Locks & Security

anonyy

Aug 28, 2011
i am looking to get a good lock for my bike i already have one of those cheap thick combination cable locks by giant - haven't used it in public yet only at work as i dont want to take any risks.

if i could carry three locks on me i would but i am settling for two can anyone help me with a good D/U lock.

also is it possible for the frame & tires to have some sort of micochip so that gps could pick it up should it get nicked?

by the way i have bolt on wheels and i live in UK

many thanks

bought an abus one but not sure how to lock it with the cable/combination one i have too?

help

I personally do not feel comfortable with any sort of chain lock. I have seen and experienced too many bike being stolen while under the protection of a chain lock. I am currently using a master lock U-bolt lock that I feel good about. I suggest using any sort of U-bolt style lock. I use this http://www.masterlock.com/products/product_details.jsp?lockStyle=Keyed&typeOfEnvironment=Outdoors&lockUpValue=High&category=MLCOM_BikeLocks&SubCategory1=MLCOM_BikeLocks_KeyedU-Locks&modelNumber=MLCOM_PRODUCT_8196D. In addition to good security they hold a $1000 guarantee. Also Im in the States so Idk if that makes a difference or not. Hope this helps

Any lock can be compromised so I'm not comfortable with locking any of my bikes up where I can't keep an eye on them. If I have to leave the bike someplace locked up then I take my beater, if it gets stolen I won't be crying. It's cheaper to buy a beater then it is to buy just one really nice lock!

Originally Posted by anonyy .

I have no idea what abeater is, so anyway how should I be locking the bike?

A beater is a used bike you buy for cheap like under a $150, you take this to risky places where you normally would lock your good bike. If you take your good bike worth say $1200 (I have no idea how much your bike is worth, I'm just throwing a number out), and spend $150 in a lock and find out at some point the lock either failed or they stripped your parts off that bike then your out of a nice bike. Instead buy a beater as mentioned earlier, buy a less expensive lock of around $40 range and lock that up instead. Then if someone takes the bike your not crying.

If for some reason what I said doesn't jive with you and you still want to use your good bike, that's entirely up to you. In that case the cable lock you currently have is insufficient, but buying three locks is not necessary either. I would use the cable lock, then buy a really nice Kryptonite New York Standard that has a 16mm shackle with an 8" length. Then you simply remove the front wheel and place it along side the rear slightly forward so that you can lock both the rear wheel, the frame (the seat tube, or stays, not the seat post) and the front wheel to a solid sturdy object, if you can't get the U-bolt to fit that way then just the frame and the rear wheel to the the object. Then you take your current cable lock and run the cable through the front wheel and around the rear wheel and the frame to the same sturdy object.

There are videos that show how this is done, but be careful because some are showing the incorrect way such as this one: http://www.hulu.com/watch/95068/howdini-how-to-properly-lock-up-a-bike This guy fails to lock his rear wheel to the frame to the solid object. I do like his idea of taking the front wheel with you though, but sometimes depending on circumstances you may not be able to that. Like I said earlier ideally if you can't take the front wheel with you, then remove and attempt to lock the front to the rear and frame and object. If you can't do that do to limited reach then you will have to use the cable to lock the front to the frame to the rear wheel to the stationary object.

Some videos show a person using both a U-lock and a cable, but using the U-lock as the lock for the cable instead of having a separate lock for the cable, I don't agree with this method because once the U-lock is defeated so is the cable.

All of these videos show a person locking to a pole or such, in a bike rack though it's a bit different, you should back the bike in instead of nosing it in and lock the rear wheel to the frame to the rack, again either take the front wheel with you or bring it to the rear so you can lock both wheels, frame and rack together, or if the U-lock won't reach and you can't take the wheel use the cable to secure the front wheel to the rear wheel and frame to the rack.

I like the idea of having two different locks because the thief would then have to carry two different kind of tools to defeat the two different kind of locks, and their simply not going to that because it looks suspicious moving around in public like that! Even a person adept at picking a lock would have to spend more time picking two locks then just one. Thus with two different type of locks the thief will more then likely move to an easier target.

Using a beater bike instead means you don't need to buy another lock just use the one you have.

I hope this lengthy BS has helped.

I did mention that I have bolt on wheels. Should I use the cable one to wrap round fro Tehran and frame to the object or round whole bike and use my ulock (abus) for back wheel only. I am not buying Nymore bikes mine is worth less than £300 I am getting a rack should I leave the bags on or take it off?

I did mention that I have bolt on wheels.

Should I use the cable one to wrap round fro Tehran and frame to the object or round whole bike and use my ulock (abus) for back wheel only.

I am not buying Nymore bikes mine is worth less than £300 I am getting a rack should I leave the bags on or take it off?
Yes you did mention that, and bolts are very easy to remove.

Take the bags off and frame pump too.

