Locking skewers,any good ones ?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Banatean, Aug 23, 2003.

1. Banatean

Banatean New Member

Call me paranoid...,but i want to make our bikes "theft proof" as much as posible.Since i already bought Cryptonite's top of the line "U" locks (NY 3000) and their chain as well (Fahgetaboudit) i thought of buying their skewer set as well.I read a review where a guy said that they stripp very easily...(kinda funny because they are made right here in Edmonton,Alberta-Canada) if overtorqued,plus they rust too (they were supposed to be "stainless steel").So now i'm confused big time...
    Somebody mentioned Gonzo brand but i can't find their locking skewer set,also Pit Lock out of Germany have some stuff but i can't understand german...unless somebody wants to translate for me...(www.pitlock.de).
    Mass confussion
    :(
    Thank you

Tags:

2. Banatean

Banatean New Member

Like my other posting in MB,so i guess nobody locks up their bike completely ?,i wanna get a set of PIT LOCK locking skewers (Made in Germany) but i can't find anyone that sells them in US or Canada,can anybody help here ?
    Thank you

3. vlad

vlad New Member

4. Banatean

Banatean New Member

Thank you.

5. SCEhardt

SCEhardt New Member

I just purchased some locking skewers from http://www.veratomic.com and they seem to be very good! I like the way they keep the quick-release design which I feel holds a wheel on better than a screw-on type.

6. daveornee

daveornee New Member

Remember that a locking skewer only secures the fron wheel to the fork.
    I saw a thief in action, in Chicago, with just a Allen wrench remove the front wheel and fork as a unit. At first I thought he was just tightening his brake cable. I then watched him unbolt the stem and realized that he was in process of stealing fork and front wheel as a unit. The bicycle involved has a threadless fork.
    I was able to get the police to catch him before he got away.
    In this situation I later talked to the owner who didn't want to take the time to lock the front wheel to the fame. He was using the Kryptonite locking skewer.

7. Urbanbike

Urbanbike New Member

I have recently (March 2006) become an authorized PITLOCK dealer for exactly the reason you stated. I import in quantity so I can offer them at prices that are at least reasonable to US and Canadian bikers.

My site URL is in my profile.