London Taxi Attempted Assault

Matt G

Guest
Any advice anyone can give me on how to pursue a rather
nasty incident that happened to me last night? The police
say that since the witnesses' names and addresses were not
collected there is nothing they can do. The Public Carriage
Office - well, the response I got from them on the phone
reminded me that they're really just a professional
association looking to protect the interests of their white,
male, members, and therefore wholly uninterested in dealing
with complaints using a proper, formal process. If anyone's
had any success through any channels in having this sort of
thing addressed properly, advice much appreciated.

I was cycling along a quiet road in central London and
noticed that a black cab travelling in front of me and in
the same direction had pulled over to the side of the road.
I don't remember whether the vehicle indicated or not. As I
started to pull around the vehicle the drivers side door
opened and the driver stepped out. I had to swerve to avoid
him, and the door. This is such a common incident in London
– drivers not checking the road to ensure that it is traffic-
free before opening doors onto the road – that I didn't stop
to complain. About 20 seconds later, I realised that a
vehicle had pulled up alongside me and was trying to force
me off the road. I had to swerve onto the pavement. It's a
high kerb there so to mount the kerb in such a hurry made me
almost fall off my bike. I have no doubt that he was trying
to hit me. The vehicle then drove off in the same direction,
turning right at the next T junction. I shouted at him,
noted his license plate number, and then turned left at the
T-junction.

A further 20 seconds later, I realised that the same vehicle
was pulling up behind me and that the driver was hurling
abuse at me through the open window. Terrified, I pulled my
bicycle onto the kerb again, in fear that he would attempt
to run me down, and called 999 on my mobile as quickly as
possible. He then did a U turn and headed south along the
Outer Circle. All I can remember about what he shouted was
one line: "You don't like it much when someone tries it on

Matt

Sorry to hear about this. If you fail with your attempts to
get a response and get nowhere with other groups such as the
CTC I would suggest "releasing" the numberplate so that
other cyclists can "stay away"... if you catch my drift!

Actually, it might be worth contacting the council since I
believe they should be able to revoke his taxi status.

Jon

Jon Senior wrote:
>> Actually, it might be worth contacting the council since
>> I believe
> they should be able to revoke his taxi status.

Not without witnesses.

pk

On 9 Jul 2004 06:54:11 -0700, Matt G wrote:

> A further 20 seconds later, I realised that the same
> vehicle was pulling up behind me and that the driver was
> hurling abuse at me through the open window. Terrified, I
> pulled my bicycle onto the kerb again, in fear that he
> would attempt to run me down, and called 999 on my mobile
> as quickly as possible. He then did a U turn and headed
> south along the Outer Circle. All I can remember about
> what he shouted was one line: "You don't like it much when
> someone tries it on

Did you get the plate?

Without it theres little that can be done.

With it, you should make sure its reported to the police,
and insist on a crime number, with a few follow up phone
calls to chase them for a response. Also report it and ask
for a written responce from the PCO.

Steve

"PK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jon Senior wrote:
> >> Actually, it might be worth contacting the council
> >> since I believe
> > they should be able to revoke his taxi status.
>

> Not without witnesses.
>
> pk

But with a crime report number from the police, surely even
raising the issue with the council would start a brief
enquiry? They can't just ignore it out of hand, can they?

Nick

PK wrote:

> Jon Senior wrote:
> >> Actually, it might be worth contacting the council
> >> since I believe
> > they should be able to revoke his taxi status.
>
> Not without witnesses.

BUT it IS worth reporting to to council as they may put a
mark on his record and if another incident is reported then
action is more likely to be taken.

Jim Chisholm

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 14:51:56 +0100, Jon Senior wrote:

> Sorry to hear about this. If you fail with your attempts
> to get a response and get nowhere with other groups such
> as the CTC I would suggest "releasing" the numberplate
> so that other cyclists can "stay away"... if you catch
> my drift!

Maybe the driver sold the car, or shares it with another
driver (days / nights - I don't know if this is possible).
It doesn't sound a good idea to me.

> Actually, it might be worth contacting the council since I
> believe they should be able to revoke his taxi status.

How are taxis regulated? A particular company often beeps
their horn outside my window as late as 3.00 AM, so I have
an interest. I've got as far as the yellow pages, but didn't
find anything that looked like a regulatory agency.

AC

"anonymous coward" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 14:51:56 +0100, Jon Senior wrote:
>
> > Sorry to hear about this. If you fail with your attempts
> > to get a response and get nowhere with other groups such
> > as the CTC I would suggest "releasing" the numberplate
> > so that other cyclists can "stay away"... if you catch
> > my drift!
>
> Maybe the driver sold the car, or shares it with another
> driver (days / nights - I don't know if this is possible).
> It doesn't sound a good idea to me.
>
> > Actually, it might be worth contacting the council since
> > I believe they should be able to revoke his taxi status.
>
> How are taxis regulated? A particular company often beeps
> their horn outside my window as late as 3.00 AM, so I have
> an interest. I've got as far as the yellow pages, but
> didn't find anything that looked like a regulatory agency.

I think this case involved a black cab rather than a mini
cab.

tony R.

Matt G wrote:

> A further 20 seconds later, I realised that the same
> vehicle was pulling up behind me and that the driver was
> hurling abuse at me through the open window. Terrified, I
> pulled my bicycle onto the kerb again, in fear that he
> would attempt to run me down, and called 999 on my mobile
> as quickly as possible. He then did a U turn and headed
> south along the Outer Circle. All I can remember about
> what he shouted was one line: "You don't like it much when
> someone tries it on

Given the state of physical fitness of the average London
cabby, I think I'd have gone somewhere he couldn't follow in
the cab, then hoped he'd get out for a fight.

