London Taxi Attempted Assault

Jon Senior

Guest
Sorry to hear about this. If you fail with your attempts to get a
response and get nowhere with other groups such as the CTC I would
suggest "releasing" the numberplate so that other cyclists can "stay
away"... if you catch my drift!

Actually, it might be worth contacting the council since I believe they
should be able to revoke his taxi status.

Jon

Any advice anyone can give me on how to pursue a rather nasty incident
that happened to me last night? The police say that since the
witnesses' names and addresses were not collected there is nothing
they can do. The Public Carriage Office - well, the response I got
from them on the phone reminded me that they're really just a
professional association looking to protect the interests of their
white, male, members, and therefore wholly uninterested in dealing
with complaints using a proper, formal process. If anyone's had any
success through any channels in having this sort of thing addressed
properly, advice much appreciated.

I was cycling along a quiet road in central London and noticed that a
black cab travelling in front of me and in the same direction had
pulled over to the side of the road. I don't remember whether the
vehicle indicated or not. As I started to pull around the vehicle the
drivers side door opened and the driver stepped out. I had to swerve
to avoid him, and the door. This is such a common incident in London
– drivers not checking the road to ensure that it is traffic-free
before opening doors onto the road – that I didn't stop to complain.
About 20 seconds later, I realised that a vehicle had pulled up
alongside me and was trying to force me off the road. I had to swerve
onto the pavement. It's a high kerb there so to mount the kerb in
such a hurry made me almost fall off my bike. I have no doubt that he
was trying to hit me. The vehicle then drove off in the same
direction, turning right at the next T junction. I shouted at him,
noted his license plate number, and then turned left at the
T-junction.

A further 20 seconds later, I realised that the same vehicle was
pulling up behind me and that the driver was hurling abuse at me
through the open window. Terrified, I pulled my bicycle onto the kerb
again, in fear that he would attempt to run me down, and called 999 on
my mobile as quickly as possible. He then did a U turn and headed
south along the Outer Circle. All I can remember about what he
shouted was one line: "You don't like it much when someone tries it on
you, do you, you ****?" He also spat at me through the open window.

Matt

Jon Senior wrote:
>> Actually, it might be worth contacting the council since I believe

> they should be able to revoke his taxi status.

Not without witnesses.

pk

On 9 Jul 2004 06:54:11 -0700, Matt G wrote:

> A further 20 seconds later, I realised that the same vehicle was
> pulling up behind me and that the driver was hurling abuse at me
> through the open window. Terrified, I pulled my bicycle onto the kerb
> again, in fear that he would attempt to run me down, and called 999 on
> my mobile as quickly as possible. He then did a U turn and headed
> south along the Outer Circle. All I can remember about what he
> shouted was one line: "You don't like it much when someone tries it on
> you, do you, you ****?" He also spat at me through the open window.

Did you get the plate?

Without it theres little that can be done.

With it, you should make sure its reported to the police, and insist on a
crime number, with a few follow up phone calls to chase them for a
response. Also report it and ask for a written responce from the PCO.

Steve

"PK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jon Senior wrote:
> >> Actually, it might be worth contacting the council since I believe

> > they should be able to revoke his taxi status.

> Not without witnesses.
>
> pk

But with a crime report number from the police, surely even raising the
issue with the council would start a brief enquiry? They can't just ignore
it out of hand, can they?

Nick

PK wrote:

> Jon Senior wrote:
> >> Actually, it might be worth contacting the council since I believe

> > they should be able to revoke his taxi status.

> Not without witnesses.

BUT it IS worth reporting to to council as they may put a mark on his
record and if another incident is reported then action is more likely to
be taken.

Jim Chisholm

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 14:51:56 +0100, Jon Senior wrote:

> Sorry to hear about this. If you fail with your attempts to get a
> response and get nowhere with other groups such as the CTC I would
> suggest "releasing" the numberplate so that other cyclists can "stay
> away"... if you catch my drift!

Maybe the driver sold the car, or shares it with another driver (days /
nights - I don't know if this is possible). It doesn't sound a good idea
to me.

> Actually, it might be worth contacting the council since I believe they
> should be able to revoke his taxi status.

How are taxis regulated? A particular company often beeps their horn
outside my window as late as 3.00 AM, so I have an interest. I've got as
far as the yellow pages, but didn't find anything that looked like a
regulatory agency.

AC

"anonymous coward" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 14:51:56 +0100, Jon Senior wrote:
>
> > Sorry to hear about this. If you fail with your attempts to get a
> > response and get nowhere with other groups such as the CTC I would
> > suggest "releasing" the numberplate so that other cyclists can "stay
> > away"... if you catch my drift!

> Maybe the driver sold the car, or shares it with another driver (days /
> nights - I don't know if this is possible). It doesn't sound a good idea
> to me.
>
> > Actually, it might be worth contacting the council since I believe they
> > should be able to revoke his taxi status.

> How are taxis regulated? A particular company often beeps their horn
> outside my window as late as 3.00 AM, so I have an interest. I've got as
> far as the yellow pages, but didn't find anything that looked like a
> regulatory agency.

I think this case involved a black cab rather than a mini cab.

tony R.

Matt G wrote:

> A further 20 seconds later, I realised that the same vehicle was
> pulling up behind me and that the driver was hurling abuse at me
> through the open window. Terrified, I pulled my bicycle onto the kerb
> again, in fear that he would attempt to run me down, and called 999 on
> my mobile as quickly as possible. He then did a U turn and headed
> south along the Outer Circle. All I can remember about what he
> shouted was one line: "You don't like it much when someone tries it on
> you, do you, you ****?" He also spat at me through the open window.

