Locking up a racing bike

Andrew Price

Guest
I'm looking for a solution to lock my bike to a lamp-post for 2 to 3
minutes, just the time to buy something to eat or drink in a shop - in
other words, short term protection against opportunist theft, rather
than determined thieves equipped with bolt cutters etc.

I don't see the point in carrying a 1.5 kilo super Fort Knox U-lock on
a bike weighing only 9 kilos - a determined thief with tools would
eventually crack that, too, given enough time. Any recommendations
for something lightweight but strong enough to resist sticky-fingered
amateurs for a minute or so?

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 19:00:55 +0200, Andrew Price wrote:

> I'm looking for a solution to lock my bike to a lamp-post for 2 to 3
> minutes, just the time to buy something to eat or drink in a shop - in
> other words, short term protection against opportunist theft, rather
> than determined thieves equipped with bolt cutters etc.
>
> I don't see the point in carrying a 1.5 kilo super Fort Knox U-lock on
> a bike weighing only 9 kilos - a determined thief with tools would
> eventually crack that, too, given enough time. Any recommendations
> for something lightweight but strong enough to resist sticky-fingered
> amateurs for a minute or so?

Absolute minimalist lock:

http://www.whiplock.com/

Better quality than most ring-combination jobs.

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 19:00:55 +0200, Andrew Price <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I'm looking for a solution to lock my bike to a lamp-post for 2 to 3
>minutes, just the time to buy something to eat or drink in a shop - in
>other words, short term protection against opportunist theft, rather
>than determined thieves equipped with bolt cutters etc.
>
>I don't see the point in carrying a 1.5 kilo super Fort Knox U-lock on
>a bike weighing only 9 kilos - a determined thief with tools would
>eventually crack that, too, given enough time. Any recommendations
>for something lightweight but strong enough to resist sticky-fingered
>amateurs for a minute or so?

If you're just trying to discourage opportunists try lacing your
helmet straps around a seat stay and through a couple of spokes.

Yet another reason to wear a helmet. ;-)

--
jeverett3<AT>sbcglobal<DOT>net (John V. Everett)

Andrew Price wrote:
> I'm looking for a solution to lock my bike to a lamp-post for 2 to 3
> minutes, just the time to buy something to eat or drink in a shop - in
> other words, short term protection against opportunist theft, rather
> than determined thieves equipped with bolt cutters etc.
>
> I don't see the point in carrying a 1.5 kilo super Fort Knox U-lock on
> a bike weighing only 9 kilos - a determined thief with tools would
> eventually crack that, too, given enough time. Any recommendations
> for something lightweight but strong enough to resist sticky-fingered
> amateurs for a minute or so?

I have a Safeman lock which coils onto a small self-winder wheel. It cost
about £3 from Aldi a couple of years ago.
Same lock was favourably reviewed in the CTC mag at the time for about £16.

Its small, light, easy to carry. Adequate against ride-off opportunists.
No protection against anyone vaguely equipped for theft of cycles. I'm
happy to use it in low risk areas.

http://www.safeman.de/

Putting "Safeman Lock" into google.co.uk throws up a few retailers who offer
it.

( well, I actually have a couple, different colours, and have painted the
keys to match the body colour so I don't get confused when locking two
bikes).

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Am Fri, 27 Apr 2007 17:05:40 GMT schrieb _:

> On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 19:00:55 +0200, Andrew Price wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a solution to lock my bike to a lamp-post for 2 to 3
>> minutes, just the time to buy something to eat or drink in a shop - in
>> other words, short term protection against opportunist theft, rather
>> than determined thieves equipped with bolt cutters etc.
>>
>> I don't see the point in carrying a 1.5 kilo super Fort Knox U-lock on
>> a bike weighing only 9 kilos - a determined thief with tools would
>> eventually crack that, too, given enough time. Any recommendations
>> for something lightweight but strong enough to resist sticky-fingered
>> amateurs for a minute or so?

> Absolute minimalist lock:
>
> http://www.whiplock.com/
>
> Better quality than most ring-combination jobs.

I wonder how one would fiddle this lock into the drop handlebars of a
racing bike :)
I recently spotted a foldable lock, which seems to be rather compact when
not in used, the model Abus Bordo:
http://cyclexpress.co.uk/products/Bordo.aspx
Maybe that would suit a racing bike?

