London messenger killed by collision with HGV whilst working

Stuart

Guest
Sebastian, polish messenger, working for Anderson Young, was died today after a collision with an
HGV. The accident took place this morning, 23rd February. No other details are available. There will
be a meeting this evening at the Duke of York, at which it will be decided what form the memorial
will take.

More information will follow as it becomes available.

---

Buffalo Bill, LBMA

next meeting of the LBMA management committee Sat 6th March, 15 Ivor St NW1. More details:
<[email protected]>

---
please note that Bill came up with the opinions expressed in this email all by himself, and these
are not endorsed, agreed or maybe even tolerated by the LBMA

unless otherwise stated

The London Bicycle Messenger Association
http://www.londonmessengers.org
The LBMA email list:
http://www.dccourier.com/lbma

.

This was on the corner of Upper Thames street and Southwark Bridge. The bike was folded into the
gutter. Looks maybe as if he was going straight (west) along Upper Thames and the truck was going
left (south) to go over the bridge. HGV was a huge 6 wheeler that carries building material/rubble.

There are flowers being left in memory on the corner.

RIP

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 19:59:26 +0000 (UTC), Stuart <[email protected]> wrote:

>Sebastian, polish messenger, working for Anderson Young, was died today after a collision with an
>HGV. The accident took place this morning, 23rd February. No other details are available. There
>will be a meeting this evening at the Duke of York, at which it will be decided what form the
>memorial will take.
>
>More information will follow as it becomes available.

"David Cowie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> This was on the corner of Upper Thames street and Southwark Bridge. The bike was folded into the
> gutter. Looks maybe as if he was going straight (west) along Upper Thames and the truck was going
> left (south) to go over the bridge. HGV was a huge 6 wheeler that carries building
> material/rubble.
>
> There are flowers being left in memory on the corner.
>
> RIP

Very sorry to hear about this.

RIP

Hi Bill,

Was this on Southwark Bridge? This death was noted on another forum and concerns were raised that
City of London Police/ The Press do not seem to have reported the death.

"David Cowie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> This was on the corner of Upper Thames street and Southwark Bridge. The bike was folded into the
> gutter. Looks maybe as if he was going straight (west) along Upper Thames and the truck was going
> left (south) to go over the bridge. HGV was a huge 6 wheeler that carries building
> material/rubble.
>
> There are flowers being left in memory on the corner.

I had to ride into London today, I saw the flowers. It didn't look like a dangerous spot so I guess
your explanation is reasonable.

The trouble is almost all my rides go past flowers by the side of the road, which I guess is why it
isn't news.

Gawnsoft wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 10:31:40 -0000, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote (more or less):
>
>>Discovered last week that the deceased was a FOAF :-( Bah!
>
> FOAF?
>
> I'm presuming the middle two are 'on a', and I'm guessing the first word rhymes with 'mucker'...
>

> Cheers, Euan Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr Symbian/Epoc wiki: http://html.dnsalias.net:1122
> Smalltalk links (harvested from comp.lang.smalltalk) http://html.dnsalias.net/gawnsoft/smalltalk

Friend of a friend?
--
Take out the garbage to reply

Regards Tony Hogarty

Gawnsoft <[email protected]>typed

> On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 10:31:40 -0000, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote (more or less):

> >Discovered last week that the deceased was a FOAF :-( Bah!

> FOAF?

> I'm presuming the middle two are 'on a', and I'm guessing the first word rhymes with 'mucker'...

I'm presuming 'friend of a friend'...

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:47:00 +0000, David Cowie
<[email protected]> wrote:

:)This was on the corner of Upper Thames street and Southwark Bridge. )The bike was folded into the
:gutter. Looks maybe as if he was going )straight (west) along Upper Thames and the truck was going
:left )(south) to go over the bridge. HGV was a huge 6 wheeler that carries )building
:material/rubble.

Looks like he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
--
Comm again, Mike.

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 14:33:24 -0000, "Dave Larrington"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Friend of a friend is the RIGHT answer...

Any chance that you could tell us a bit about him ? What he was like, what he did, where he was
going in life. Rather than pass on as another statistic.

thanks.

"pmailkeey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:47:00 +0000, David Cowie <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> :)This was on the corner of Upper Thames street and Southwark Bridge. )The bike was folded into
> :the gutter. Looks maybe as if he was going )straight (west) along Upper Thames and the truck was
> :going left )(south) to go over the bridge. HGV was a huge 6 wheeler that carries )building
> :material/rubble.
>
> Looks like he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

That sounds like a bit of an understatement!

