London post Congestion Charge

Status
Not open for further replies.
j-p.s <[email protected]> wrote:
>As long as you ignore a sufficient number of disadvantages, then free- market advocates are able to
>apply the theory to anything. Remember what town Keynes had named after him,

That would be, er, nowhere. It's not named after Milton, either.
--
David Damerell <[email protected]> flcl?

David Damerell wrote:
> j-p.s <[email protected]> wrote:
>> As long as you ignore a sufficient number of disadvantages, then free- market advocates are able
>> to apply the theory to anything. Remember what town Keynes had named after him,
>
> That would be, er, nowhere. It's not named after Milton, either.

Oh yes it is! It's just sheer coincidence that an ancient village called Milton Keynes can be found
a short bike ride away from MK city ;-)

--
~PB FA: 62cm Ti frame: http://tinyurl.com/6stt ==ending tonight==

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, David Damerell wrote:

> >As long as you ignore a sufficient number of disadvantages, then free- market advocates are able
> >to apply the theory to anything. Remember what town Keynes had named after him,
>
> That would be, er, nowhere. It's not named after Milton, either.

Nor was John Maynard Keynes an advocate of the free market, as I suspect J-P knows very well. Are
you thinking of Milton Friedman?

Henry Braun <[email protected]> wrote:
>On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, David Damerell wrote:
>>J-P wrote, but someone deleted the attribution line:
>>>As long as you ignore a sufficient number of disadvantages, then free- market advocates are able
>>>to apply the theory to anything. Remember what town Keynes had named after him,
>>That would be, er, nowhere. It's not named after Milton, either.
>Nor was John Maynard Keynes an advocate of the free market, as I suspect J-P knows very well. Are
>you thinking of Milton Friedman?

I think you can choose any Milton you like for Milton Keynes not to be named after.
--
David Damerell <[email protected]> flcl?

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:05:59 +0000, Henry Braun scrawled: ) Nor was John Maynard Keynes an advocate
of the free market, as I suspect ) J-P knows very well. Are you thinking of Milton Friedman?

... Um, let's say I am. I am now, certainly. I think I was thinking of Adam Smith, and always class
Keynes with him. *Now* I'm thinking of Adam Faith, and nobody is going to shift When Johnny Comes
Marching Home from my head this side of MTV tonight.

(Is The Damerell some sort of truth/logic-parsing machine that they let loose on the web or
something? Eliza with the Encyclopaedia Britannica as back-end, sent out to make sure
conversations are factually and grammatically correct, only without any beta-testing? I'd hate to
ever have to hold a conversation with him. It'd be a case of a little less conversation, a little
more Fifteen To One.)

J-P
--
Subject: [Dept] Fire Strikes tests=DEAR_SOMEBODY,KNOWN_MAILING_LIST, LINES_OF_YELLING,
MIME_NULL_BLOCK version=2.43

"Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "MarkK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
>
> > OTOH many motorists will be resorting to LPG conversions or false
plates, so
> > maybe congestion will return sooner than expected, and the accident
problem
> > will fade away.
>
> Do you seriously believe that motorists will resort to committing a serious criminal offence in
> sufficient numbers to have a significant impact on the number of cars in the charging zone?

LPG conversions are legal. False plates are unlikely to have a significant effect. Obviously.

"MarkK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> LPG conversions are legal. False plates are unlikely to have a significant effect. Obviously.

It was the false plates that I was referring to of course. Paul Smith seems to think number plate
cloning is becoming common, however. Perhaps I was being naive.

--
Dave...

> Curiously I found the bus lanes to be the most crowded place now. Often the adjacent lane was
> virtually empty while the buses were all queued up in the bus lane.

Is it true that the bus timetables have had to be rewritten. I was told the buses move so fast now
that the drivers were forced to stop at certain 'time check' points for 10 to 15 minutes sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.