Zog The Undeniable [email protected] opined the
following...
> Given the state of physical fitness of the average London
> cabby, I think I'd have gone somewhere he couldn't follow
> in the cab, then hoped he'd get out for a fight.

Brake fluid in a water pistol. You don't even have to pick
the teeth out of your knuckles that way!

Jon

P.S I meant to imply using the brake fluid on the car, but I
guess the driver would be just as good an option!

[email protected] (Matt G) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

snip

He also spat at me through the open window.

> Matt

Is there is some spit still on your clothes? Is'nt that DNA?

I have been spat at on Holloway Road by a driver.......
(Coward made sure he could drive off first!)...........I
only thought of this a few days later after washes. Sean.

"sean" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Matt G) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> snip
>
> He also spat at me through the open window.
> >
> > Matt
>

> Is there is some spit still on your clothes? Is'nt
> that DNA?
>
> I have been spat at on Holloway Road by a driver.......
> (Coward made sure he could drive off first!)...........I
> only thought of this a few days later after washes. Sean.

You think the police are going to perform DNA analysis if
you report someone spitting at you ?

LOL.

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 18:51:51 GMT, Andy <[email protected]> wrote:

> "sean" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > [email protected] (Matt G) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> >
> > snip
> >
> > He also spat at me through the open window.
> >
> > Is there is some spit still on your clothes? Is'nt
> > that DNA?
>
> You think the police are going to perform DNA analysis if
> you report someone spitting at you ?

No, but they might do a DNA analysis of a sample obtained
from someone who attempted murder and fled the scene.
Clearly, it _was_ attempted murder rather than accident,
from teh comments of teh driver.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Ian Smith wrote:

> No, but they might do a DNA analysis of a sample obtained
> from someone who attempted murder and fled the scene.
> Clearly, it _was_ attempted murder rather than accident,
> from teh comments of teh driver.

I bet the police would see it more as threatening behavior,
though. I agree with you; using a car in this manner is akin
to murderous.

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 17:19:40 +0100, anonymous coward
<[email protected]> wrote:

>How are taxis regulated? A particular company often beeps
>their horn outside my window as late as 3.00 AM, so I have
>an interest. I've got as far as the yellow pages, but
>didn't find anything that looked like a regulatory agency.

Outside of that London, local authority is often the body
(my mum did a stint or two as a borough councillor and was
on the taxi licensing committe.) I suspect London has
different rules.

Tim
--
For those who have trouble distinguishing, cynicsm, sarcasm,
humour etc, try mentally inserting smilies thoughout my post

(Jon Senior urc)

Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote

> Given the state of physical fitness of the average London
> cabby, I think I'd have gone somewhere he couldn't follow
> in the cab, then hoped he'd get out for a fight.

Hmmm maybe but I wouldn't want to encounter one of the
several cabbies that appear to spend the first half of the
day at the local gym in Canning Town. I don't think they are
all just Muscle Marys!

I guess though that people with that sort of self discipline
don't go around being yobbish anyway.

Tim Hall <[email protected]>typed

> On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 17:19:40 +0100, anonymous coward
> <[email protected]> wrote:

> >How are taxis regulated? A particular company often beeps
> >their horn outside my window as late as 3.00 AM, so I
> >have an interest. I've got as far as the yellow pages,
> >but didn't find anything that looked like a regulatory
> >agency.

> Outside of that London, local authority is often the body
> (my mum did a stint or two as a borough councillor and was
> on the taxi licensing committe.) I suspect London has
> different rules.

TfL here. Dunno how interested they'd be. Maybe ourKen needs
another letter...

Simonb wrote:
> Ian Smith wrote:
>
>>No, but they might do a DNA analysis of a sample obtained
>>from someone who attempted murder and fled the scene.
>>Clearly, it _was_ attempted murder rather than accident,
>>from teh comments of teh driver.
>
> I bet the police would see it more as threatening
> behavior, though. I agree with you; using a car in this
> manner is akin to murderous.

Not much to add to previous comments, but don't let them fob
you off saying they can do nothing. You have enough info to
identify the driver, and the police can 'have a word' at the
very least.

No doubt said taxi driver would be equally aggrieved if you
were keeping a safe 1.2m plus from a row of parked cars, and
thereby prevented him from overtaking. But you should, you
know. Another time you might not be able to miss the idiot.

Colin McKenzie

> How are taxis regulated? A particular company often beeps
> their horn outside my window as late as 3.00 AM, so I have
> an interest. I've got as far as the yellow pages, but
> didn't find anything that looked like a regulatory agency.

Normally the local council. Up here in Manchester some
annoyed person had a merry time reporting the beeping
drivers to the council. It worked for him so will probably
work for you if you can be bothered to get out of bed at 3am
and note down their registration plates.

"Matt G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> A further 20 seconds later, I realised that the same
> vehicle was pulling up behind me and that the driver was
> hurling abuse at me through the open window. Terrified, I
> pulled my bicycle onto the kerb again, in fear that he
> would attempt to run me down, and called 999 on my mobile
> as quickly as possible. He then did a U turn and headed
> south along the Outer Circle. All I can remember about
> what he shouted was one line: "You don't like it much when
> someone tries it on

Doesn't sound unusual for a London Black Cab. I'm surprised
another one did pull up to give him a hand.

I doubt you'll get the police to do anything.