I did mention that I have bolt on wheels. Should I use the cable one to wrap round the front wheel and frame to the object or round whole bike and use my ulock (abus) for back wheel only. I am not buying Nymore bikes mine is worth less than £300 I am getting a rack should I leave the pannier on or take it off? Yes you did mention that, and bolts are very easy to remove.

i don't really want to unbolt the wheels, even in the short amount of time i have had this bike i can see that there are loads of people still using only a cable lock some are quite thin, in this case should i buy a secondary u/d lock for my front wheel as well; in essence making it that i have two d/u locks and the cable/combination lock?

its not a flash bike it has 700x40 tires not knobly looks like a mountain style wise, i have seen some stickers which make it look like it is old/rusty so i might try them too.

my brother has had a bike for over 30 years and has only had one nicked because he didn't lock it, he even had a plush scott road (highly desirable) bike this years model and just used a single u/d lock wherever he used it.

i just have to pray/hope mine wont look interesting to other people

i just want to employ whatever tactics to reduce the chances of someone nicking it as i'm completely new to biking so i need as much info as possible. where should i look to lock it, somewhere where the are more bikes or less?

Originally Posted by Froze .

Yes you did mention that, and bolts are very easy to remove.

Take the bags off and frame pump too.

wont let me view the video as its for USA only, got any more good vids i could watch?

wont let me view the video as its for USA only, got any more good vids i could watch?

Here is a web site that if you scan down to toward the lower 1/3 of the page you see how to lock the bike using a U-Lock by removing the front wheel and putting it alongside the rear in the second drawing. There is also a diagram on how to use 2 locks, a U lock and cable lock in the first drawing; you can also do what the second drawing shows and use both a U lock and a cable lock; or you can take the front wheel with you and still use both locks, or just a U lock. SEE: http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/howtolock.html

I wouldn't leave your helmet as the drawing shows because it could be gone, as would a pump or anything else you have attached like a seat bag, I even remove my computer off the mount.

Like I mentioned earlier, I like the idea of two different type of locks because a potential thief would have to have two different tools to defeat each one, the cable is the easiest to defeat, but combined with a U-Lock it will be a huge hassle and the thief will move on to an easier target.

I did mention that I have bolt on wheels.

Should I use the cable one to wrap round fro Tehran and frame to the object or round whole bike and use my ulock (abus) for back wheel only.

I am not buying Nymore bikes mine is worth less than £300 I am getting a rack should I leave the bags on or take it off?
Don't use a cable! Cables are to easy to defeat. Your best bet is a good quality U-lock. Whenever you leve the bike take everything off that comes off easily. Bags, lights, pump, etc. I'm not sure what you mean by bolt on wheels but if you mean locking skewers that require a key that is your best bet. If your skewers have a nut holding the ends then those could easily b removed. Last caution, be aware of "sucker poles". Andd if you're thinking about a Master U=lock take a look at this first>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-LWGJzglho&feature=related

lol i already said i have a u lock but i still intend to use the combination cable one its very thick unless it is recommended to get a secondary ulock but then i'd want one with a long cable to attach the seat as well
Originally Posted by Moto700 .

Don't use a cable! Cables are to easy to defeat. Your best bet is a good quality U-lock. Whenever you leve the bike take everything off that comes off easily. Bags, lights, pump, etc. I'm not sure what you mean by bolt on wheels but if you mean locking skewers that require a key that is your best bet. If your skewers have a nut holding the ends then those could easily b removed. Last caution, be aware of "sucker poles". Andd if you're thinking about a Master U=lock take a look at this first>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-LWGJzglho&feature=related

Don't forget also to have your serial number of your bike written down somewhere in the unlikely event it does get stolen and later found you can prove it's yours beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I own a Kryptonite New York Standard lock and I admit it, I don't use it that much.... it is super robust if you need it! Keep in mine this bike lock is HEAVY!!! You just gave me an idea... If I want a more intense work on with my road bike, i'll just bring this lock along!!

Originally Posted by Froze .

Don't forget also to have your serial number of your bike written down somewhere in the unlikely event it does get stolen and later found you can prove it's yours beyond a shadow of a doubt.
Absolutely! The chances of recovery are slim. I believe you are in the UK and I don't know how insurance works there but here in the US if you have home owners or renters insurance you can file a claim on your insurance policy for the loss. Just make sure you have the serial number , receipt for the purchase, and pictures of the bike with all accessories and your insurance agent puts it on the policy. You won't get back all of the loss but you'll get back something. Good to plan ahead for against such unfortunate evils.

absolutely. I have it in a couple of places. I also like the idea of two U-locks and a cable. It just depends on where I am traveling, and how long I will be there. :) I appreciate the help.

Originally Posted by WolfpackNC12 .

I personally do not feel comfortable with any sort of chain lock. I have seen and experienced too many bike being stolen while under the protection of a chain lock. I am currently using a master lock U-bolt lock that I feel good about. I suggest using any sort of U-bolt style lock. I use this http://www.masterlock.com/products/product_details.jsp?lockStyle=Keyed&typeOfEnvironment=Outdoors&lockUpValue=High&category=MLCOM_BikeLocks&SubCategory1=MLCOM_BikeLocks_KeyedU-Locks&modelNumber=MLCOM_PRODUCT_8196D. In addition to good security they hold a $1000 guarantee. Also Im in the States so Idk if that makes a difference or not. Hope this helps
yup they are def the way to go - last summer had my favorite beach cruiser stolen (it was locked down with a chain lock) never again

not sure i could carry a chain as they some are heavy
Originally Posted by Aussie_Al .

yup they are def the way to go - last summer had my favorite beach cruiser stolen (it was locked down with a chain lock) never again