Andreas

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 18:33:21 +0100, Andreas Schulze-Bäing wrote:

> Am Fri, 27 Apr 2007 17:05:40 GMT schrieb _:
>
>> On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 19:00:55 +0200, Andrew Price wrote:
>>
>>> I'm looking for a solution to lock my bike to a lamp-post for 2 to 3
>>> minutes, just the time to buy something to eat or drink in a shop - in
>>> other words, short term protection against opportunist theft, rather
>>> than determined thieves equipped with bolt cutters etc.
>>>
>>> I don't see the point in carrying a 1.5 kilo super Fort Knox U-lock on
>>> a bike weighing only 9 kilos - a determined thief with tools would
>>> eventually crack that, too, given enough time. Any recommendations
>>> for something lightweight but strong enough to resist sticky-fingered
>>> amateurs for a minute or so?

>> Absolute minimalist lock:
>>
>> http://www.whiplock.com/
>>
>> Better quality than most ring-combination jobs.

> I wonder how one would fiddle this lock into the drop handlebars of a
> racing bike :)

Dead easy - you just slide it in.

_ wrote:

> Dead easy - you just slide it in.

Except "tech support" says fits all bars apart from "road style" which
seems to mean the cable won't go round the bends ....

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 18:50:38 +0100, Dan Gregory wrote:

> _ wrote:
>
>> Dead easy - you just slide it in.

> Except "tech support" says fits all bars apart from "road style" which
> seems to mean the cable won't go round the bends ....

Well, they're wrong. I had one, and it just slides in.

John Everett wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 19:00:55 +0200, Andrew Price <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a solution to lock my bike to a lamp-post for 2 to 3
>> minutes, just the time to buy something to eat or drink in a shop -
>> in other words, short term protection against opportunist theft,
>> rather than determined thieves equipped with bolt cutters etc.
>>
>> I don't see the point in carrying a 1.5 kilo super Fort Knox U-lock
>> on a bike weighing only 9 kilos - a determined thief with tools would
>> eventually crack that, too, given enough time. Any recommendations
>> for something lightweight but strong enough to resist sticky-fingered
>> amateurs for a minute or so?

> If you're just trying to discourage opportunists try lacing your
> helmet straps around a seat stay and through a couple of spokes.
>
> Yet another reason to wear a helmet. ;-)

Nice! <eg>

_ wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 18:50:38 +0100, Dan Gregory wrote:
>
>> _ wrote:
>>
>>> Dead easy - you just slide it in.

>> Except "tech support" says fits all bars apart from "road style" which
>> seems to mean the cable won't go round the bends ....

> Well, they're wrong. I had one, and it just slides in.

Sounds good then. What bars do you have?

Andrew Price wrote:
> I'm looking for a solution to lock my bike to a lamp-post for 2 to 3
> minutes, just the time to buy something to eat or drink in a shop

Take it in the shop with you, or drop the front wheel out and take that
in. On my "racing" (hmmm) bike that's as quick as arsing about with a
lock, and I generally take the wheels out with me anyway, so don't have
to remember an extra "thing". Opportunists prolly won't see your classy
road bike and think it's worth having even without one of the wheels.

hth,

Tony B

On Apr 27, 12:00 pm, Andrew Price <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm looking for a solution to lock my bike to a lamp-post for 2 to 3
> minutes, just the time to buy something to eat or drink in a shop - in
> other words, short term protection against opportunist theft, rather
> than determined thieves equipped with bolt cutters etc.

Depends on what town you're in. I'd not leave my bike for ten seconds
without a mini-U Lock in SF, Portland OR, or NYC. However, I was just
in Atlanta and saw plenty of decent quality bikes locked with
incredibly gimpy cables. So depends on the thieves in your area.

I always use my Onguard mini U lock. It's only 2# and plenty strong
enough for these parts.

If you were in northern Europe some would say just get a bolt-on wheel
lock--but then again, I've had a bike taken in Gothenburg with one of
those. They might be ubiquitous, but they still suck.

Andrew Price wrote:
> I'm looking for a solution to lock my bike to a lamp-post for 2 to 3
> minutes, just the time to buy something to eat or drink in a shop - in
> other words, short term protection against opportunist theft, rather
> than determined thieves equipped with bolt cutters etc.
>
> I don't see the point in carrying a 1.5 kilo super Fort Knox U-lock on
> a bike weighing only 9 kilos - a determined thief with tools would
> eventually crack that, too, given enough time. Any recommendations
> for something lightweight but strong enough to resist sticky-fingered
> amateurs for a minute or so?

