London messenger killed by collision with HGV whilst working

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Stuart, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

    Sebastian, polish messenger, working for Anderson Young, was died today after a collision with an
    HGV. The accident took place this morning, 23rd February. No other details are available. There will
    be a meeting this evening at the Duke of York, at which it will be decided what form the memorial
    will take.

    More information will follow as it becomes available.

    ---

    Buffalo Bill, LBMA

    next meeting of the LBMA management committee Sat 6th March, 15 Ivor St NW1. More details:
    <[email protected]>

    ---
    please note that Bill came up with the opinions expressed in this email all by himself, and these
    are not endorsed, agreed or maybe even tolerated by the LBMA

    unless otherwise stated

    The London Bicycle Messenger Association
    http://www.londonmessengers.org
    The LBMA email list:
    http://www.dccourier.com/lbma

    .

    Tags:

  2. David Cowie

    David Cowie Guest

    This was on the corner of Upper Thames street and Southwark Bridge. The bike was folded into the
    gutter. Looks maybe as if he was going straight (west) along Upper Thames and the truck was going
    left (south) to go over the bridge. HGV was a huge 6 wheeler that carries building material/rubble.

    There are flowers being left in memory on the corner.

    RIP

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 19:59:26 +0000 (UTC), Stuart <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Sebastian, polish messenger, working for Anderson Young, was died today after a collision with an
    >HGV. The accident took place this morning, 23rd February. No other details are available. There
    >will be a meeting this evening at the Duke of York, at which it will be decided what form the
    >memorial will take.
    >
    >More information will follow as it becomes available.

  3. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "David Cowie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > This was on the corner of Upper Thames street and Southwark Bridge. The bike was folded into the
    > gutter. Looks maybe as if he was going straight (west) along Upper Thames and the truck was going
    > left (south) to go over the bridge. HGV was a huge 6 wheeler that carries building
    > material/rubble.
    >
    > There are flowers being left in memory on the corner.
    >
    > RIP

    Very sorry to hear about this.

    RIP

  4. Howard

    Howard Guest

    Hi Bill,

    Was this on Southwark Bridge? This death was noted on another forum and concerns were raised that
    City of London Police/ The Press do not seem to have reported the death.

  5. Frank X

    Frank X Guest

    "David Cowie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > This was on the corner of Upper Thames street and Southwark Bridge. The bike was folded into the
    > gutter. Looks maybe as if he was going straight (west) along Upper Thames and the truck was going
    > left (south) to go over the bridge. HGV was a huge 6 wheeler that carries building
    > material/rubble.
    >
    > There are flowers being left in memory on the corner.

    I had to ride into London today, I saw the flowers. It didn't look like a dangerous spot so I guess
    your explanation is reasonable.

    The trouble is almost all my rides go past flowers by the side of the road, which I guess is why it
    isn't news.

  6. Gawnsoft

    Gawnsoft Guest

  7. Tony Hogarty

    Tony Hogarty Guest

    Gawnsoft wrote:

    > On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 10:31:40 -0000, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote (more or less):
    >
    >>Discovered last week that the deceased was a FOAF :-( Bah!
    >
    > FOAF?
    >
    > I'm presuming the middle two are 'on a', and I'm guessing the first word rhymes with 'mucker'...
    >

    > Cheers, Euan Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr Symbian/Epoc wiki: http://html.dnsalias.net:1122
    > Smalltalk links (harvested from comp.lang.smalltalk) http://html.dnsalias.net/gawnsoft/smalltalk

    Friend of a friend?
    --
    Take out the garbage to reply

    Regards Tony Hogarty

  8. Gawnsoft <[email protected]>typed

    > On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 10:31:40 -0000, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote (more or less):

    > >Discovered last week that the deceased was a FOAF :-( Bah!

    > FOAF?

    > I'm presuming the middle two are 'on a', and I'm guessing the first word rhymes with 'mucker'...

    I'm presuming 'friend of a friend'...

  9. Gawnsoft wrote:

    > FOAF?

    Friend of a friend is the RIGHT answer...

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  10. Dan Gregory

    Dan Gregory Guest

    "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]m> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Gawnsoft wrote:
    >
    > > FOAF?
    >
    > Friend of a friend is the RIGHT answer...
    Probably a good friend of my son too....

    ---

  11. Terry

    Terry Guest

    > Discovered last week that the deceased was a FOAF

    wossat?

  12. Pmailkeey

    Pmailkeey Guest

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:47:00 +0000, David Cowie
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    :)This was on the corner of Upper Thames street and Southwark Bridge. )The bike was folded into the
    :gutter. Looks maybe as if he was going )straight (west) along Upper Thames and the truck was going
    :left )(south) to go over the bridge. HGV was a huge 6 wheeler that carries )building
    :material/rubble.

    Looks like he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    --
    Comm again, Mike.

  13. David Cowie

    David Cowie Guest

    On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 14:33:24 -0000, "Dave Larrington"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Friend of a friend is the RIGHT answer...

    Any chance that you could tell us a bit about him ? What he was like, what he did, where he was
    going in life. Rather than pass on as another statistic.

    thanks.

