear wheels and the QR seat. I guess unless
> you want to take your bike apart when you go in a store you need a
> REALLY long cable, or two cables. I know this has probably been covered
> here a million times but what is the current thinking on securing a
> bike?
>
> Ken

Nashbar has some rather nice 10mm cables in 36", 48", and 72" lengths.
On sale for $9.99. They come with a snap on fitting to carry the cable
while riding. They are well made, with the lock molded securely to the
cable -- as opposed to some that I have seen in which the locking part
can be broken with a screwdriver. The 72" cable should meet your needs.

--
Bob Wheeler --- http://www.bobwheeler.com/
ECHIP, Inc. ---

Ken M wrote:
> This morning I took a little trip to the local X-Mart and while locking
> my new ride, I noticed that my 72inch cable is not long enough to
> secure both the front and rear wheels and the QR seat. I guess unless
> you want to take your bike apart when you go in a store you need a
> REALLY long cable, or two cables. I know this has probably been covered
> here a million times but what is the current thinking on securing a
> bike?

First, unless you want to carry your seat around with you, replace that
quick release with a good reliable allen head bolt, most people who
steal seats don't carry tools with them.

One possible solution for the rest, carry both a heavy duty cable lock
and a U lock, then run the cable through the frame, and through the
front wheel, and around or through something solid. Put the Ulock
through the back wheel and between the seat stays, so it can't be
removed. Unfortunately long cable locks tend to use fairly thin cable,
and that's fairly easy to cut.

You can't prevent a bike theft, you want to slow them down long enough,
that it's not worth the time risk, especially if there is another bike
that is easier to steal.

I used to leave a U-lock at work, and this method would let me securely
lock both wheels and the frame.

SO...

Take off the front wheel, place it alongside the rear and there should
be enough cable to encompass both wheels and the rear triangle of the
frame with enough left over to thread through the seat rails.

- -

"May you have the winds at your back,
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Justy don't forget to lace the cable around a secure object as well ;-3)

- -

"May you have the winds at your back,
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

go rent PEE WEE HERMAN'S BIG ADVENTURE and check out his bicycle
lock/chain. (and it still got stolen!)
~Rob

"Ken M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
: This morning I took a little trip to the local X-Mart and while
locking
: my new ride, I noticed that my 72inch cable is not long enough
: secure both the front and rear wheels and the QR seat. I guess
unless
: you want to take your bike apart when you go in a store you
need a
: REALLY long cable, or two cables. I know this has probably been
covered
: here a million times but what is the current thinking on
securing a
: bike?
:
: Ken
:

>go rent PEE WEE HERMAN'S BIG ADVENTURE

THATS not going to happen! Maybe I can catch it on cable. I wouldn't
pay money to see anything that has "Pee Wee" in the title.

Ken

Oh, dude! Come on! That movie is AWESOME! And that bike....!
Woah!

Ken M wrote:
>>go rent PEE WEE HERMAN'S BIG ADVENTURE

> THATS not going to happen! Maybe I can catch it on cable. I wouldn't
> pay money to see anything that has "Pee Wee" in the title.
>
> Ken

My roommate and I were talking about that as we locked up our bikes
yesterday...haha

\\paul

>My roommate and I were talking about that as we locked up our bikes
yesterday...haha

So you went out and rented it? I am sorry for you.

Ken

I guess you just don't get it. Your loss. It's areally funny
movie, even if you're not stoned :)