London to Brighton Ride - Help please!

Paul Turner

Guest
Hi everyone - I am taking part in the London to Brighton ride for the
first time ever this weekend and I have 2 questions:

1. My girlfriend wasn't able to register in time... is it possible she
can still do the ride anyway? Or are the roads only accessible for
official riders?

2. I need to get from Brighton to Southampton at the end of the day.
What's the best way to do this on train? What is the best station to
cycle to in order to get let on a train?!

Many thanks in advance!

Paul Turner wrote:
> Hi everyone - I am taking part in the London to Brighton ride for the
> first time ever this weekend and I have 2 questions:
>
> 1. My girlfriend wasn't able to register in time... is it possible she
> can still do the ride anyway? Or are the roads only accessible for
> official riders?
>
> 2. I need to get from Brighton to Southampton at the end of the day.
> What's the best way to do this on train? What is the best station to
> cycle to in order to get let on a train?!
>
> Many thanks in advance!

1 The roads are open to all riders, just not the final approach to the
finish at Brighton. They do take entries on the day, but do not
publicise this; just go to the registration tent at Clapham if you want
to be official, it's all extra dosh for the BHF.

2 Southampton has a few SWT services from Brighton via Havant which may
let you on; the official Southern line is no bikes anywhere, you could
try riding to Shoreham and see what they say, you will not get anywhere
near a Southern train at Brighton IMO.

Paul Turner wrote:
> Hi everyone - I am taking part in the London to Brighton ride for the
> first time ever this weekend and I have 2 questions:
>
> 1. My girlfriend wasn't able to register in time... is it possible she
> can still do the ride anyway? Or are the roads only accessible for
> official riders?

Of course she can. The ride is on public roads and there is nothing to
stop her riding with you as a private individual. I think you'll find a
large proportion of the field will be unofficial riders.

> 2. I need to get from Brighton to Southampton at the end of the day.
> What's the best way to do this on train? What is the best station to
> cycle to in order to get let on a train?!

Theoretically you can get a train directly from Brighton to
Southampton. However, they are not carrying any bikes on London bound
trains. I don't know whether they would also refuse to allow you on the
Southampton train. You should check directly with Southern or National
Rail. If you can't get on at Brighton, Worthing might be a possibility.
It's only about 13 miles by the shortest route along the A259, but I'm
not sure how nice a road that is for cycling on. Trains for cyclists
might be problematic that day so I would strongly advise you to get
reservations for the bikes as soon as possible.

Good luck with the ride.

--
Dave...

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 12:13:24 +0100, dkahn400 <[email protected]> wrote:

> Theoretically you can get a train directly from Brighton to
> Southampton. However, they are not carrying any bikes on London bound
> trains. I don't know whether they would also refuse to allow you on the
> Southampton train.

Do they even allow people with bikes into the station on L2B day?

--
jc

dkahn400 wrote:

> Theoretically you can get a train directly from Brighton to
> Southampton. However, they are not carrying any bikes on London bound
> trains.

They have made it very clear with PA announcements and posters that the
whole Southern is no bikes that day, bonkers though it seems. Best
advice is try your luck with SWT