Lon Las Cymru route advice needed

I'm doing part of this (Sustrans route 8) in mid-Wales this coming
weekend, and notice there's an off-road section of a mile or two
between Rhayader and Newbridge, which the Sustrans website says is not
really for road bikes. I'm on a hybrid with thinnish tyres.

Anyone been that way and can offer advice on taking it or not?
Especially recently as I guess mud will be a big factor. (The only
alternative looks like the main road on the other side of the Wye).

Thanks, Reg

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm doing part of this (Sustrans route 8) in mid-Wales this coming
> weekend, and notice there's an off-road section of a mile or two
> between Rhayader and Newbridge, which the Sustrans website says is not
> really for road bikes. I'm on a hybrid with thinnish tyres.
>
> Anyone been that way and can offer advice on taking it or not?
> Especially recently as I guess mud will be a big factor. (The only
> alternative looks like the main road on the other side of the Wye).

It's ****. I'd take the MTB on it, but the road tandem didn't enjoy it, even
with 1.75" tyres.

The amusement started straight away. There's been some attempt to put some
surface down - rock chips. Unfortunately it's at the side, which is also
where the brambles are, so you have a choice of being torn to bits or having
no grip. It got a bit better after that - somewhat bumpy, occasional muddy
bits but nothing deep. Not much walking after the first hill. Knackered one
of the tyres - fortunately the bike shop in Rhayader had some suitable
replacements.

cheers,
clive

Clive George wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I'm doing part of this (Sustrans route 8) in mid-Wales this coming
> > weekend, and notice there's an off-road section of a mile or two
> > between Rhayader and Newbridge, which the Sustrans website says is not
> > really for road bikes. I'm on a hybrid with thinnish tyres.
> >
> > Anyone been that way and can offer advice on taking it or not?
> > Especially recently as I guess mud will be a big factor. (The only
> > alternative looks like the main road on the other side of the Wye).

> It's ****. I'd take the MTB on it, but the road tandem didn't enjoy it, even
> with 1.75" tyres.
>
> The amusement started straight away. There's been some attempt to put some
> surface down - rock chips. Unfortunately it's at the side, which is also
> where the brambles are, so you have a choice of being torn to bits or having
> no grip. It got a bit better after that - somewhat bumpy, occasional muddy
> bits but nothing deep. Not much walking after the first hill. Knackered one
> of the tyres - fortunately the bike shop in Rhayader had some suitable
> replacements.
>
> cheers,
> clive

Thanks Clive, I think you've convinced me. Looks like the main road for
that bit.

Reg