London to Brighton 2004 Ride

MartinM <[email protected]> wrote:

> and if you have a prang with no number don't expect any help from the emergency services en route.

Somehow I can't see a paramedic stepping over you because you haven't got a number on!
--
Marc. Please note the above address is a spam trap, use marcc to reply Printing for clubs of all
types http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk Stickers, banners & clothing, for clubs,teams, magazines

Originally posted by Dave Kahn
- I've got my brakes on but the baby won't stop pedalling.

- I know, but I don't want to waste this EPO jab.

- I'm trying to catch the break so I can tell them.

LMAO.

I've entered the London to Brighton this year for the first time. I haven't had any confirmation yet but my cheque seems to have been cashed.

I was planning on aiming to do it in a leisurely four hours, including generous breaks on route (I'll be dragging my non-cycling sister along with me on her hybrid) but I hadn't factored in the congestion problem - is it really that bad?

davek wrote:

> I've entered the London to Brighton this year for the first time. I haven't had any confirmation
> yet but my cheque seems to have been cashed.
>
> I was planning on aiming to do it in a leisurely four hours, including generous breaks on route
> (I'll be dragging my non-cycling sister along with me on her hybrid) but I hadn't factored in the
> congestion problem - is it really that bad?

Time before last that I did it, and admittedly including a lengthy lunch break, took eight hours.
Riding back, straight up the A23, took four.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

>Time before last that I did it, and admittedly including a lengthy lunch break, took eight hours.

Aiee! That's not a bike ride, that's a gentle stroll.

Has anyone done the Capital to Coast? (Formerly known as the Big H, apparently.) I saw a leaflet about it in Evans the other day - sounds like a lower key version of the London to Brighton, running from Hampton Court to Hove, and a lot less congested - according to their website they had 1800 participants last year. Might give that a go.

Gonzo21 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<UCv%b.14763

> That is what happens on my club 10s, hence perhaps that is what they were expecting, after all I
> thought that was the point of the marshal. And if someone has got the full aero kit to save a
> couple of seonds then they are not going to want to lose all the advantages just because of
> waiting at an intersection.

Have started a new thread on this, but basically marshals are only obliged to point the way.
Obviously most would yell at the rider to avoid a collision with a vehicle if the rider was coming
up on a blind junction, although some riders would probably complain about this as well. I have
marshalled road races where a virtual road block has been set up on the corners, but not sure what
the rules are on this either.

marc wrote:

> MartinM <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > and if you have a prang with no number don't expect any help from the emergency services en
> > route.
>
> Somehow I can't see a paramedic stepping over you because you haven't got a number on!

Perhaps he meant the organiser with his cub's first Aid badge, or whatever amateur provision these
wannabee racers provide these days.

John B

MartinM wrote:

> Have started a new thread on this, but basically marshals are only obliged to point the way.
> Obviously most would yell at the rider to avoid a collision with a vehicle if the rider was coming
> up on a blind junction, although some riders would probably complain about this as well. I have
> marshalled road races where a virtual road block has been set up on the corners, but not sure what
> the rules are on this either.

I wonder if it has something to do with the status of the different events. AIUI a massed start road
race needs explicit police permission and an organiser has to provide a risk assessment and also
full details of all marshalling arrangements.

With a TT the police only have to be informed so many weeks in advance that the event is happenning
and details of marshalling etc is provided for information only. it is then deemed the event has
permission.

John B

marc wrote:

> > whatever amateur provision these wannabee racers provide these days.
> >

> Reading the above and your other comments on TT riders... You really don't like competitive
> riders do you?

That's far too sweeping a generalisation. I really don't like *time trials* being held on *open*
roads especially for younger riders, but it hasn't always been the case.

I thoroughly enjoy cycle racing in all its forms, and regularly attend races. My children also
compete, mainly in circuit racing and they have my full support. I am also a member of a racing club
and have ridden both road and track races and have competed in many time trials myself from 10 to 24
hours, including a number abroad.

So to say I don't like "competitive riders" couldn't be further from the truth.

However, IMO the time has come for a major look at time-trialling on open roads. A sport that allows
12-year olds to race alone on the motorway standard trunk roads is irresponsible and sends all the
wrong messages out about 'cycling'. Thankfully few new riders are moving into TTs as seen by the
increasing proportion of vets that make up the fields.

If riders do take up time-trialling they are rapidly dragged into the PB mindset where shaving
seconds off takes priority over all else. Soon they are chasing courses where traffic volumes are
high, or where the courses are 'engineered' to start at the top of a hill and finish at the bottom,
yet remaining within the out-and-back rules. My own fastest times were on the A2 and the A12 -
anyone who knows them will know about the traffic mix - and yes I had been caught by the obsession
so I know what it was like. I still even have my slotted cranks to save those few extra gramms.

But now I shake my head with disbelief when I see parents introducing their young offspring to such
a system then cheering with 'pride' as they beat last week's time for a 10.

And what is the result of this obsession with times and courses? Six riders were killed in time
trials last year - and in such a minority sport that is terribly wrong. Should we be encouraging
riders to take it up? IMO no.

John B

JohnB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> marc wrote:
> >
> > MartinM <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > and if you have a prang with no number don't expect any help from the emergency services en
> > > route.
> >
> > Somehow I can't see a paramedic stepping over you because you haven't got a number on!

That isn't what I meant, I was referring to the kind people who give up their time to man first aid
posts etc. I also know a LBS owner who gives up his day to mend bikes (and no he doesn't make money
on spares). It's all for charity remember, but only if you register and collect sponsorship ;-)

davek <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<s6J%[email protected]>...
> >Time before last that I did it, and admittedly including a lengthy lunch break, took eight hours.

Not unusual, if you go for it and are lucky with congestion it can be done in less than 3 1/2

> Has anyone done the Capital to Coast? (Formerly known as the Big H, apparently.) I saw a leaflet
> about it in Evans the other day - sounds like a lower key version of the London to Brighton,
> running from Hampton Court to Hove, and a lot less congested - according to their website they had
> 1800 participants last year. Might give that a go.

No but have seen the route, looks superb, completely different to the L2B other good L2B
alternatives (although nothing compares to the sheer size of it) are London to
Oxford/Cambridge/Southend IOW Randonee 2nd May Reigate to Brighton Delta ride