Given the state of physical fitness of the average London cabby, I think
I'd have gone somewhere he couldn't follow in the cab, then hoped he'd
get out for a fight.

Zog The Undeniable [email protected] opined the following...
> Given the state of physical fitness of the average London cabby, I think
> I'd have gone somewhere he couldn't follow in the cab, then hoped he'd
> get out for a fight.

Brake fluid in a water pistol. You don't even have to pick the teeth out
of your knuckles that way!

Jon

P.S I meant to imply using the brake fluid on the car, but I guess the
driver would be just as good an option!

[email protected] (Matt G) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

snip

He also spat at me through the open window.

> Matt

Is there is some spit still on your clothes? Is'nt that DNA?

I have been spat at on Holloway Road by a driver....... (Coward made
sure he could drive off first!)...........I only thought of this a few
days later after washes.
Sean.

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 18:51:51 GMT, Andy <[email protected]> wrote:

> "sean" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > [email protected] (Matt G) wrote in message

> news:<[email protected]>...
> >
> > snip
> >
> > He also spat at me through the open window.
> >
> > Is there is some spit still on your clothes? Is'nt that DNA?

> You think the police are going to perform DNA analysis if you report
> someone spitting at you ?

No, but they might do a DNA analysis of a sample obtained from someone
who attempted murder and fled the scene. Clearly, it _was_ attempted
murder rather than accident, from teh comments of teh driver.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Ian Smith wrote:

> No, but they might do a DNA analysis of a sample obtained from someone
> who attempted murder and fled the scene. Clearly, it _was_ attempted
> murder rather than accident, from teh comments of teh driver.

I bet the police would see it more as threatening behavior, though. I agree
with you; using a car in this manner is akin to murderous.

"sean" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Matt G) wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...

> snip
>
> He also spat at me through the open window.
> >
> > Matt

> Is there is some spit still on your clothes? Is'nt that DNA?
>
> I have been spat at on Holloway Road by a driver....... (Coward made
> sure he could drive off first!)...........I only thought of this a few
> days later after washes.
> Sean.

You think the police are going to perform DNA analysis if you report
someone spitting at you ?

LOL.

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 17:19:40 +0100, anonymous coward
<[email protected]> wrote:

>How are taxis regulated? A particular company often beeps their horn
>outside my window as late as 3.00 AM, so I have an interest. I've got as
>far as the yellow pages, but didn't find anything that looked like a
>regulatory agency.

Outside of that London, local authority is often the body (my mum did
a stint or two as a borough councillor and was on the taxi licensing
committe.) I suspect London has different rules.

Tim
--
For those who have trouble distinguishing, cynicsm, sarcasm, humour etc,
try mentally inserting smilies thoughout my post until it either

(Jon Senior urc)

Tim Hall <[email protected]>typed

> On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 17:19:40 +0100, anonymous coward
> <[email protected]> wrote:

> >How are taxis regulated? A particular company often beeps their horn
> >outside my window as late as 3.00 AM, so I have an interest. I've got as
> >far as the yellow pages, but didn't find anything that looked like a
> >regulatory agency.

> Outside of that London, local authority is often the body (my mum did
> a stint or two as a borough councillor and was on the taxi licensing
> committe.) I suspect London has different rules.

TfL here. Dunno how interested they'd be. Maybe ourKen needs another letter...

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote

> Given the state of physical fitness of the average London cabby, I think
> I'd have gone somewhere he couldn't follow in the cab, then hoped he'd
> get out for a fight.

Hmmm maybe but I wouldn't want to encounter one of the several cabbies
that appear to spend the first half of the day at the local gym in
Canning Town. I don't think they are all just Muscle Marys!

I guess though that people with that sort of self discipline don't go
around being yobbish anyway.

Simonb wrote:
> Ian Smith wrote:
>
>>No, but they might do a DNA analysis of a sample obtained from someone
>>who attempted murder and fled the scene. Clearly, it _was_ attempted
>>murder rather than accident, from teh comments of teh driver.

> I bet the police would see it more as threatening behavior, though. I agree
> with you; using a car in this manner is akin to murderous.

Not much to add to previous comments, but don't let them fob you off
saying they can do nothing. You have enough info to identify the
driver, and the police can 'have a word' at the very least.

No doubt said taxi driver would be equally aggrieved if you were
keeping a safe 1.2m plus from a row of parked cars, and thereby
prevented him from overtaking. But you should, you know. Another time
you might not be able to miss the idiot.

Colin McKenzie

> How are taxis regulated? A particular company often beeps their horn
> outside my window as late as 3.00 AM, so I have an interest. I've got as
> far as the yellow pages, but didn't find anything that looked like a
> regulatory agency.

Normally the local council. Up here in Manchester some annoyed person had
a merry time reporting the beeping drivers to the council. It worked for
him so will probably work for you if you can be bothered to get out of bed
at 3am and note down their registration plates.

"Matt G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> A further 20 seconds later, I realised that the same vehicle was
> pulling up behind me and that the driver was hurling abuse at me
> through the open window. Terrified, I pulled my bicycle onto the kerb
> again, in fear that he would attempt to run me down, and called 999 on
> my mobile as quickly as possible. He then did a U turn and headed
> south along the Outer Circle. All I can remember about what he
> shouted was one line: "You don't like it much when someone tries it on
> you, do you, you ****?" He also spat at me through the open window.

Doesn't sound unusual for a London Black Cab. I'm surprised another one did
pull up to give him a hand.

I doubt you'll get the police to do anything.