"Loiterers" cycle club in Surrey/London/South East

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom C

I'd like to cycle with other people on organised rides but am a slow cyclist who likes to take
things easy. 20 miles would be the most I could manage and even that would be a challenge.

While surfing the net I came across events organised by the Ripon Loiterers Cycle Club and my heart
leapt - "snail pace ride to . . .", "slow and easy to . . . ", etc, etc.

Now that's just the sort of thing I'm interested in. Alas, I live far from Yorkshire but would
almost consider moving to join a club like that.

So, I'm asking if anyone know of anything similiar to the Ripon Loiterers in the South East or
London areas? I have a mountain bike but am also about to buy a Brompton folder so I can use public
transport in the London area. I

etc.

Thanks in anticipation, Tom
------------------------------------------
Blog: www.brightfield.org.uk Email: tom.c@ "please remove this spambuster" ntlworld.com or
bright_field@ "please remove this spambuster" hotmail.com
------------------------------------------

Tom C <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'd like to cycle with other people on organised rides but am a slow cyclist who likes to take
> things easy. 20 miles would be the most I could manage and even that would be a challenge.
>
> While surfing the net I came across events organised by the Ripon Loiterers Cycle Club and my
> heart leapt - "snail pace ride to . . .", "slow and easy to . . . ", etc, etc.
>
> Now that's just the sort of thing I'm interested in. Alas, I live far from Yorkshire but would
> almost consider moving to join a club like that.
>
> So, I'm asking if anyone know of anything similiar to the Ripon Loiterers in the South East or
> London areas? I have a mountain bike but am also about to buy a Brompton folder so I can use
> public transport in the

> Hampshire, Berkshire etc.
>
> Thanks in anticipation, Tom

The Cambridge Cycling Campaign runs a monthly Leisurely Ride which has the advantage of being
relatively flat. Details are on their events page at http://www.camcycle.org.uk/events/. You can get
to Cambridge in 40 mins from Kings Cross and its about a mile from the station to the meeting point.

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to
adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George
Bernard Shaw

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 09:14:59 +0100, Tom C wrote:

> I'd like to cycle with other people on organised rides but am a slow cyclist who likes to take
> things easy. 20 miles would be the most I could manage and even that would be a challenge.
>
> While surfing the net I came across events organised by the Ripon Loiterers Cycle Club and my
> heart leapt - "snail pace ride to . . .", "slow and easy to . . . ", etc, etc.
>
Have a look at the London Cycle Campaign's website. The Rides and Events page
http://www.lcc.org.uk/news/events2.asp should have some Easy rides to suit you.

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 09:14:59 +0100, Tom C <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>
> Now that's just the sort of thing I'm interested in. Alas, I live far from Yorkshire but would
>
> So, I'm asking if anyone know of anything similiar to the Ripon Loiterers in the South East or
> London areas? I have a mountain bike but am also about to buy a Brompton folder so I can use
> public transport in the London area. I

> etc.
>
I've only been out with them once (so far) and it wasn't the loiterers, but

They go from Uxbridge Tube station every Sunday.

Contact Jim Swan (jim at pedallersroost.fsnet.co.uk)

Regards,

Tim.

p.s. Uxbridge tube station is closed for the forseeable future so you will have a 2-3ish mile ride
from the next station up the line if you decide to travel by tube to the start. (I'm not sure
that you can take a bike under the Thames by tube on any line)

--
God said, "div D = rho, div B = 0, curl E = - @B/@t, curl H = J + @D/@t," and there was light.

http://tjw.hn.org/ http://www.locofungus.btinternet.co.uk/

Is there anything like this in the West Midlands? Den .btinternet.co.uk/

> >
> I've only been out with them once (so far) and it wasn't the loiterers,
but

>
> They go from Uxbridge Tube station every Sunday.
>
> Contact Jim Swan (jim at pedallersroost.fsnet.co.uk)
>
> Regards,
>
> Tim.
>
> p.s. Uxbridge tube station is closed for the forseeable future so you will have a 2-3ish mile ride
> from the next station up the line if you decide to travel by tube to the start. (I'm not sure
> that you can take a bike under the Thames by tube on any line)
>
>
Uxbridge station was closed for a few days a couple of weeks ago, but is open now.

The Loiterers in Ripon was started by an ex-member of the West London Loiterers, who moved up there.
The W London Loiterers have rides every Wednesday and Sunday at 10.00 from Uxbridge Station. The
direct contact is Beryl Bell on [email protected]

You can take bikes on all the tube 'surface stock' - the 'big' trains, but the 'tube stock' - the
little ones - only where it runs in the open, all outside peak hours only, so any time Sunday is
OK. Several members of the W London Loiterers come from central London by the
Metroploitan/Piccadilly lines.

The advantage of starting from Uxbridge is that the rides immediately leave Greater London and get
into the country lanes.

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 09:14:59 +0100, "Tom C" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'd like to cycle with other people on organised rides but am a slow cyclist who likes to take
>things easy. 20 miles would be the most I could manage and even that would be a challenge.
>
>While surfing the net I came across events organised by the Ripon Loiterers Cycle Club and my heart
>leapt - "snail pace ride to . . .", "slow and easy to . . . ", etc, etc.
>
>Now that's just the sort of thing I'm interested in. Alas, I live far from Yorkshire but would
>almost consider moving to join a club like that.
>
>So, I'm asking if anyone know of anything similiar to the Ripon Loiterers in the South East or
>London areas? I have a mountain bike but am also about to buy a Brompton folder so I can use public
>transport in the London area. I

>etc.
>
>Thanks in anticipation, Tom
>------------------------------------------
>Blog: www.brightfield.org.uk Email: tom.c@ "please remove this spambuster" ntlworld.com or
>bright_field@ "please remove this spambuster" hotmail.com
>------------------------------------------
>

Try www.centrallondonctc.org.uk

Their one star rides sound like what you're after. They meet at a mainline station on Sundays and
get a train out of the city.

"Orienteer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >
> Uxbridge station was closed for a few days a couple of weeks ago, but is open now.
>
> The Loiterers in Ripon was started by an ex-member of the West London Loiterers, who moved up
> there. The W London Loiterers have rides every Wednesday and Sunday at 10.00 from Uxbridge
> Station. The direct contact is Beryl Bell on [email protected]
>
> You can take bikes on all the tube 'surface stock' - the 'big' trains, but the 'tube stock' - the
> little ones - only where it runs in the open, all outside peak hours only, so any time Sunday is
> OK. Several members of the
W
> London Loiterers come from central London by the Metroploitan/Piccadilly lines.
>
> The advantage of starting from Uxbridge is that the rides immediately
leave
> Greater London and get into the country lanes.
>
>
I should have added, the Loiterers' ride tomorrow (20th) is from Hammersmith Station (Hammersmith &
City line, not Pic/District) at 10.00, going East for a change!

Tom C wrote:

>
>
>
> public transport in the London area. I

> etc.
>
> Thanks in anticipation, Tom
> ------------------------------------------
> Blog: www.brightfield.org.uk Email: tom.c@ "please remove this spambuster" ntlworld.com or
> bright_field@ "please remove this spambuster" hotmail.com
> ------------------------------------------

I tagged along one Sunday with Clarencourt CC , lovely people who meet at Cheam station at 0900.
Their runs average 14/15 mph. Mick Aycliffe is the best contact. do a google for ["mick ayliffe"
cycle ] or email me for their recent newsletter. remove the craggy bit from address above

davep

Just to say thanks to all those who replied - some very useful stuff there which I will be following
up in the next few days.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.