"Loiterers" cycle club in Surrey/London/South East

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tom C, Apr 19, 2003.

  1. Tom C

    Tom C Guest

    I'd like to cycle with other people on organised rides but am a slow cyclist who likes to take
    things easy. 20 miles would be the most I could manage and even that would be a challenge.

    While surfing the net I came across events organised by the Ripon Loiterers Cycle Club and my heart
    leapt - "snail pace ride to . . .", "slow and easy to . . . ", etc, etc.

    Now that's just the sort of thing I'm interested in. Alas, I live far from Yorkshire but would
    almost consider moving to join a club like that.

    So, I'm asking if anyone know of anything similiar to the Ripon Loiterers in the South East or
    London areas? I have a mountain bike but am also about to buy a Brompton folder so I can use public
    transport in the London area. I

    etc.

    Thanks in anticipation, Tom
    Blog: www.brightfield.org.uk Email: [email protected] "please remove this spambuster" ntlworld.com or
    [email protected] "please remove this spambuster" hotmail.com

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Tom C <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I'd like to cycle with other people on organised rides but am a slow cyclist who likes to take
    > things easy. 20 miles would be the most I could manage and even that would be a challenge.
    >
    > While surfing the net I came across events organised by the Ripon Loiterers Cycle Club and my
    > heart leapt - "snail pace ride to . . .", "slow and easy to . . . ", etc, etc.
    >
    > Now that's just the sort of thing I'm interested in. Alas, I live far from Yorkshire but would
    > almost consider moving to join a club like that.
    >
    > So, I'm asking if anyone know of anything similiar to the Ripon Loiterers in the South East or
    > London areas? I have a mountain bike but am also about to buy a Brompton folder so I can use
    > public transport in the

    > Hampshire, Berkshire etc.
    >
    > Thanks in anticipation, Tom

    The Cambridge Cycling Campaign runs a monthly Leisurely Ride which has the advantage of being
    relatively flat. Details are on their events page at http://www.camcycle.org.uk/events/. You can get
    to Cambridge in 40 mins from Kings Cross and its about a mile from the station to the meeting point.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to
    adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George
    Bernard Shaw

  3. John Hearns

    John Hearns Guest

    On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 09:14:59 +0100, Tom C wrote:

    > I'd like to cycle with other people on organised rides but am a slow cyclist who likes to take
    > things easy. 20 miles would be the most I could manage and even that would be a challenge.
    >
    > While surfing the net I came across events organised by the Ripon Loiterers Cycle Club and my
    > heart leapt - "snail pace ride to . . .", "slow and easy to . . . ", etc, etc.

    Have a look at the London Cycle Campaign's website. The Rides and Events page
    http://www.lcc.org.uk/news/events2.asp should have some Easy rides to suit you.

  4. Tim Woodall

    Tim Woodall Guest

    On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 09:14:59 +0100, Tom C <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I'd like to cycle with other people on organised rides but am a slow cyclist who likes to take
    > things easy. 20 miles would be the most I could manage and even that would be a challenge.
    >
    > While surfing the net I came across events organised by the Ripon Loiterers Cycle Club and my
    > heart leapt - "snail pace ride to . . .", "slow and easy to . . . ", etc, etc.
    >
    > Now that's just the sort of thing I'm interested in. Alas, I live far from Yorkshire but would
    > almost consider moving to join a club like that.
    >
    > So, I'm asking if anyone know of anything similiar to the Ripon Loiterers in the South East or
    > London areas? I have a mountain bike but am also about to buy a Brompton folder so I can use
    > public transport in the London area. I

    > etc.

    I've only been out with them once (so far) and it wasn't the loiterers, but

    They go from Uxbridge Tube station every Sunday.

    Contact Jim Swan (jim at pedallersroost.fsnet.co.uk)

    Regards,

    Tim.

    p.s. Uxbridge tube station is closed for the forseeable future so you will have a 2-3ish mile ride
    from the next station up the line if you decide to travel by tube to the start. (I'm not sure
    that you can take a bike under the Thames by tube on any line)

  5. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

    Is there anything like this in the West Midlands? Den .btinternet.co.uk/

  6. Orienteer

    Orienteer Guest

    > I've only been out with them once (so far) and it wasn't the loiterers,
    but

    > They go from Uxbridge Tube station every Sunday.
    >
    > Contact Jim Swan (jim at pedallersroost.fsnet.co.uk)
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Tim.
    >
    > p.s. Uxbridge tube station is closed for the forseeable future so you will have a 2-3ish mile ride
    > from the next station up the line if you decide to travel by tube to the start. (I'm not sure
    > that you can take a bike under the Thames by tube on any line)

    Uxbridge station was closed for a few days a couple of weeks ago, but is open now.

