Locking skewers

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Steve Braun, Apr 24, 2003.

  1. Steve Braun

    Steve Braun Guest

    Tags:

  2. I've got the kryptonites. I ended up taking them off my mountain bike, because:
    1) I couldn't find an appropriate collar to take the seatpost lock, only the same QR one it came
    with (very strange size)
    2) Taking wheels off is still a bit of a hassle, especially if I have to dig into my bag
    for the "key"
    3) I don't lock my bike up anywhere other than a pretty secure bike room with a big Kryptonite NY
    lock and a nice thick cable.

    However, whenever I build up a bike to ride around campus with, or take shopping or whatever, those
    locks are going on in a second. I'm sure you could pick them if you really tried, but it'd be a
    bitch and a half, and as long as your bike is in a fairly obvious place, nobody is going to mess
    with them. Make sure you bring a normal lock too though!

    Jon Bond

    Steve Braun wrote:
    > I looking for feedback on each of these locking skewer sets:
    >
    > Kryptonite Locking skewer set
    > http://www.kryptonitelock.com/inetisscripts/abtinetis.exe/PublicArticleDetai
    > [email protected]?artid=3032&atf=products_item&pgrp=20
    >
    > Pitlock http://www.pitlock.com/index.html
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Steve Tucson

    > Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

  3. Scic

    Scic Guest

    >From: "Steve Braun"

    >I looking for feedback on each of these locking skewer(s)...

    At the past Chicago Bike Show a small, independent manufacturer offered a skewer whose lever could
    be removed after closing. One lever opened and closed a matched skewer pair. The lever could stay on
    one of the skewers or be removed if the bike was left unattended. Unfortunately, I don't recall the
    company's name but a skewered web search may find it.

    Sig Chicago

  4. George W

    George W Guest

    "Scic" wrote

    > At the past Chicago Bike Show a small, independent manufacturer offered a skewer whose lever could
    > be removed after closing. One lever opened and closed a matched skewer pair. The lever could stay
    on one
    > of the skewers or be removed if the bike was left unattended. Unfortunately, I don't recall the
    > company's name but a skewered web search
    may
    > find it.

    They're called the Quick Lock, made by Veratomic. There's more information at
    www.myquicklock.com . I'm planning to buy a set for myself, sounds more convenient than the nut
    and bolt type locking skewers.

    George

  5. Ajames54™

    Ajames54™ Guest

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 18:11:25 -0700, "Steve Braun" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I looking for feedback on each of these locking skewer sets:
    >
    >Kryptonite Locking skewer set http://www.kryptonitelock.com/inetisscripts/abtinetis.exe/PublicArti-
    >[email protected]?artid=3032&atf=products_item&pgrp=20
    >
    >Pitlock http://www.pitlock.com/index.html

    neither one of these is a new idea... If I had to pick between the two I would choose Kryptonite
    simply because of their history...

    however for the last 15 years I've been pretty happy with 79 cent hose clamps on my
    commuter bike ...

    any lock can be broken with the right tools the key is to be a harder target than that bike just
    over there

  6. Gary Young

    Gary Young Guest

    "Steve Braun" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I looking for feedback on each of these locking skewer sets:
    >
    > Kryptonite Locking skewer set
    > http://www.kryptonitelock.com/inetisscripts/abtinetis.exe/PublicArticleDetai
    > [email protected]?artid=3032&atf=products_item&pgrp=20
    >
    > Pitlock http://www.pitlock.com/index.html

    I have the Pitlock and like it. Pitlock sells replacement parts and you can get additional skewers
    keyed the same way (so that you can use one key on several bikes). I wrote to Kryptonite to see if
    they could do the same and never got a reply. The Pitlock key is smaller than the Kryptonite one,
    but you'll need to put it on a big keyring or use a hex key if you want to get the right torque. I
    think Sheldon Brown has warned that neither system should be used with horizontal dropouts (since I
    always lock my rear wheel I don't use a Pitlock skewer there). I can tighten the front wheel
    sufficiently with a keyring, but I have to use a hex key (which passes through two holes in the
    Pitlock key) to tighten the seatpost enough.

    One other benefit of Pitlock is that they make keyed bolts for brakes and headsets. (I haven't
    used those.)