Locking bike to pickup bed

mshyn

Jul 18, 2004
I'm considering getting a pickup truck and using it to transport my
bike. My only concern is how to prevent the bike from getting stolen
if I leave the truck unattended for an hour or two. Can anyone offer
some advice on the best way of securing a bike to a pickup truck ...
hopefully, some method that can't be easily circumvented?

Thanks,
MS

i know there are locking fork mounts, yak makes one.
obviously, the cross bar would have to be secured also.
or the fork mount secured to the bed floor or frame.

a long cable could pass thru the frame and both cab windows.

Your bed got any cargo eyelets at the corners? Secure a cable to one of them, and then throught the bike frame and wheels.

A buddy puts lays his bike flat, throws a blanket over the bike, throws an ugly old tarp over the blanket, and then puts a few weatherbeaten 2x4's on top of that. Doesn't secure the bike, but it doesn't look like there's anything worth stealing back there, either.

My solution was to get a truck with an extended cab and put the bike behind the seats.

Depending on what type of truck you have, you MAY be able to wiggle a Kryptonite U-lock in one of the front corners. I had a chevy truck and was able to attach this lock in the front corner of the bed and I never removed it till I sold the truck. I then just ran a cable lock through the U-lock and thru the frame whenever I needed to lock anything in there.

Now I have a Tacoma and it won't fit, so I just run a cable around the bar that holds my bike clamps. This bar is not very secure because it is attached by pressing against the side of the bed, but it at least means you can't just grab the bike and run. What I am planning on doing is getting a regular masterlock with an extended U-area and running it through one of the bed hooks/loops. Then I will be able to run a cable lock through the U, just like I did with the old Kryptonite.

WINGNUTT said:
Depending on what type of truck you have, you MAY be able to wiggle a Kryptonite U-lock in one of the front corners. I had a chevy truck and was able to attach this lock in the front corner of the bed and I never removed it till I sold the truck. I then just ran a cable lock through the U-lock and thru the frame whenever I needed to lock anything in there.

Now I have a Tacoma and it won't fit, so I just run a cable around the bar that holds my bike clamps. This bar is not very secure because it is attached by pressing against the side of the bed, but it at least means you can't just grab the bike and run. What I am planning on doing is getting a regular masterlock with an extended U-area and running it through one of the bed hooks/loops. Then I will be able to run a cable lock through the U, just like I did with the old Kryptonite.
put a big nasty dog in the back....