Casual opportunists don't even attempt to break locks. A cheapo crappo
lightweight cable lock has been enough to prevent the idea of theft popping
into their heads, in my experience of twenty-five years of using one while
popping into shops for 3 minutes.

Have a look in pound shops, department stores, supermarkets, etc. Anything
more secure will be much heavier and bulkier. I save my D lock for my
crappiest bike!

~PB

In rec.bicycles.misc Dan Gregory <[email protected]> wrote:
> _ wrote:
>
>> Dead easy - you just slide it in.

> Except "tech support" says fits all bars apart from "road style" which
> seems to mean the cable won't go round the bends ....

Plus, I'd imagine I'd have a hard time removing my bar-end shifters every time
I wanted to lock up...

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
"Kill one man and you are a murderer. Kill millions and you

"_" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 19:00:55 +0200, Andrew Price wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a solution to lock my bike to a lamp-post for 2 to 3
>> minutes, just the time to buy something to eat or drink in a shop - in
>> other words, short term protection against opportunist theft, rather
>> than determined thieves equipped with bolt cutters etc.
>>
>> I don't see the point in carrying a 1.5 kilo super Fort Knox U-lock on
>> a bike weighing only 9 kilos - a determined thief with tools would
>> eventually crack that, too, given enough time. Any recommendations
>> for something lightweight but strong enough to resist sticky-fingered
>> amateurs for a minute or so?

> Absolute minimalist lock:
>
> http://www.whiplock.com/
>
> Better quality than most ring-combination jobs.

A NYC bike thief will break it just by looking at it.

"Andrew Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Any recommendations
> for something lightweight but strong enough to resist sticky-fingered
> amateurs for a minute or so?

I carry a 4' kryptonite cable and a padlock for this purpose. I also use the
cable at work connected to my u-lock to lock the front wheel.

Jc.

"Tony B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Take it in the shop with you, or drop the front wheel out and take that
> in. On my "racing" (hmmm) bike that's as quick as arsing about with a
> lock, and I generally take the wheels out with me anyway, so don't have to
> remember an extra "thing". Opportunists prolly won't see your classy road
> bike and think it's worth having even without one of the wheels.

I sometimes get asked by work collegues to pick up things from town when I
go home for lunch each day. I have wheeled my bike into Boots, Sainsbury's,
Natwest, WHSmith and even Pets at Home and not yet been "challenged"! As
my bike is stored in the spare bedroom and gets parked in my office at work
I have not actually ever got round to purchasing a lock yet!

cheers adrian www.boliston.co.uk

in message <[email protected]>, Andrew Price
('[email protected]') wrote:

> I'm looking for a solution to lock my bike to a lamp-post for 2 to 3
> minutes, just the time to buy something to eat or drink in a shop - in
> other words, short term protection against opportunist theft, rather
> than determined thieves equipped with bolt cutters etc.
>
> I don't see the point in carrying a 1.5 kilo super Fort Knox U-lock on
> a bike weighing only 9 kilos - a determined thief with tools would
> eventually crack that, too, given enough time. Any recommendations
> for something lightweight but strong enough to resist sticky-fingered
> amateurs for a minute or so?

When I've got either of my good bikes out of the house, it's never out of
my sight. When I'm going on the sort of journey which involves leaving the
bike for even a few moments, I don't take a good bike. I have a 15 year
old bike which I treat as a utility bike, which does those sorts of
journeys; and, when out on that, I carry a fairly light coiled cable and
padlock. A determined thief could cut it with a pair of bolt croppers in a
moment, but if I lost that bike it wouldn't be hard to replace it.

But you're right - there's no point spending hundreds of pounds shaving
grammes of a bike, and then carrying a kilogramme of lock.

The Conservative Party is now dead. The corpse may still be
twitching, but resurrection is not an option - unless Satan
chucks them out of Hell as too objectionable even for him.

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 19:59:48 +0100, Dan Gregory wrote:

> _ wrote:

>>> Except "tech support" says fits all bars apart from "road style" which
>>> seems to mean the cable won't go round the bends ....

>> Well, they're wrong. I had one, and it just slides in.

> Sounds good then. What bars do you have?

Cinelli.

"Andrew Price" wrote: (clip) to lock my bike to a lamp-post for 2 to 3
minutes, just the time to buy something to eat or drink in a shop (clip)
Same place every day? How about leaving a lock and cable on the lamp post?