London Calling

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Derek White, Mar 12, 2004.

  1. Derek White

    Derek White Guest

    Is there a book on cycle tours in and around London,
    suggesting ways of seeing the Capital, but without
    putting yourself in too much mortal danger on the major
    traffic highways?

    Tags:

  2. Derek White wrote:
    > Is there a book on cycle tours in and around London,
    > suggesting ways of seeing the Capital, but without putting
    > yourself in too much mortal danger on the major traffic
    > highways?

    You can get free maps from here.

    http://www.sustrans.org.uk/webcode/content.asp?ID=834&

  3. On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 15:13:52 +0000, Derek White wrote:

    > Is there a book on cycle tours in and around London,
    > suggesting ways of seeing the Capital, but without putting
    > yourself in too much mortal danger on the major traffic
    > highways?

    Have you tried the London Cycle Guide? It's published by,
    uh, something like Hayes or Haynes, I'm not sure. I'll check
    the details when I get back home tonight.

    It's got 25 rides in or around London, many of them partly
    or completely off-road, or through low-traffic streets

    Eugenio

    P.S. Not sure where you can get it. I bought mine at Evans,
    and I've seen it in a number of LBSs...
    P.P. You could also try joining the LCC - they organize a
    lot of weekend rides in London, usually led by someone
    knowledgeable about traffic-free areas - but avoid
    those led by Sprocket John, the speed-crazed pensioner
    of Barnet LCC, or you'll end up scaring motorists off
    the road just to keep up with him :)

  4. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Derek White" wrote...
    > Is there a book on cycle tours in and around London,
    > suggesting ways of seeing the Capital, but without putting
    > yourself in too much mortal danger on the major traffic
    > highways?

    Lonely Planet publish a guidebook titled Cycling Britain,
    which includes a short cycling tour around London, as well
    as directions for cycling from Heathrow Airport to downtown
    London (I'll let you know how that works next month...). You
    might be better off trying to borrow a copy, since the focus
    is a bit broad for your stated intentions.
    --
    mark

  5. Eugenio Mastroviti <[email protected]>typed

    > P.S. Not sure where you can get it. I bought mine at
    > Evans, and I've seen it in a number of LBSs...
    > P.P.S. You could also try joining the LCC - they organize
    > a lot of weekend rides in London, usually led by
    > someone knowledgeable about traffic-free areas -
    > but avoid those led by Sprocket John, the speed-
    > crazed pensioner of Barnet LCC, or you'll end up
    > scaring motorists off the road just to keep up with
    > him :)

    Sprocket John got some friendly advice from the Police
    recently...

  6. "Derek White" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Is there a book on cycle tours in and around London,
    > suggesting
    ways of
    > seeing the Capital, but without putting yourself in too
    > much mortal
    danger
    > on the major traffic highways?

    Bike maps of London are free. It takes 19 maps to cover the
    whole of London. Map 10 in central London. Get them by
    phoning the same phone number as for bus and tube maps 020-7222-
    1234. You can sometimes find racks of the local map in tube
    stations. They will probably reappear in April. There's
    also a free bike map showing the whole of London on one
    sheet, but official bike routes only. That's more difficult
    to get hold of - try a library in London. The latest
    edition is 2002.

    For guide books, there are Nicky Crowther, "The London Cycle
    Guide", Haynes, and Simon Forty, Cycling without Traffic:
    London", Dial House.

    Sustrans has a map showing routes alongside the Thames in
    London, and other maps showing the route W. to Reading and
    Oxford, and S or E to Brighton, Dover etc.

    My favourite guide book is the long out of print "Bart's CTC
    Guide to Cycling in and around London" by John Franklin, the
    same John Franklin who wrote "Cyclecraft"

    Jeremy Parker

  7. On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 21:21:54 +0000, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

    > Sprocket John got some friendly advice from the Police
    > recently...

    ??

    --
    Opinions are like assholes -- everyone's got one, but nobody
    wants to look at the other guy's.

