London commuting question

China Diapers

Mar 14, 2009
Hi,

I live in Isleworth, middlesex, TW7, and thinking about cycling to my place of work in Tottenham Court Road in the West End. My reasons are to save money, get some excercise and avoid the horrible conditions on public transport.

I would be taking a similar route to the one suggested by this guy here: http://www.cycle-route.com/routes/Isleworth_to_Kings_Cross_Station_%28fast_Commute%29-Cycle-Route-5172.html, except at Hyde Park carrying on down Bayswater Road and Oxford Street.

I have a few concerns, rain, cold weather, punctures etc., but the main thing which is putting me off is obviously the high rate of accidents involving cyclists in London.

Do you think the route I would be taking is particularly dangerous? Is it case of a little common sense going along way in avoiding incidents?

Of course I would do a few practice runs before hand.

I guess I am looking for assurance I won't be killed out there, which nobody can give me, but any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi China,
I commute about 14miles each way across Swindon, nothing like the nightmare that London can be but some principles can be the same.

I assume you are still up for this and hopefully, been doing it for a while now, going by the date of you post!

When I go out, I look like a Christmas tree, to start with, I have a Cateye Opticube on the bake along with a Raleigh twin LED device, which is stunningly bright.

Up front I have a 900lumen Bressner with matching helmet light.

Just to mke sure I have a HiViz vest with flashing LED's in the reflective strips, (about a fiver from Asda).

Next, if you have choice, is time of day you travel. If I have to travel in rush hour, I vary the route and take it off the main routes, avoid the nasty knock-you-off things on the tarmac.

I am lucky, I have a flexible hours thing where I go in at a time that suits me rather than a rigid 9-5.

Let us know how you get on/are getting on?