London Taxi Attempted Assault

"Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 09:07:21 +0100, Dr Curious wrote:
>

> > Or rather for the benefit of all the increasingly desparate
> > spelling flamers - "petard"
> >

> 'Desperate' or 'disparate'?

Exactly MacClancy.

You're effectively on your own, and you're growing increasingly
desparate.

Curious

> --
> Michael MacClancy
> Random putdown - "His mother should have thrown him away and kept the
> stork." - Mae West
> www.macclancy.demon.co.uk
> www.macclancy.co.uk

"Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 09:07:21 +0100, Dr Curious wrote:
>

> > Or rather for the benefit of all the increasingly desparate
> > spelling flamers - "petard"
> >

> 'Desperate' or 'disparate'?

Exactly MacClancy.

You're effectively on your own, and you're growing increasingly
desparate. And desperate as well.

Curious

Dr Curious wrote:
> "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Dr Curious wrote:
>>> "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Because it's a lot easier to park a bike in Central London or any
>>> other Town Centre in the UK, than it is a car.
>>>
>>> Those on bikes are bi-passing the public transport option
>>> altogether.
>>>
>>> Same possibly with much of the animosity from taxi drivers.
>>>

>> If I were travelling upon, for example, Uncle Kenneth's Underground
>> Railway, would I not also be costing the bus company a fare?

> Yes. But tube passengers don't come into direct contact with bus
> drivers do they? Except when being carried to the station as
> passengers maybe. And so bus drivers have no opportunity to
> develop animosity towards tube passengers, as they never see any.

I still remain puzzled as to how anyone can arrive at the conclusion that
bus drivers give a stuff whether a cyclist is "costing the bus company a
fare.

Especially since bus drivers would have a much easier time of it if there
were no passengers on their bus at all.

I also remain puzzled as to how anyone can write "our being on a bike costs
the bus company a fare" and then act surprised when people point out that it
is Clearly Bollocks.

But hey, that's just me.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

> I still remain puzzled as to how anyone can arrive at the
> conclusion that bus drivers give a stuff whether a cyclist
> is "costing the bus company a fare.
>
> Especially since bus drivers would have a much easier time of
> it if there were no passengers on their bus at all.

But bus drivers wouldn't even have a job at all if there were no
passengers on their bus.

And I'm greatly puzzled as to how anyone could imagine otherwise
when such a suggestion is Clearly Bollocks.

I think that's where you're going wrong there somehow.

But hey, that's just me.

> I also remain puzzled

No surprises there then

Curious

Dr Curious wrote:

>>> So how do you suggest bus drivers are able identify which
>>> pedestrians to kill and injure ? How do they distingish between
>>> those who are on their way to the bus stop in order to catch a bus,
>>> from those who definitely aren't?

>> And that's your explanation for why they only try to kill cyclists?
>> Fascinating.

> Wherever did I ever claim that bus drivers deliberately try to kill
> cyclists?

Phrases like "how do you suggest bus drivers are able identify which
pedestrians to kill and injure" tend to imply a degree of intent, don't you
think?

> All I ever said, was they didn't necessarily show them sufficient
> consideration at times.
> You're the one who tried to further the argument to such
> ridiculous lengths.

Not as far as I know, my first contribution was to suggest that pedestrians
and taxi passengers were "deserving" of the same treatment, as they, too,
are costing the bus company a fare.

> So kindly don't whinge so, when you're so obviously shown to be
> hoist with your own pertard.

Not as such, no. All the whingeing I can see hereabouts seems to emanate
from a curious direction, and to be "hoist by one's own petard" means, in
essence, to suffer harm by a plan which you intended to harm others. I
can't see any evidence of that here.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

> >> And that's your explanation for why they only try to kill cyclists?
> >> Fascinating.

> > Wherever did I ever claim that bus drivers deliberately try to kill
> > cyclists?

> Phrases like "how do you suggest bus drivers are able identify which
> pedestrians to kill and injure" tend to imply a degree of intent, don't
> you think?

As did the original post which sparked off this sub-thread

news:<[email protected]>...

<quote>

I was once run off the road by a bus in Oxford. The driver
deliberately pulled closer to the kerb as he pulled alongside
me. He seemed to take offence at me passing him (safely) on
the inside (using a bicycle lane) while he was in a stationary
queue. He made contact with my arm and I came close to coming off.
</quote>

> > All I ever said, was they didn't necessarily show them sufficient
> > consideration at times.
> > You're the one who tried to further the argument to such
> > ridiculous lengths.

> Not as far as I know, my first contribution was to suggest that
> pedestrians and taxi passengers were "deserving" of the same
> treatment, as they, too, are costing the bus company a fare.

So in other words you're suggesting that they're deserving of being run
off the road by a bus, as was the OP

news:<[email protected]>...

<quote>

I was once run off the road by a bus in Oxford. The driver
deliberately pulled closer to the kerb as he pulled alongside
me. He seemed to take offence at me passing him (safely) on
the inside (using a bicycle lane) while he was in a stationary
queue. He made contact with my arm and I came close to coming off.

