London to Brighton 2005

Ianmel

New Member
Jan 23, 2004
Did anyone use the BHF lorry/coach service back to London from Brighton after the London to Brighton ride this year?

Was it a frequent service or did they only leave at a certain time of the day? Thinking of using it next year and then using SWT from London to get back to Portsmouth.

One things for sure i won't be attempting to go back to Pompey from Brighton by train again!

Thanks for any advise
Ian

Ianmel wrote:
> Did anyone use the BHF lorry/coach service back to London from

Brighton
> after the London to Brighton ride this year?
>
> Was it a frequent service or did they only leave at a certain time of
> the day? Thinking of using it next year and then using SWT from

London
> to get back to Portsmouth.
>
> One things for sure i won't be attempting to go back to Pompey from
> Brighton by train again!

by the time you do that you could ride, and probably walk, to Pompey!
There is never a problem using a train that does not originate from
Brighton AFAIK; use the Portsmouth service via Arundel. Oh and there
will still be old trains next year.

"Ianmel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Did anyone use the BHF lorry/coach service back to London from Brighton
> after the London to Brighton ride this year?
>
> Was it a frequent service or did they only leave at a certain time of
> the day? Thinking of using it next year and then using SWT from London
> to get back to Portsmouth.
>
> One things for sure i won't be attempting to go back to Pompey from
> Brighton by train again!
>
> Thanks for any advise
> Ian
>

> --
> Ianmel

As Martin says, cycle a few miles West and just get a train direct. I did
read that they were preventing anyone with a bike going into the station
including people with valid bookings for trains not going into london, which
were carrying bikes, were you caught by that?

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Tumbleweed said:
"Ianmel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Did anyone use the BHF lorry/coach service back to London from Brighton
> after the London to Brighton ride this year?
>
> Was it a frequent service or did they only leave at a certain time of
> the day? Thinking of using it next year and then using SWT from London
> to get back to Portsmouth.
>
> One things for sure i won't be attempting to go back to Pompey from
> Brighton by train again!
>
> Thanks for any advise
> Ian
>

> --
> Ianmel

As Martin says, cycle a few miles West and just get a train direct. I did
read that they were preventing anyone with a bike going into the station
including people with valid bookings for trains not going into london, which
were carrying bikes, were you caught by that?

--
Tumbleweed

Trouble is they were banning bikes on ALL parts of the Southern region. Yes i did get caught up with it. I had a ticket and bike reservation with Wessex Trains, but the boneheads outside the station wouldn't let me through. It wasn't until i went to see the manager (who was in hiding) that we were let through and onto a train home. It was very stressful and something i don't want to repeat next year.

Trouble is they were banning bikes on ALL parts of the Southern
region.

Yes on paper that is true, although I saw a group of about 15 get on a
train from Victoria to Clapham Jcn(bless!) with no problems. I think
most guards are accommodating; they are always very pleasant when I
take mine into London every morning on a new no-guard's van train. But
if you want to guarantee getting back the lorry might be the ticket.

BTW cycling back along the A23 last year there seemed to be an awful
lot more cars than previous years, so presumably a lot less took the
lorry back than had taken the train in previous years.