London messenger killed by collision with HGV whilst working

In article <[email protected]>,
Trevor Barton <[email protected]> writes:

> Not to mention that second guessing the intentions of
> someone indicating right sounds pretty suicidal. He may
> have been about to pull out to avoid that cyclist

Exactly.

If idiots doing that faced automatic loss of license first
time, then a death is avoided the nth time when the cyclist
is there and there's no room for the tanker both to pass the
cyclist and avoid the moron.

--
Nick Kew

Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:

> > I once passed a milk tanker indicating right (I was in a
> > car) and the tanker driver was annoyed. I just assumed
> > he wasn't suicidal and neither planned to roll the
> > tanker over by turning right at the speed he was going
> > nor wished to enter a field by making his own hole in
> > the wall. His indication was somewhat premature and I
> > was well past him before he made his turn.
>
> Give people who drive milk tankers a bit of a break;
> they're terrifyingly difficult things to drive. Whereas
> other large bulk liquid carriers have lots of baffles to
> stop the liquid sloshing around, if you do that with milk
> you have to dig the butter out at the end of a journey
> (after all, a butter churn is just an agitated tank with
> baffles). Consequently milk tankers have no baffles, and
> consequently the load - several tons of it - sloshes
> around making sharp cornering and braking exceedingly
> dodgy manouvres. People who drive milk tankers DO NOT like
> people who may cause them to brake, and tend to plan their
> braking and turning early and carefully.

Then it sounds to me that the vehicle is dangerously
unstable and shoudn't be allowed onto the road!

--
Marc. Please note the above address is a spam trap, use
marcc to reply Printing for clubs of all types

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 12:44:15 GMT, Trevor Barton <[email protected]>
wrote:

:) )Not to mention that second guessing the intentions of
:someone indicating )right sounds pretty suicidal. He may
:have been about to pull out to )avoid that cyclist or
:pothole you couldn't see ahead of him. Indeed )you might
:have forced him to drive through that pothole he was trying
:)to avoid, explaining his annoyance. All in all a pretty
:dumb thing )to do.

Being a regular commute for me at the time I knew there were
not potholes - and I could see the road ahead for him was
clear anyway. He indicated his intensions - just too early !
--
Comm again, Mike.

[email protected] (marc) wrote in message news:<1gadv1q.1ao00myv6nh4gN%[email protected]>...
> Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Then it sounds to me that the vehicle is dangerously
> unstable and shoudn't be allowed onto the road!

Not at all. It's just that it (like all vehicles) needs to
be driven carefully, and that the people in vehicles near
them need to be careful, too. Overtaking ANY vehicle that
is indicating right is a particularly reckless thing to do.
Many accidents involving lorries are caused by people
assuming that lorries and their drivers are slow, lumbering
and stupid whilst they themselves are fast, nimble and
quick witted. As a result they they try to second guess the
lorry driver actions and outmanouvre them, with sometimes
fatal results.

(On the other hand, I've been in a car that was stupidly
written off by a slow (5mph) lumbering lorry, so don't think
I'm absolving them.)

Vince.

On 17 Mar 2004 23:12:39 -0800, [email protected] (Vince) wrote:

>Many accidents involving lorries are caused by people
>assuming that lorries and their drivers are slow, lumbering
>and stupid whilst they themselves are fast, nimble and
>quick witted. As a result they they try to second guess the
>lorry driver actions and outmanouvre them, with sometimes
>fatal results.

Hi Vince

IMO many cycling near misses come from either the bike rider
or the motorist - or both - assuming the other's actions.

James

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 16:05:01 +0000, James Hodson
<[email protected]> wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

>IMO many cycling near misses come from either the
>bike rider or the motorist - or both - assuming the
>other's actions.

What, like the bike rider thinking it's OK to go out on the
road because he /assumes/ that drivers will drive according
to the highway code, y'mean? ;-)

--
Guy
===

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
Washington University

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 18:32:51 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>>IMO many cycling near misses come from either the bike
>>rider or the motorist - or both - assuming the other's
>>actions.
>
>What, like the bike rider thinking it's OK to go out on the
>road because he /assumes/ that drivers will drive according
>to the highway code, y'mean? ;-)

The highway what?