London design Standards for Cycling

Jeremy Parker

Guest
I have just started looking at the draft sections of London's "Design Standards for Cycling in
London." They are available on the web at the London Cycling Campaign's Planning and Engineering
Group's web site http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LCC-CPECplus/, in the files section.

Oh dear. They are really bad, worse, even, than the old Design Manual, in so far as I've looked so
far, and totally unacceptable in their present form. I can only look at them for short periods at a
stretch; I get too angry if I try to keep looking for a sustained period.

Comments have to be in by mid March. I suggest that everybody comment good and hard.

The old book was called the "London Cycle Network, Design Manual", the new one is, apparently,
"Design Standards for Cycling in London."

I remember TfL's Nick Chitty saying that the title was controversial. Therefore that title must have
been given considerable thought. I imagine therefore that it being "standards" rather than
"guidelines" is significant, as is the fact that it covers "cycling in London" rather than "the
London Cycle Network"

The cover letter from Rose Ades says that this is a "surprisingly challenging project." Quite why
she was surprised, I don't understand, but I think she ain't seen nothing yet.

Jeremy Parker LCC Borough Coordinator Barnet CTC Right to Ride Rep' Barnet

"Nick Maclaren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> In article <[email protected]>, "Jeremy Parker"
> <[email protected]> writes:
> |> I have just started looking at the draft sections of London's
"Design
> |> Standards for Cycling in London." They are available on the web
at
> |> the London Cycling Campaign's Planning and Engineering Group's
web
> |> site http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LCC-CPECplus/, in the files section.
>
> Members only.
>

> Regards, Nick Maclaren.

You could ask to join up. If all else fails, try giving the LCC an e-mail on [email protected], or a
phone call on 020-7928-7220

The draft Scottish Design Standards were on the internet for a whole year in order to allow anyone
in Scotland, or indeed the whole world, to comment.

It's a shame that Transport for London hasn't posted the material. However, I will concede that the
system being used for this draft is better than for the previous standards, which were in use for
more than a year before any member of the public was allowed to see them.

I think the lack of comment on the previous standards is one reason why the London Cycle Network is
so bad, although I have been told, and, God help us, it may be true, that without the standards the
LCN would be even worse.

Jeremy Parker

Following on from Jeremy Parker's message. . .
>You could ask to join up. If all else fails, try giving the LCC an e-mail on [email protected], or
>a phone call on 020-7928-7220
>
>The draft Scottish Design Standards were on the internet for a whole year in order to allow anyone
>in Scotland, or indeed the whole world, to comment.
>
>It's a shame that Transport for London hasn't posted the material. However, I will concede that the
>system being used for this draft is better than for the previous standards, which were in use for
>more than a year before any member of the public was allowed to see them.
>
>I think the lack of comment on the previous standards is one reason why the London Cycle Network is
>so bad, although I have been told, and, God help us, it may be true, that without the standards the
>LCN would be even worse.
>
>Jeremy Parker

to have been a large contributor and it is electronic - they won't let me have a copy!) If somebody
in London wants to borrow them then email me your postal address.

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the deckchair business folded
[email protected] www.eminent.demon.co.uk/wcc.htm Witham Cycling