  8. Eugenio Mastroviti <[email protected]>typed

    > On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 21:21:54 +0000, Helen Deborah
    > Vecht wrote:

    > > Sprocket John got some friendly advice from the Police
    > > recently...

    > ??

    I think he was clocked at 50mph going down the A41 in
    Hendon... ... they wondered if he was on drugs.

  9. I did that heathrow to london ride using the lonely planet
    book. The route is fine but the map in the book is really
    insufficient. perhaps transcribe it on to the LCC maps.

    It is not a particuarly pleasent route but it gets you
    there.

  10. Mark

    Mark Guest

    "Robertfrench1" wrote ...
    > I did that heathrow to london ride using the lonely planet
    > book. The route
    is
    > fine but the map in the book is really insufficient.
    > perhaps transcribe it
    on
    > to the LCC maps.
    >
    > It is not a particuarly pleasent route but it gets
    > you there.

    Do you know of a more pleasant route? I have to get myself
    and my bike from Heathrow to Euston Station in late April,
    and Holland Park to Heathrow in late May. TIA
    --
    mark

  11. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 15/3/04 8:54 am, in article
    [email protected], "mark"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Robertfrench1" wrote ...
    >> I did that heathrow to london ride using the lonely
    >> planet book. The route
    > is
    >> fine but the map in the book is really insufficient.
    >> perhaps transcribe it
    > on
    >> to the LCC maps.
    >>
    >> It is not a particuarly pleasent route but it gets
    >> you there.
    >
    > Do you know of a more pleasant route? I have to get myself
    > and my bike from Heathrow to Euston Station in late April,
    > and Holland Park to Heathrow in late May.

    Heathrow express and cycle from/to paddington?

    Alternatively I'd personally go along the A4020 uxbridge
    road and dive down through Hayes (but I'm like that).

    ..d

  12. Mark

    Mark Guest

    "David Martin" wrote
    > Heathrow express and cycle from/to paddington?
    >
    > Alternatively I'd personally go along the A4020 uxbridge
    > road and dive
    down
    > through Hayes (but I'm like that).
    >
    > ..d

    I thought about Heathrow Express but
    1. I had heard that there were restrictions on bicycles

    2. I've got an overnight flight arriving at 11 AM at
    Heathrow followed by an overnight train ride leaving
    Euston at 11 PM, and I'd like to get some exercise.

    3. Getting a fully loaded touring bike in and out of train
    stations and on and off trains is a nuisance, for myself
    and the other passengers (been there, f**k that). Getting
    in and out of the airports and on and off the train to
    Edinburgh will be nuisance enough, thank you.

    How bad is the traffic on the A4020? Or was that a facetious
    suggestion?
    --
    mark

  13. Orienteer

    Orienteer Guest

    "mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:L%[email protected]...

    > "David Martin" wrote
    > > Heathrow express and cycle from/to paddington?
    > >
    > > Alternatively I'd personally go along the A4020 uxbridge
    > > road and dive
    > down
    > > through Hayes (but I'm like that).
    > >
    > > ..d
    > >

    > I thought about Heathrow Express but
    > 1. I had heard that there were restrictions on bicycles
    >
    > 2. I've got an overnight flight arriving at 11 AM at
    > Heathrow followed by
    an
    > overnight train ride leaving Euston at 11 PM, and I'd like
    > to get some exercise.
    >
    > 3. Getting a fully loaded touring bike in and out of train
    > stations and on and off trains is a nuisance, for
    > myself and the other passengers (been there, f**k
    > that). Getting in and out of the airports and on and
    > off the train to Edinburgh will be nuisance enough,
    > thank you.
    >
    > How bad is the traffic on the A4020? Or was that a
    > facetious suggestion?
    > --
    > mark
    Not too bad between rush hours, but a more attractive
    route if you've got all day is go along the Bath Road
    (A4) to Cranford, turn left into High Street towards
    Hayes Bulls Bridge and pick up the Grand Union Canal all
    the way into central London. (Be careful to follow the
    main canal (northwards) from Bulls Bridge, and not the
    Brentford branch).

