London post Congestion Charge

j-p.s <[email protected]> wrote:
>As long as you ignore a sufficient number of disadvantages, then free- market advocates are able to
>apply the theory to anything. Remember what town Keynes had named after him,

That would be, er, nowhere. It's not named after Milton, either.

David Damerell wrote:
> j-p.s <[email protected]> wrote:
>> As long as you ignore a sufficient number of disadvantages, then free- market advocates are able
>> to apply the theory to anything. Remember what town Keynes had named after him,
>
> That would be, er, nowhere. It's not named after Milton, either.

Oh yes it is! It's just sheer coincidence that an ancient village called Milton Keynes can be found
a short bike ride away from MK city ;-)

--
~PB FA: 62cm Ti frame: http://tinyurl.com/6stt ==ending tonight==

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, David Damerell wrote:

> >As long as you ignore a sufficient number of disadvantages, then free- market advocates are able
> >to apply the theory to anything. Remember what town Keynes had named after him,
>
> That would be, er, nowhere. It's not named after Milton, either.

Nor was John Maynard Keynes an advocate of the free market, as I suspect J-P knows very well. Are
you thinking of Milton Friedman?

Henry Braun <[email protected]> wrote:
>On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, David Damerell wrote:
>>J-P wrote, but someone deleted the attribution line:
>>>As long as you ignore a sufficient number of disadvantages, then free- market advocates are able
>>>to apply the theory to anything. Remember what town Keynes had named after him,
>>That would be, er, nowhere. It's not named after Milton, either.
>Nor was John Maynard Keynes an advocate of the free market, as I suspect J-P knows very well. Are
>you thinking of Milton Friedman?

I think you can choose any Milton you like for Milton Keynes not to be named after.

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:05:59 +0000, Henry Braun scrawled: ) Nor was John Maynard Keynes an advocate
of the free market, as I suspect ) J-P knows very well. Are you thinking of Milton Friedman?

... Um, let's say I am. I am now, certainly. I think I was thinking of Adam Smith, and always class
Keynes with him. *Now* I'm thinking of Adam Faith, and nobody is going to shift When Johnny Comes
Marching Home from my head this side of MTV tonight.

(Is The Damerell some sort of truth/logic-parsing machine that they let loose on the web or
something? Eliza with the Encyclopaedia Britannica as back-end, sent out to make sure
conversations are factually and grammatically correct, only without any beta-testing? I'd hate to
ever have to hold a conversation with him. It'd be a case of a little less conversation, a little
more Fifteen To One.)

J-P
--
Subject: [Dept] Fire Strikes tests=DEAR_SOMEBODY,KNOWN_MAILING_LIST, LINES_OF_YELLING,
MIME_NULL_BLOCK version=2.43

"Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "MarkK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > OTOH many motorists will be resorting to LPG conversions or false
plates, so
> > maybe congestion will return sooner than expected, and the accident
problem
> > will fade away.
>
> Do you seriously believe that motorists will resort to committing a serious criminal offence in
> sufficient numbers to have a significant impact on the number of cars in the charging zone?

LPG conversions are legal. False plates are unlikely to have a significant effect. Obviously.

"MarkK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> LPG conversions are legal. False plates are unlikely to have a significant effect. Obviously.

It was the false plates that I was referring to of course. Paul Smith seems to think number plate
cloning is becoming common, however. Perhaps I was being naive.

--
Dave...

> Curiously I found the bus lanes to be the most crowded place now. Often the adjacent lane was
> virtually empty while the buses were all queued up in the bus lane.

Is it true that the bus timetables have had to be rewritten. I was told the buses move so fast now
that the drivers were forced to stop at certain 'time check' points for 10 to 15 minutes sometimes.