lockring removal (holding a single sprocket on a track hub)

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi
>
> Would anyone recommend against using this
>
> http://tinyurl.com/9hrmg
>
> to remove this
>
> http://www.betd.co.uk/product.asp?ProductID=261
>
> as, unless I'm being stupid, none of e.g the Park tool FR-x things seem
> to be suitable.
>
> Any advice or other tool recommendations appreciated!
>
> ccr

Try one of the Park Pin Spanners. They do a few like this
http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=25&item=SPA-2

I 've got a blue one for track use.

Best of the lot is either one of the old Campag lockring and chainwrench
spanners or the newer Shimano one (got one but not the part number,
Condor Cycles have them in stock)

--
"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal" (Fowler, Chicken Run)

Pete Whelan wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Would anyone recommend against using this
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/9hrmg
> >
> > to remove this
> >
> > http://www.betd.co.uk/product.asp?ProductID=261
> >
> > as, unless I'm being stupid, none of e.g the Park tool FR-x things seem
> > to be suitable.
> >
> > Any advice or other tool recommendations appreciated!
> >
> > ccr
> >

> Try one of the Park Pin Spanners. They do a few like this
> http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=25&item=SPA-2
>
> I've got a blue one for track use.

The SPA3, which seems to have disappeared from their catalogue and uk
online shops too - weird!

Found the hook spanners too. And the HCW5.

> Best of the lot is either one of the old Campag lockring and chainwrench
> spanners or the newer Shimano one (got one but not the part number,
> Condor Cycles have them in stock)

Thanks for the tip! I have to pop in there in the next few days anyway.

More spanner searches. This seems good value and might work:
http://tinyurl.com/bx5ud .

Just back to the original question, would that cheap Draper tool
suffice?

ccr

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi
>
> Would anyone recommend against using this
>
> http://tinyurl.com/9hrmg
>
> to remove this
>
> http://www.betd.co.uk/product.asp?ProductID=261
>
> as, unless I'm being stupid, none of e.g the Park tool FR-x things
> seem to be suitable.
>
> Any advice or other tool recommendations appreciated!
>
> ccr

I use a hammer and screwdriver on mine ( with an inflated tyre on the
wheel). It does dig into the lockring a little bit, but not enough to break
it in the next few years.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

Andy Morris wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Would anyone recommend against using this
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/9hrmg
> >
> > to remove this
> >
> > http://www.betd.co.uk/product.asp?ProductID=261
> >
> > as, unless I'm being stupid, none of e.g the Park tool FR-x things
> > seem to be suitable.
> >
> > Any advice or other tool recommendations appreciated!
> >
> > ccr

> I use a hammer and screwdriver on mine ( with an inflated tyre on the
> wheel). It does dig into the lockring a little bit, but not enough to break
> it in the next few years.

Fair enough. When you replace it do you use the same sort of technique
to get it on tight enough?

ccr

Andy Morris wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Would anyone recommend against using this
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/9hrmg
> >
> > to remove this
> >
> > http://www.betd.co.uk/product.asp?ProductID=261
> >
> > as, unless I'm being stupid, none of e.g the Park tool FR-x things
> > seem to be suitable.
> >
> > Any advice or other tool recommendations appreciated!
> >
> > ccr

> I use a hammer and screwdriver on mine ( with an inflated tyre on the
> wheel). It does dig into the lockring a little bit, but not enough to break
> it in the next few years.
>

> --
> Andy Morris
>
> AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK
>
> Love this:
> Put an end to Outlook Express's messy quotes

I use a very old Raleigh bike spanner which has a hook affair to remove
old fashioned BB lockrings. A hammer is often used to apply necessary
force

In article <[email protected]>,
MSeries <[email protected]> wrote:
> I use a very old Raleigh bike spanner which has a hook affair to
> remove old fashioned BB lockrings. A hammer is often used to apply
> necessary force

A 12" footprint works very well in both directions.

--
T h e - e x t e n d e r ! ! ! !

[email protected] wrote:
> Andy Morris wrote:
>> I use a hammer and screwdriver on mine ( with an inflated tyre on the
>> wheel). It does dig into the lockring a little bit, but not enough
>> to break it in the next few years.

> Fair enough. When you replace it do you use the same sort of technique
> to get it on tight enough?
>
> ccr

Yep.

I'm not sure any sort of lockring spanner will get the torque needed.
Compare the contact area with an old fashioned freewheel remover.

--

Andy Morris wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>>Andy Morris wrote:
>>
>>>I use a hammer and screwdriver on mine ( with an inflated tyre on the
>>>wheel). It does dig into the lockring a little bit, but not enough
>>>to break it in the next few years.

>>Fair enough. When you replace it do you use the same sort of technique
>>to get it on tight enough?
>>
>>ccr

> Yep.
>
> I'm not sure any sort of lockring spanner will get the torque needed.
> Compare the contact area with an old fashioned freewheel remover.

you don't need a lot of torque on a lockring for it to function
correctly. Don't forget it is two opposite threads pushing against
each other. I've not had one come loose on me whilst grass track racing
(a considerably bumpier surface than a road)
--
"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal" (Fowler, Chicken Run)