Locks Suggestions/Recommendations

Dimpled Chad

Guest
Hi,

I'm new here. I've lurked a bit, and googled some too. I got a new bike for my birthday (Fisher
Tiburon, their base Hybrid model) and I'm thinking about what I need to secure it. I mostly
ride around town (a suburb which shares a border with Chicago) or for leisure with my wife
(i.e., not to work).

The suggestions I've read seem all to suggest getting two locks, one a Kryptonite U-Lock and another
a good chain lock, the former securing the back wheel to the frame and the latter securing the frame
and the front wheel to whatever one would use to keep the bike there upon return. I've also found in
google the suggested link to Sheldon Brown's Lock Strategy
(http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html)

Does all that sound about right, or am I missing anything? Thanks, Chad

--
Looking for a pet? Adopt one! ** http://www.petfinder.com Info for a healthy, happy dog? *
http://www.dog-play.com

I still read the New York Times.

"I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt, and I am convinced
that basically dogs think humans are nuts."
- John Steinbeck

On 17 Jun 2003, Tom Keats opined:

> You might glean some helpful tips, pointers & insights from here:

Thank you! Chad

--
Looking for a pet? Adopt one! ** http://www.petfinder.com Info for a healthy, happy dog? *
http://www.dog-play.com

I still read the New York Times.

How come the AT&T logo looks like the Death Star?

On 17 Jun 2003, Dimpled Chad opined:

> On 17 Jun 2003, Tom Keats opined:
>
>> You might glean some helpful tips, pointers & insights from here:
>>

> Thank you!

ps: do you get this question *all* the time? Just curious. Thanks again. Looks like a great
site. Chad

--
Looking for a pet? Adopt one! ** http://www.petfinder.com Info for a healthy, happy dog? *
http://www.dog-play.com

I still read the New York Times.

Life is like a Car-wash and I'm on a bicycle.

In article <[email protected]>,
Dimpled Chad <[email protected]> writes:
> On 17 Jun 2003, Dimpled Chad opined:
>
>> On 17 Jun 2003, Tom Keats opined:
>>
>>> You might glean some helpful tips, pointers & insights from here:
>>>

>> Thank you!
>
> ps: do you get this question *all* the time? Just curious. Thanks again. Looks like a great site.
> Chad

It comes up fairly frequently. There seem to be about as many ideas & opinions on bike security as
there are riders, so there's really no "last word" on the subject. Differing locales, differing
purposes of riding, differing requirements ... it's a very broad subject. I just live by my own
three personal rules-of-thumb:

1) never run out of toilet paper
2) always know where my keys are
3) when I'm doing utility rides to the shops etc, exploit every opportunity to bring my bike indoors
with me, and then keep it within eyeshot as much as possible

cheers again, Tom