London cycling observations

wafflycat wrote:

> So I have to sort out this night vision in the rain thing, or I am
> reduced to night riding only when it is guaranteed to be a dry night.
> Any suggestions? I'm looking at the possibility of contact lenses.

Try some RainX on your glasses - it makes the water sheet rather than
form drops. Its only downside is you have to go to Halfrauds or
equivalent to buy it.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/203940/rain_repellents.html

Tony

On 31/07/2007 22:58, Trevor A Panther wrote:
> I still use a Respro visor -- well 2 actually but they aren't made any more.
> My 2 are getting a bit scarred by now and I don't think they will survive
> another 12 months.

Gearshift list replacement lenses:
<http://www.gearshift.co.uk/acatalog/Gearshift_Cycling_Specs.html>

> But as I said Resporo stopped marketing them 2 years ago

I don't think they ever really tried. But no, I couldn't find anyone
selling them today.

--
Danny Colyer <http://www.redpedals.co.uk>
"Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down.

wafflycat <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote:

> At the weekend, I was in The Smoke. I was noticing cyclists and, on Saturday
> evening, I was a London cyclist. Guess what: loads and loads of cyclists
> stopping at red lights, just as they are supposed to. Now what I want to
> know is how all those cyclists knew I was in London, I mean according to the
> meeja, London cyclists never stop for red lights, so the cyclists must have
> been stopping at red for my benefit only... Saw loads of motorists jumping
> red lights. Obviously they were cyclists in disguise.

heh returing to where i was brought up, with the bike has been nice.
cars leave loads of space. even with a car oooh a min on the other side.
very low traffic area.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

squeaker wrote:
> On Jul 31, 11:00 pm, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Try some RainX on your glasses - it makes the water sheet rather
>> than form drops. Its only downside is you have to go to Halfrauds
>> or equivalent to buy
>> it.http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/203940/rain_repellents...
>>

>> Tony

> But is RainX OK with plastic lenses? (I don't want to be the one to
> find out that it trashes them!)

The bottle says consult the plastic manufacturer before using it but
lots of people have used it on glasses and motorbike visors without any
problems. Most plastic lenses these days have a anti-reflection coating
on anyway which is not plastic and seals the surface.

Tony

In news:eek:[email protected],
wafflycat <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to
tell us:
> At the weekend, I was in The Smoke. I was noticing cyclists and, on
> Saturday evening, I was a London cyclist. Guess what: loads and loads
> of cyclists stopping at red lights, just as they are supposed to. Now
> what I want to know is how all those cyclists knew I was in London, I
> mean according to the meeja, London cyclists never stop for red
> lights, so the cyclists must have been stopping at red for my benefit
> only... Saw loads of motorists jumping red lights. Obviously they
> were cyclists in disguise.

Lots of them about. Two motor-ists nearly torpedoed the same one - driving
a stolen Astra van - on the Crooked Billet roundabout this morning.

--
Dave Larrington
Hoc ardur vincere docet.

In news:[email protected],
Danny Colyer <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell
us:
> On 31/07/2007 16:45, wafflycat wrote:
>> So I have to sort out this night vision in the rain thing, or I am
>> reduced to night riding only when it is guaranteed to be a dry
>> night. Any suggestions? I'm looking at the possibility of contact
>> lenses.

> Even with contact lenses you will still want to wear cycling glasses
> to keep the rain out of your eyes. At least then you have the option
> of peering over the top.

Not to mention all the other airborne **** floating around. When I wore
contact lenses, the tiniest bit of unwanted detritus in the eye would
normally cause me to screw both eyes tight shut. This may be regarded as a
Bad Thing. It may be different with soft lenses, of which I have no
experience, but I wouldn't count on it.

--
Dave Larrington
Trees, once grown in large numbers, make perfect forests.

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 10:04:45 +0100, "Dave Larrington"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In news:[email protected],
>Danny Colyer <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell
>us:
>> On 31/07/2007 16:45, wafflycat wrote:
>>> So I have to sort out this night vision in the rain thing, or I am
>>> reduced to night riding only when it is guaranteed to be a dry
>>> night. Any suggestions? I'm looking at the possibility of contact
>>> lenses.

Contact lenses are a Good Thing,IME. Especially in the rain. I
usedaily disposables, -4.75 left, -5.25 R, so fairly blind without
(here starts the how blind are you contest). a bit of astigmatism
too, but vision with the contact lenses is good enough without
additional correction. However I understand that toric lenes are
available in disposable format too.

>> Even with contact lenses you will still want to wear cycling glasses
>> to keep the rain out of your eyes. At least then you have the option
>> of peering over the top.

>Not to mention all the other airborne **** floating around. When I wore
>contact lenses, the tiniest bit of unwanted detritus in the eye would
>normally cause me to screw both eyes tight shut. This may be regarded as a
>Bad Thing. It may be different with soft lenses, of which I have no
>experience, but I wouldn't count on it.

I use daily disposable soft lenses. I don't often use other eyewear on
the bike as well (shades when sunny, that's it). I don't think I've
ever suffered from the Larrington Syndrome.

