locking quick release skewers

tom

Guest
Hey all,

Pending a move to the big city, I am thinking about locking solutions
for my bike(s) when out and about. I'm definitely investing in a
Kryptonite New York U-lock. My bikes aren't particularly high value
(all 2nd hand, most I've paid is 300 squid, and that one probably won't
see much of the light of day..hack even cheaper!), but I am aware most
things get nicked in London.

So my question is, I don't really want to be carrying around 2 locks,
so I've been looking at the locking quick releases for wheels as an
alternative to a cable through the frame and wheels. Has anybody used
these, and do you have any recommendations? I know they're not
bombproof, but all I'm looking for is a sufficient deterrent to make it
not worth the trouble of trying to nick parts of or all of my bike.

Thanks,

Tom

tom wrote:

> So my question is, I don't really want to be carrying around 2 locks,
> so I've been looking at the locking quick releases for wheels as an
> alternative to a cable through the frame and wheels. Has anybody used
> these, and do you have any recommendations? I know they're not
> bombproof, but all I'm looking for is a sufficient deterrent to make it
> not worth the trouble of trying to nick parts of or all of my bike.

If you're after quick and simple [1], take off the front wheel, put it
next to the back wheel (between the back wheel and the bike
rack/railing/whatever) and stick the lock through the rack, front wheel
rim and back wheel rim in the middle of the rear triangle. Don't worry
about putting the lock around the frame as removing a rear wheel with a
lock through the rear triangle is harder than you'd think. Mind you,
the New York lock I have does mean that this can restrict where you can
lock it as it is fairly tight on space (although I understand that
there are longer New York locks available now).

As usual, the great cycling deity, Sheldon Brown says all you need -
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html

:)

Graeme

[1] Trust me, it's quicker and simpler than using one of those damned
coiled cable locks through the wheels, plus you don't have to worry
about them springing back and whacking you (or is that just me?)

tom wrote:
> So my question is, I don't really want to be carrying around 2 locks,
> so I've been looking at the locking quick releases for wheels as an
> alternative to a cable through the frame and wheels.

Why not change them for non-QR skewers? And carry an allen key for just
in case.

d.

tom wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Pending a move to the big city, I am thinking about locking solutions
> for my bike(s) when out and about. I'm definitely investing in a
> Kryptonite New York U-lock. My bikes aren't particularly high value
> (all 2nd hand, most I've paid is 300 squid, and that one probably won't
> see much of the light of day..hack even cheaper!), but I am aware most
> things get nicked in London.
>
> So my question is, I don't really want to be carrying around 2 locks,
> so I've been looking at the locking quick releases for wheels as an
> alternative to a cable through the frame and wheels. Has anybody used
> these, and do you have any recommendations? I know they're not
> bombproof, but all I'm looking for is a sufficient deterrent to make it
> not worth the trouble of trying to nick parts of or all of my bike.
>
> Thanks,
>

> Tom

As a secondary advantage, the locking QRs also prevent thieves/assorted
scum from easily flipping the QR open lever for fun or as "revenge" for
being unable to nick the wheels or bike due to other locks.

We've heard a few stories about that before - don't know if they're all
true, but there were a fair number of cases reported...

Likewise, they can't easily nick the skewers themselves, one of the few
bits of the bike that can otherwise be readily removed without tools.

If you get ones that require a specific key (as opposed to a regular
allan key or similar), I'd suggest you put it on your house key-ring.
That way, it's always with you when you're out of the house. Leaving
it in with the puncture kit or whatever constiutes a deliberate
provocation of Murphy. Don't ask..

hth,

bookieb.

> Why not change them for non-QR skewers? And carry an allen key for just
> in case.

it's more likely the thief might carry an allen key (if I were a bike
thief, I would!) than bother to find tools to undo a locking skewer..

> We've heard a few stories about that before - don't know if they're all
> true, but there were a fair number of cases reported...

yeah, I know someone who had their QRs undone on the street, and I've
known a few people having their brakes disconnected.

These are the sort of checks I should do before I ride off, but I never
remember..

tom wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Pending a move to the big city, I am thinking about locking solutions
> for my bike(s) when out and about. I'm definitely investing in a
> Kryptonite New York U-lock. My bikes aren't particularly high value
> (all 2nd hand, most I've paid is 300 squid, and that one probably
> won't see much of the light of day..hack even cheaper!), but I am
> aware most things get nicked in London.
>
> So my question is, I don't really want to be carrying around 2 locks,
> so I've been looking at the locking quick releases for wheels as an
> alternative to a cable through the frame and wheels. Has anybody used
> these, and do you have any recommendations? I know they're not
> bombproof, but all I'm looking for is a sufficient deterrent to make
> it not worth the trouble of trying to nick parts of or all of my bike.

The Tranz X skewers that take a pentagon key (as opposed to the allen key
version) provide a medium amount of security with a good amount of
practicality and a small amount of expense. Search eBay for "Trans X"
(sic). Not QR but they're quick enough to use, and clamp OK.

A QR with removable lever wouldn't necessarily be more secure because
theives are just as likely to have a spare special lever as a spare
special key.

There are more secure skewers (Pitlock?), but you'll have more hassle if
you loose a key.

A small cable lock in addition for the front wheel wouldn't be a lot of
hassle to carry around.

~PB

tom wrote:
> yeah, I know someone who had their QRs undone on the street, and I've
> known a few people having their brakes disconnected.

I once came back to my bike to find someone had tried to cut through a
brake cable. Fortunately, (a) it was the rear, and (b) they failed
anyway. Still... the bastards!

d.

tom wrote:
> it's more likely the thief might carry an allen key (if I were a bike
> thief, I would!) than bother to find tools to undo a locking skewer..

Sorry, wasn't reading properly - didn't realise you were talking about
locking QRs. Tbh, not a subject I know much about...

d.

me wrote:
> didn't realise you were talking about locking QRs.

ie I misread 'locking' as a verb rather than an adjective... must wake
up...

d.

tom wrote:

> So my question is, I don't really want to be carrying around 2 locks,

It's worth carrying a light cable lock around anyway. As well as
locking the wheels on you can use it for those occasions when you want
to quickly pop into a shop but there's nowhere handy that you can get a
U-lock around, locking up helmet or empty panniers, or back-up when you
weren't expecting to leave the bike so you didn't want to carry the
heavy lock.

I keep a U-lock at work (Wilkinson's, four quid) so I don't need to
carry one on the commute, but the cable lock stays on the bike just in
case.