London To Brighton 2005 Sunday June 19th : should I?

debs

Guest
Hmm!! just checked bhf website for details on the L to B 2005. I'm
now trying to convince myself whether I should take part. Was the ride
OK in 2004 given the awkward return travel arrangements?
Usually a good day out but the cost of taking part in this event (entry
fee, train tickets etc) seems to increase faster than inflation and my
paypacket.

thanks debs

debs wrote:
> Hmm!! just checked bhf website for details on the L to B 2005. I'm
> now trying to convince myself whether I should take part. Was the
> ride OK in 2004 given the awkward return travel arrangements?
> Usually a good day out but the cost of taking part in this event
> (entry fee, train tickets etc) seems to increase faster than
> inflation and my paypacket.
>
> thanks debs

Get together with a few like minded people and book a minibus (with trailer)
if you don't fancy the ride back.

cupra wrote:
> debs wrote:
> > Hmm!! just checked bhf website for details on the L to B 2005.

I'm
> > now trying to convince myself whether I should take part. Was the
> > ride OK in 2004 given the awkward return travel arrangements?
> > Usually a good day out but the cost of taking part in this event
> > (entry fee, train tickets etc) seems to increase faster than
> > inflation and my paypacket.
> >
> > thanks debs

> Get together with a few like minded people and book a minibus (with

trailer)
> if you don't fancy the ride back.

>From what I heard/saw Brighton was bit of a gridlock last year but an

awful lot of people were going for the trailer/minibus/bike rack
option, or else getting a friend with a pick up for the bikes and
getting the train back on foot. I even saw 2 riders with 3 bikes while
the 3rd rider got the train back to Clapham to collect the car. It's a
great ride and very addictive, despite all its problems. They could
charge £30 and still fill it up I imagine.

MartinM wrote:
> cupra wrote:
>> debs wrote:
>>> Hmm!! just checked bhf website for details on the L to B 2005. I'm
>>> now trying to convince myself whether I should take part. Was the
>>> ride OK in 2004 given the awkward return travel arrangements?
>>> Usually a good day out but the cost of taking part in this event
>>> (entry fee, train tickets etc) seems to increase faster than
>>> inflation and my paypacket.
>>>
>>> thanks debs

>> Get together with a few like minded people and book a minibus (with
>> trailer) if you don't fancy the ride back.

>> From what I heard/saw Brighton was bit of a gridlock last year but an

> awful lot of people were going for the trailer/minibus/bike rack
> option, or else getting a friend with a pick up for the bikes and
> getting the train back on foot. I even saw 2 riders with 3 bikes while
> the 3rd rider got the train back to Clapham to collect the car. It's a
> great ride and very addictive, despite all its problems. They could
> charge £30 and still fill it up I imagine.

We booked a Brighton based minibus who managed to avoid most of the
gridlock - I think we paid about £10-15 each for the journey back.

cupra wrote:

> We booked a Brighton based minibus who managed to avoid most of the
> gridlock - I think we paid about £10-15 each for the journey back.

I used to know someone who drove a Routemaster bus down and came back
filled with bikes on the bottom and riders (and beer) on the top, did a
roaring trade even before the trains stopped taking bikes.

MartinM wrote:
> cupra wrote:
>

>> We booked a Brighton based minibus who managed to avoid most of the
>> gridlock - I think we paid about £10-15 each for the journey back.

> I used to know someone who drove a Routemaster bus down and came back
> filled with bikes on the bottom and riders (and beer) on the top, did
> a roaring trade even before the trains stopped taking bikes.

There's a few of them going spare now.... and idea forms :)