Tim

On 01/08/2007 10:04, Dave Larrington wrote:
> Not to mention all the other airborne **** floating around. When I wore
> contact lenses, the tiniest bit of unwanted detritus in the eye would
> normally cause me to screw both eyes tight shut. This may be regarded as a
> Bad Thing. It may be different with soft lenses, of which I have no
> experience, but I wouldn't count on it.

It is significantly better with soft lenses, but unwanted detritus is
still best avoided. Glasses are the one item that I would /never/ cycle
without.

FWIW, I wore rigid lenses 5 or 6 days a week for 10 years, then took a 3
year break. I've now worn soft daily disposables at weekends and
holidays for the last 4 years. I can recommend J&J Acuvue Moist,
purchased by post with excess packaging (which I've complained about)
from D&A.

--

Danny Colyer <[email protected]> writes:

> It is significantly better with soft lenses, but unwanted detritus
> is still best avoided. Glasses are the one item that I would
> /never/ cycle without.

Whenever I cycle with eye protection it's fine when I'm moving but
when I stop at traffic lights or whatever, they instantly mist up.
Are there any decent specs that don't do this so much?

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck

On 01/08/2007 19:47, Chris Eilbeck wrote:
> Whenever I cycle with eye protection it's fine when I'm moving but
> when I stop at traffic lights or whatever, they instantly mist up.
> Are there any decent specs that don't do this so much?

Assuming you don't have prescription inserts and you don't wear a mask,
I'd say it's just a question of keeping the lenses /really/, /really/
clean (and possibly sweating less).

You can wash the glasses in washing up liquid, which leaves a layer of
detergent on the lenses to stop them misting up. Or there are various
products you can buy to coat the lenses. Personally I use a glasses
cleaning spray and a microfibre cloth (both available from any optician,
and probably from any camera shop). I spray once each side of the lens,
wipe with the cloth, huff on the lens, wipe off the condensation, then
keep huffing on the lens and wiping off the condensation until
condensation no longer forms. It only takes a few minutes, and I only
need to do it a few times a year. If I've been out in the rain then I
also make a point of wiping the lenses with a lens cloth after they've
dried.

If I'm wearing a mask or a Buff over my nose then I make an effort to
stick my top lip out and direct exhaled air downwards from my mouth.
That's usually effective at stopping moist, exhaled air rising from the
mask and steaming up my glasses.

--
Danny Colyer <http://www.redpedals.co.uk>
"Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down.
Daddy, why did you put that down?" - Charlie Colyer, age 2

In news:[email protected],
Chris Eilbeck <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell
us:

> Whenever I cycle with eye protection it's fine when I'm moving but
> when I stop at traffic lights or whatever, they instantly mist up.
> Are there any decent specs that don't do this so much?

Slide 'em half an inch down yer conk when stopped at the lights? In any
case, I find that when they do steam up, they're clear again by the other
side of the junction.

--
Dave Larrington
%VMS-W-IVWORD, unrecognized word "downtime" - check validity and

"Dave Larrington" <[email protected]>typed

> In news:[email protected],
> Chris Eilbeck <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell
> us:

> > Whenever I cycle with eye protection it's fine when I'm moving but
> > when I stop at traffic lights or whatever, they instantly mist up.
> > Are there any decent specs that don't do this so much?

> Slide 'em half an inch down yer conk when stopped at the lights? In any
> case, I find that when they do steam up, they're clear again by the other
> side of the junction.

Also, make sure any waterproof jacket you wear is open at the neck as
soon as it stops raining. Steam rises from the torso, through the collar
an towards the specs otherwise. If possible avoid wearing waterproofs at
all when it's dry.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

"Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> writes:

> In news:[email protected],
> Chris Eilbeck <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell
> us:
>
>> Whenever I cycle with eye protection it's fine when I'm moving but
>> when I stop at traffic lights or whatever, they instantly mist up.
>> Are there any decent specs that don't do this so much?

> Slide 'em half an inch down yer conk when stopped at the lights? In any
> case, I find that when they do steam up, they're clear again by the other
> side of the junction.

Thanks, folks. I've tried just sliding them down my nose and looking
over the top but not being a glasses wearer and used to this sort of
thing, it felt as if they were about to fall off when I set off again.
I guess I'll get one of those strappy-type things that go round the
back of your melon so at least they wouldn't fall into the road if
they do fall off.

Cheers

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck

On 31 Jul, 11:06, "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote:
> At the weekend, I was in The Smoke. I was noticing cyclists and, on Saturday
> evening, I was a London cyclist. Guess what: loads and loads of cyclists
> stopping at red lights, just as they are supposed to. Now what I want to
> know is how all those cyclists knew I was in London, I mean according to the
> meeja, London cyclists never stop for red lights, so the cyclists must have
> been stopping at red for my benefit only... Saw loads of motorists jumping
> red lights. Obviously they were cyclists in disguise.

Have a look at other threads where the police have a so called clamp
down on such things, must be working at the mo. But like all things it
will drift back till the next clamp down ;-)