</quote>

And yet you still have to explain exactly how bus drivers can be
expected to single out and idenify non-bus-using pedestrians and
taxi passengers, in order to at least "run them off the road".

And so how are you proposing that they do that?

Because otherwise your suggestion doesn't really make any sense,
does it?

<snipped pertards>

Curious

> Guy
> --
> May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
> http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 11:19:19 +0100, Dr Curious <[email protected]>
wrote:

> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Dr Curious wrote:
>> > Wherever did I ever claim that bus drivers deliberately try to kill
>> > cyclists?

>> Phrases like "how do you suggest bus drivers are able identify which
>> pedestrians to kill and injure" tend to imply a degree of intent, don't
>> you think?

> As did the original post which sparked off this sub-thread

Whoa. I posted brief details of a single incident that happened to me. I
do not from that one incident infer that all bus drivers are out to get me
because I don't pay my fare.

> So in other words you're suggesting that they're deserving of being run
> off the road by a bus, as was the OP

Again. I have suggested nothing of the sort. You were the only person to
raise the idea that bus drivers showed animosity towards cyclists because
they don't use buses. A suggest which is utterly ludricrous and one whih
you now seem to want to disown by chuntering on about bicycles being the
AK47s of the masses and other such irrelevant rubbish.

Colin

Dr Curious wrote:

> But bus drivers wouldn't even have a job at all if there were no
> passengers on their bus.

OK, try this one. Bus drivers would have a much easier time of it if there
were fewer passengers on their bus, and/or hanging around at bus stops
waiting to get on it. All that stopping and starting. Tch!

And the contention that I as a cyclist, am costing the bus company a fare,
is still Clearly Bollocks.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

news:eek:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 11:19:19 +0100, Dr Curious <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> > "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> Phrases like "how do you suggest bus drivers are able identify which
> >> pedestrians to kill and injure" tend to imply a degree of intent,

don't
> >> you think?

> > As did the original post which sparked off this sub-thread

> Whoa. I posted brief details of a single incident that happened to me. I
> do not from that one incident infer that all bus drivers are out to get

me
> because I don't pay my fare.

I never claimed you did. All that's in question here is Guy's
suggestion that what happened to you, should equally well be
happening to pedestrians and tube travellers. When this is
is clearly a practical impossibility.

It simply doesn't add up.

> > So in other words you're suggesting that they're deserving of being run
> > off the road by a bus, as was the OP

> Again. I have suggested nothing of the sort.

No Colin. I wasn't referring to what you were suggesting.

I was referring to the fact that you were run off the road by
a bus. At least that's what you claimed happened.

> You were the only person to
> raise the idea that bus drivers showed animosity towards cyclists
> because they don't use buses. A suggest which is utterly ludricrous
> and one whih you now seem to want to disown by chuntering on about
> bicycles being the AK47s of the masses and other such irrelevant rubbish.

I don't want to disown it at all. Solely as a result of the postioning
of bus stops, etc cyclists clearly represent a nuisance to bus drivers
which they clearly wouldn't be, if they were seated inside the bus.

The AK47 reference as you well know, is in relation to the subvrsive
potential implicit in any sphere of widspread and yet largely
unregulated - in purely beauracratic terms - sphere of activity
such as cycling.

I know that seems to you at least, to be a somewhat novel way of
thinking. And thus may come as something as a shock.

But there it is, I'm afraid.

Curious

> Colin

"Dr Curious" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

<some ****>

-------------------------
| |
| PLEASE |
| DO NOT |
| FEED THE |
| TROLL. |
| |
| -mgmt |
-------------------------
| |
| |
| |
\\| |//

> Dr Curious wrote:
>
> > But bus drivers wouldn't even have a job at all if there were no
> > passengers on their bus.

> OK, try this one. Bus drivers would have a much easier time of it
> if there were fewer passengers on their bus, and/or hanging around
> at bus stops waiting to get on it. All that stopping and starting.
> Tch!

They still wouldn't have a job without any passengers though. So
there must be at least some. Maybe just the one or two at most bus
stops. Either getting off or getting on. And every time he has to
pull over to every one of these blessed stops, stop, after stop,
after stop - doesn't it ever....who's that poodling along up his
inside?

Have a guess. Six letters and begins with a "C" .

Yup it's cyclist!

> And the contention that I as a cyclist, am costing the bus
> company a fare, is still Clearly Bollocks.

Not are you costing the bus company a fare but you may well be
irritating the driver to boot. If you were sitting on a seat inside
his bus, instead of holding him up as he pulls into bus stops he'd
be a much happier bunny all round.

Not Bollocks at all.

Curious

Dr Curious wrote:

> But bus drivers wouldn't even have a job at all if there were no
> passengers on their bus.
>
> And I'm greatly puzzled as to how anyone could imagine otherwise
> when such a suggestion is Clearly Bollocks.