  14. "mark" <[email protected]>typed

    > How bad is the traffic on the A4020? Or was that a
    > facetious suggestion?

    A4020 is not bad but has a huge number of traffic lights and
    pelican crossings along its length. There are 'cycle
    facilities' along quite long stretches, the quality of which
    is variable. The 'Uxbridge' Road is the old road from London
    to Oxford and is continuous with Oxford Street.

  15. Mark

    Mark Guest

    "Orienteer" wrote ...

    > "mark" wrote
    > > "David Martin" wrote
    > > > Heathrow express and cycle from/to paddington?
    > > >
    > > > Alternatively I'd personally go along the A4020
    > > > uxbridge road and dive
    > > down
    > > > through Hayes (but I'm like that).
    > > >
    > > > ..d
    > > >

    > > I thought about Heathrow Express but
    > > 1. I had heard that there were restrictions on bicycles
    > >
    > > 2. I've got an overnight flight arriving at 11 AM at
    > > Heathrow followed
    by
    > an
    > > overnight train ride leaving Euston at 11 PM, and I'd
    > > like to get some exercise.
    > >
    > > 3. Getting a fully loaded touring bike in and out of
    > > train stations and
    on
    > > and off trains is a nuisance, for myself and the other
    > > passengers (been there, f**k that). Getting in and out
    > > of the airports and on and off the train to Edinburgh
    > > will be nuisance enough, thank you.
    > >
    > > How bad is the traffic on the A4020? Or was that a
    > > facetious suggestion?
    > > --
    > > mark
    > Not too bad between rush hours, but a more attractive
    > route if you've got all day is go along the Bath Road (A4)
    > to Cranford, turn left into High Street towards Hayes
    > Bulls Bridge and pick up the Grand Union Canal all
    the
    > way into central London. (Be careful to follow the main
    > canal (northwards) from Bulls Bridge, and not the
    > Brentford branch).

    My flight lands at 12:45 PM (just checked the timetable),
    and I should probably be at Euston station before dark. I
    think I'll keep these routes in mind, and pick what looks
    like the best option after I land, clear customs, and get
    the bike and gear sorted out. Dave Martin's suggestion of
    the A4020 sounds good for the return trip, since I'll
    probably want to get to the airport as quickly as possible.

    Thanks very much for the advice, everyone. It's good to
    know that I've got a few options for the trip to and from
    the airport.
    --
    mark

  16. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 17/3/04 3:03 am, in article
    JdP5c.25155$%[email protected], "mark"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > My flight lands at 12:45 PM (just checked the timetable),
    > and I should probably be at Euston station before dark. I
    > think I'll keep these routes in mind, and pick what looks
    > like the best option after I land, clear customs, and get
    > the bike and gear sorted out. Dave Martin's suggestion of
    > the A4020 sounds good for the return trip, since I'll
    > probably want to get to the airport as quickly as
    > possible.

    I'd go with the GUC route for the way in, and A4020 or
    similar for the way out.

    > Thanks very much for the advice, everyone. It's good to
    > know that I've got a few options for the trip to and from
    > the airport.

    As with all cycling in London, it helps to have a few
    alternative routes, and preferably a few alternative
    destinations.

    ..d

    > --
    > mark

  17. Mark

    Mark Guest

    "David Martin" wrote ...
    > On 17/3/04 3:03 am, "mark" wrote:
    >

    > > My flight lands at 12:45 PM (just checked the
    > > timetable), and I should probably be at Euston station
    > > before dark. I think I'll keep these
    routes in
    > > mind, and pick what looks like the best option after I
    > > land, clear
    customs,
    > > and get the bike and gear sorted out. Dave Martin's
    > > suggestion of the
    A4020
    > > sounds good for the return trip, since I'll probably
    > > want to get to the airport as quickly as possible.
    > >

    > I'd go with the GUC route for the way in, and A4020 or
    > similar for the way out. ..d
    That's what I had in mind. I'll be inbound the afternoon
    of April 27, and outbound the morning of May 26. If you
    spot a fully loaded green and white tourer, give a wave,
    it'll be me.
    --
    mark