  14. "pmailkeey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:47:00 +0000, David Cowie <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > :)This was on the corner of Upper Thames street and Southwark Bridge. )The bike was folded into
    > :the gutter. Looks maybe as if he was going )straight (west) along Upper Thames and the truck was
    > :going left )(south) to go over the bridge. HGV was a huge 6 wheeler that carries )building
    > :material/rubble.
    >
    > Looks like he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

    That sounds like a bit of an understatement!

    I don't want to seem judgemental - one never knows if one wasn't there - and it could be the case
    that it was something that could have happened to any of us if we had had the misfortune to be
    similarly in the wrong place - but still I can't help wondering how or why this kind of accident
    still happens to someone as experienced in traffic as one might assume a cycle courier to be. I
    mean, don't we all know not to go up the inside of lorries at a junction for chris'sake (whether
    they are indicating or not)?

    Rich

  15. Howard

    Howard Guest

  16. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > I don't want to seem judgemental - one never knows if one wasn't there - and it could be the case
    > that it was something that could have happened to any of us if we had had the misfortune to be
    > similarly in the wrong place -

    Exactly.

    --
    Dave...

  17. Pmailkeey

    Pmailkeey Guest

    On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 00:00:36 -0000, "Richard Goodman"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    :)"pmailkeey" <[email protected]> wrote in
    :message )news:[email protected]... )>
    :Looks like he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. )
    :)That sounds like a bit of an understatement! ) )I don't
    :want to seem judgemental - one never knows if one wasn't
    :there - and )it could be the case that it was something
    :that could have happened to any )of us if we had had the
    :misfortune to be similarly in the wrong place - but )still
    :I can't help wondering how or why this kind of accident
    :still happens )to someone as experienced in traffic as one
    :might assume a cycle courier to )be. I mean, don't we all
    :know not to go up the inside of lorries at a )junction for
    :chris'sake (whether they are indicating or not)? )

    Yeah - it's a bit of a puzzle.

    I'll use them - but always appreciate what the HGV is
    likely/can do and the space left for me to do something in.

    I once passed a milk tanker indicating right (I was in a
    car) and the tanker driver was annoyed. I just assumed he
    wasn't suicidal and neither planned to roll the tanker over
    by turning right at the speed he was going nor wished to
    enter a field by making his own hole in the wall. His
    indication was somewhat premature and I was well past him
    before he made his turn.
    --
    Comm again, Mike.

  18. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, pmailkeey
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > I once passed a milk tanker indicating right (I was in a
    > car) and the tanker driver was annoyed. I just assumed he
    > wasn't suicidal and neither planned to roll the tanker
    > over by turning right at the speed he was going nor wished
    > to enter a field by making his own hole in the wall. His
    > indication was somewhat premature and I was well past him
    > before he made his turn.

    Give people who drive milk tankers a bit of a break; they're
    terrifyingly difficult things to drive. Whereas other large
    bulk liquid carriers have lots of baffles to stop the liquid
    sloshing around, if you do that with milk you have to dig
    the butter out at the end of a journey (after all, a butter
    churn is just an agitated tank with baffles). Consequently
    milk tankers have no baffles, and consequently the load -
    several tons of it - sloshes around making sharp cornering
    and braking exceedingly dodgy manouvres. People who drive
    milk tankers DO NOT like people who may cause them to brake,
    and tend to plan their braking and turning early and
    carefully.

    --
    [email protected] (Simon Brooke)
    http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    There are no messages. The above is just a random
    stream of bytes. Any opinion or meaning you find in
    it is your own creation.

  19. On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 11:05:14 GMT, Simon Brooke wrote:
    > in message <[email protected]>,
    > pmailkeey ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >
    >> I once passed a milk tanker indicating right (I was in a
    >> car) and the tanker driver was annoyed. I just assumed he
    >> wasn't suicidal and neither planned to roll the tanker
    >> over by turning right at the speed he was going nor
    >> wished to enter a field by making his own hole in the
    >> wall. His indication was somewhat premature and I was
    >> well past him before he made his turn.
    >
    > Give people who drive milk tankers a bit of a break;
    > they're terrifyingly difficult things to drive. Whereas
    > other large bulk liquid carriers have lots of baffles to
    > stop the liquid sloshing around, if you do that with milk
    > you have to dig the butter out at the end of a journey
    > (after all, a butter churn is just an agitated tank with
    > baffles). Consequently milk tankers have no baffles, and
    > consequently the load - several tons of it - sloshes
    > around making sharp cornering and braking exceedingly
    > dodgy manouvres. People who drive milk tankers DO NOT like
    > people who may cause them to brake, and tend to plan their
    > braking and turning early and carefully.

    Not to mention that second guessing the intentions of
    someone indicating right sounds pretty suicidal. He may
    have been about to pull out to avoid that cyclist or
    pothole you couldn't see ahead of him. Indeed you might
    have forced him to drive through that pothole he was trying
    to avoid, explaining his annoyance. All in all a pretty
    dumb thing to do.

    --
    Trevor Barton