My experience of bus drivers would suggest many have not yet made that
connections and still see anything that gets rid of passengers as a good
thing. YMMV

Tony

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 12:19:43 +0100, Dr Curious <[email protected]>
wrote:

> "Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:eek:[email protected]...
>> On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 11:19:19 +0100, Dr Curious
>> <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>> > So in other words you're suggesting that they're deserving of being

>> run
>> > off the road by a bus, as was the OP

>> Again. I have suggested nothing of the sort.

> No Colin. I wasn't referring to what you were suggesting.
>
> I was referring to the fact that you were run off the road by
> a bus. At least that's what you claimed happened.

In that case use clearer English :

"So, in other words, you're suggesting that they're deserving of being run
off the road by a bus, as the OP claimed he was."

> I don't want to disown it at all. Solely as a result of the postioning
> of bus stops, etc cyclists clearly represent a nuisance to bus drivers
> which they clearly wouldn't be, if they were seated inside the bus.

So you say. Perhaps we could put the bus stops on the other side of the
road.

Colin

news:eek:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 12:19:43 +0100, Dr Curious <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> > "Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:eek:[email protected]...
> >> On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 11:19:19 +0100, Dr Curious
> >> <[email protected]>
> >> run
> >>
> >> Again. I have suggested nothing of the sort.

> > No Colin. I wasn't referring to what you were suggesting.
> >
> > I was referring to the fact that you were run off the road by
> > a bus. At least that's what you claimed happened.

> In that case use clearer English :

Try learning to read simple English Colin.

I wrote

"So in other words you're suggesting that they're deserving of being
run off the road by a bus, as was the OP"
^^^^

and not

"So in other words you're suggesting that they're deserving of being
run off the road by a bus, as DID the OP"
^^^^

Can you see the difference there silly Colin?

Goodbye silly Colin.

Curious

Dr Curious wrote:

> Not are you costing the bus company a fare but you may well be
> irritating the driver to boot. If you were sitting on a seat inside
> his bus, instead of holding him up as he pulls into bus stops he'd
> be a much happier bunny all round.
>
> Not Bollocks at all.

Since I have not, to the best of my recollection, used a bus instead of a
bike, since, let me think, now, er, forever, I am rather afraid that it is
indubitably Bollocks of the Highest Order.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Clive
George <[email protected]> breathed:
> -------------------------
> | |
> | PLEASE |
> | DO NOT |
> | FEED THE |
> | TROLL. |
> | |
> | -mgmt |
> -------------------------
> | |
> | |
> | |
> \\| |//
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Anyone got an ASCII art version of this with a bike leaning against the
sign?

:)

--
- Pyromancer.
- http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk <-- Pagan Gothic Rock!

Dr Curious wrote:

>> Phrases like "how do you suggest bus drivers are able identify which
>> pedestrians to kill and injure" tend to imply a degree of intent,
>> don't you think?

> As did the original post which sparked off this sub-thread

So who was it that introduced the Curious idea that cyclists bypassing the
PT infrastructure might be the cause of the animosity?

>> my first contribution was to suggest that
>> pedestrians and taxi passengers were "deserving" of the same
>> treatment, as they, too, are costing the bus company a fare.

> So in other words you're suggesting that they're deserving of being
> run off the road by a bus, as was the OP

What on earth is going on inside your head? You suggested that bikes
bypassing PT was a possible reason for animosity, I pointed out that this is
also true of pedestrians, and taxi passengers.

So, are you now going back on your original suggestion, or have you merely
lost the plot?

> And yet you still have to explain exactly how bus drivers can be
> expected to single out and idenify non-bus-using pedestrians and
> taxi passengers, in order to at least "run them off the road".

Probably the same way they single out non bus-using cyclists: by looking at
whether they are in a bus or not. After all, you can't tell at sight
whether a cyclist might or might not be an habitual bus user can you?
Especially if they use a folding bike.

On the other hand, Hanlon's Razor allows for a second and more plausible
explanation: bus drivers are numpties.

Dave Larrington wrote:

> OK, try this one. Bus drivers would have a much easier time of it if
> there were fewer passengers on their bus, and/or hanging around at
> bus stops waiting to get on it. All that stopping and starting. Tch!

<flanders&swann>
# I stops when I'm requested
# Although it spoils the ride
# So he can shout "Get out of it!"
# "We're full right up inside"
</flanders&swann>

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

> Dr Curious wrote:
>
> > Not are you costing the bus company a fare but you may well be
> > irritating the driver to boot. If you were sitting on a seat inside
> > his bus, instead of holding him up as he pulls into bus stops he'd
> > be a much happier bunny all round.
> >
> > Not Bollocks at all.

> Since I have not, to the best of my recollection, used a bus
> instead of a bike, since, let me think, now, er, forever,

But how is the bus driver supposed to recognise that fact?

> I am rather afraid that it is indubitably Bollocks of
> the Highest Order.

I'm sorry but that would only be the case if

a) That applied to the majority of cyclists and not just to yourself

b) The bus driver was indeed aware of that fact.

Curious