London To Brighton 2005 Sunday June 19th : should I?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by debs, Jan 10, 2005.

  1. debs

    debs Guest

    Hmm!! just checked bhf website for details on the L to B 2005. I'm
    now trying to convince myself whether I should take part. Was the ride
    OK in 2004 given the awkward return travel arrangements?
    Usually a good day out but the cost of taking part in this event (entry
    fee, train tickets etc) seems to increase faster than inflation and my
    paypacket.

    thanks debs

    Tags:

  2. cupra

    cupra Guest

    debs wrote:
    > Hmm!! just checked bhf website for details on the L to B 2005. I'm
    > now trying to convince myself whether I should take part. Was the
    > ride OK in 2004 given the awkward return travel arrangements?
    > Usually a good day out but the cost of taking part in this event
    > (entry fee, train tickets etc) seems to increase faster than
    > inflation and my paypacket.
    >
    > thanks debs

    Get together with a few like minded people and book a minibus (with trailer)
    if you don't fancy the ride back.

  3. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    cupra wrote:
    > debs wrote:
    > > Hmm!! just checked bhf website for details on the L to B 2005.

    I'm
    > > now trying to convince myself whether I should take part. Was the
    > > ride OK in 2004 given the awkward return travel arrangements?
    > > Usually a good day out but the cost of taking part in this event
    > > (entry fee, train tickets etc) seems to increase faster than
    > > inflation and my paypacket.
    > >
    > > thanks debs

    > Get together with a few like minded people and book a minibus (with

    trailer)
    > if you don't fancy the ride back.

    >From what I heard/saw Brighton was bit of a gridlock last year but an

    awful lot of people were going for the trailer/minibus/bike rack
    option, or else getting a friend with a pick up for the bikes and
    getting the train back on foot. I even saw 2 riders with 3 bikes while
    the 3rd rider got the train back to Clapham to collect the car. It's a
    great ride and very addictive, despite all its problems. They could
    charge £30 and still fill it up I imagine.

  4. cupra

    cupra Guest

    MartinM wrote:
    > cupra wrote:
    >> debs wrote:
    >>> Hmm!! just checked bhf website for details on the L to B 2005. I'm
    >>> now trying to convince myself whether I should take part. Was the
    >>> ride OK in 2004 given the awkward return travel arrangements?
    >>> Usually a good day out but the cost of taking part in this event
    >>> (entry fee, train tickets etc) seems to increase faster than
    >>> inflation and my paypacket.
    >>>
    >>> thanks debs

    >> Get together with a few like minded people and book a minibus (with
    >> trailer) if you don't fancy the ride back.

    >> From what I heard/saw Brighton was bit of a gridlock last year but an

    > awful lot of people were going for the trailer/minibus/bike rack
    > option, or else getting a friend with a pick up for the bikes and
    > getting the train back on foot. I even saw 2 riders with 3 bikes while
    > the 3rd rider got the train back to Clapham to collect the car. It's a
    > great ride and very addictive, despite all its problems. They could
    > charge £30 and still fill it up I imagine.

    We booked a Brighton based minibus who managed to avoid most of the
    gridlock - I think we paid about £10-15 each for the journey back.

  5. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    cupra wrote:

    > We booked a Brighton based minibus who managed to avoid most of the
    > gridlock - I think we paid about £10-15 each for the journey back.

    I used to know someone who drove a Routemaster bus down and came back
    filled with bikes on the bottom and riders (and beer) on the top, did a
    roaring trade even before the trains stopped taking bikes.

  6. cupra

    cupra Guest

    MartinM wrote:
    > cupra wrote:
    >

    >> We booked a Brighton based minibus who managed to avoid most of the
    >> gridlock - I think we paid about £10-15 each for the journey back.

    > I used to know someone who drove a Routemaster bus down and came back
    > filled with bikes on the bottom and riders (and beer) on the top, did
    > a roaring trade even before the trains stopped taking bikes.

    There's a few of them going spare now.... and idea forms :)