    The Loiterers in Ripon was started by an ex-member of the West London Loiterers, who moved up there.
    The W London Loiterers have rides every Wednesday and Sunday at 10.00 from Uxbridge Station. The
    direct contact is Beryl Bell on [email protected]

    You can take bikes on all the tube 'surface stock' - the 'big' trains, but the 'tube stock' - the
    little ones - only where it runs in the open, all outside peak hours only, so any time Sunday is
    OK. Several members of the W London Loiterers come from central London by the
    Metroploitan/Piccadilly lines.

    The advantage of starting from Uxbridge is that the rides immediately leave Greater London and get
    into the country lanes.

  7. Brains

    Brains Guest

    On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 09:14:59 +0100, "Tom C" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'd like to cycle with other people on organised rides but am a slow cyclist who likes to take
    >things easy. 20 miles would be the most I could manage and even that would be a challenge.
    >
    >While surfing the net I came across events organised by the Ripon Loiterers Cycle Club and my heart
    >leapt - "snail pace ride to . . .", "slow and easy to . . . ", etc, etc.
    >
    >Now that's just the sort of thing I'm interested in. Alas, I live far from Yorkshire but would
    >almost consider moving to join a club like that.
    >
    >So, I'm asking if anyone know of anything similiar to the Ripon Loiterers in the South East or
    >London areas? I have a mountain bike but am also about to buy a Brompton folder so I can use public
    >transport in the London area. I

    >etc.
    >
    >Thanks in anticipation, Tom
    >Blog: www.brightfield.org.uk Email: [email protected] "please remove this spambuster" ntlworld.com or
    >[email protected] "please remove this spambuster" hotmail.com

    Try www.centrallondonctc.org.uk

    Their one star rides sound like what you're after. They meet at a mainline station on Sundays and
    get a train out of the city.

  8. Orienteer

    Orienteer Guest

    "Orienteer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Uxbridge station was closed for a few days a couple of weeks ago, but is open now.
    >
    > The Loiterers in Ripon was started by an ex-member of the West London Loiterers, who moved up
    > there. The W London Loiterers have rides every Wednesday and Sunday at 10.00 from Uxbridge
    > Station. The direct contact is Beryl Bell on [email protected]
    >
    > You can take bikes on all the tube 'surface stock' - the 'big' trains, but the 'tube stock' - the
    > little ones - only where it runs in the open, all outside peak hours only, so any time Sunday is
    > OK. Several members of the
    > London Loiterers come from central London by the Metroploitan/Piccadilly lines.
    >
    > The advantage of starting from Uxbridge is that the rides immediately
    leave
    > Greater London and get into the country lanes.

    I should have added, the Loiterers' ride tomorrow (20th) is from Hammersmith Station (Hammersmith &
    City line, not Pic/District) at 10.00, going East for a change!

  9. Davep

    Davep Guest

    Tom C wrote:

    > I'd like to cycle with other people on organised rides but am a slow cyclist who likes to take
    > things easy. 20 miles would be the most I could manage and even that would be a challenge.
    >
    > While surfing the net I came across events organised by the Ripon Loiterers Cycle Club and my
    > heart leapt - "snail pace ride to . . .", "slow and easy to . . . ", etc, etc.
    >
    > Now that's just the sort of thing I'm interested in. Alas, I live far from Yorkshire but would
    > almost consider moving to join a club like that.
    >
    > So, I'm asking if anyone know of anything similiar to the Ripon Loiterers in the South East or
    > London areas? I have a mountain bike but am also about to buy a Brompton folder so I can use
    > public transport in the London area. I

    > etc.
    >
    > Thanks in anticipation, Tom
    > Blog: www.brightfield.org.uk Email: [email protected] "please remove this spambuster" ntlworld.com or
    > [email protected] "please remove this spambuster" hotmail.com

    I tagged along one Sunday with Clarencourt CC , lovely people who meet at Cheam station at 0900.
    Their runs average 14/15 mph. Mick Aycliffe is the best contact. do a google for ["mick ayliffe"
    cycle ] or email me for their recent newsletter. remove the craggy bit from address above

    davep

  10. Tom C

    Tom C Guest

    Just to say thanks to all those who replied - some very useful stuff there which I will be following
    up in the next few days.

    Tom