I don't want to seem judgemental - one never knows if one wasn't there - and it could be the case
that it was something that could have happened to any of us if we had had the misfortune to be
similarly in the wrong place - but still I can't help wondering how or why this kind of accident
still happens to someone as experienced in traffic as one might assume a cycle courier to be. I
mean, don't we all know not to go up the inside of lorries at a junction for chris'sake (whether
they are indicating or not)?

Rich

"Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> I don't want to seem judgemental - one never knows if one wasn't there - and it could be the case
> that it was something that could have happened to any of us if we had had the misfortune to be
> similarly in the wrong place -

Exactly.

--
Dave...

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 00:00:36 -0000, "Richard Goodman"
<[email protected]> wrote:

:)"pmailkeey" <[email protected]> wrote in
:message )news:[email protected]... )>
:Looks like he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. )
:)That sounds like a bit of an understatement! ) )I don't
:want to seem judgemental - one never knows if one wasn't
:there - and )it could be the case that it was something
:that could have happened to any )of us if we had had the
:misfortune to be similarly in the wrong place - but )still
:I can't help wondering how or why this kind of accident
:still happens )to someone as experienced in traffic as one
:might assume a cycle courier to )be. I mean, don't we all
:know not to go up the inside of lorries at a )junction for
:chris'sake (whether they are indicating or not)? )

Yeah - it's a bit of a puzzle.

I'll use them - but always appreciate what the HGV is
likely/can do and the space left for me to do something in.

I once passed a milk tanker indicating right (I was in a
car) and the tanker driver was annoyed. I just assumed he
wasn't suicidal and neither planned to roll the tanker over
by turning right at the speed he was going nor wished to
enter a field by making his own hole in the wall. His
indication was somewhat premature and I was well past him
before he made his turn.
--
Comm again, Mike.

in message <[email protected]>, pmailkeey
('[email protected]') wrote:

> I once passed a milk tanker indicating right (I was in a
> car) and the tanker driver was annoyed. I just assumed he
> wasn't suicidal and neither planned to roll the tanker
> over by turning right at the speed he was going nor wished
> to enter a field by making his own hole in the wall. His
> indication was somewhat premature and I was well past him
> before he made his turn.

Give people who drive milk tankers a bit of a break; they're
terrifyingly difficult things to drive. Whereas other large
bulk liquid carriers have lots of baffles to stop the liquid
sloshing around, if you do that with milk you have to dig
the butter out at the end of a journey (after all, a butter
churn is just an agitated tank with baffles). Consequently
milk tankers have no baffles, and consequently the load -
several tons of it - sloshes around making sharp cornering
and braking exceedingly dodgy manouvres. People who drive
milk tankers DO NOT like people who may cause them to brake,
and tend to plan their braking and turning early and
carefully.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke)
http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

There are no messages. The above is just a random
stream of bytes. Any opinion or meaning you find in
it is your own creation.

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 11:05:14 GMT, Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>,
> pmailkeey ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> I once passed a milk tanker indicating right (I was in a
>> car) and the tanker driver was annoyed. I just assumed he
>> wasn't suicidal and neither planned to roll the tanker
>> over by turning right at the speed he was going nor
>> wished to enter a field by making his own hole in the
>> wall. His indication was somewhat premature and I was
>> well past him before he made his turn.
>
> Give people who drive milk tankers a bit of a break;
> they're terrifyingly difficult things to drive. Whereas
> other large bulk liquid carriers have lots of baffles to
> stop the liquid sloshing around, if you do that with milk
> you have to dig the butter out at the end of a journey
> (after all, a butter churn is just an agitated tank with
> baffles). Consequently milk tankers have no baffles, and
> consequently the load - several tons of it - sloshes
> around making sharp cornering and braking exceedingly
> dodgy manouvres. People who drive milk tankers DO NOT like
> people who may cause them to brake, and tend to plan their
> braking and turning early and carefully.

Not to mention that second guessing the intentions of
someone indicating right sounds pretty suicidal. He may
have been about to pull out to avoid that cyclist or
pothole you couldn't see ahead of him. Indeed you might
have forced him to drive through that pothole he was trying
to avoid, explaining his annoyance. All in all a pretty
dumb thing to do.

--
Trevor Barton