London to Southend

Sam Simpson

Guest
I did the ride yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it - what a pleasant route!
(ok, apart from the last 15 miles which feels like one big gentle incline
with a few "proper hills" thrown in for good measure!).

What's a reasonable time for this ride? (on a racer, not a mountain bike)
I've only started cycling for 3 months (and have done precisely "zero"
cardio for the last 13 or so years!) and completed it in 3:40 for an average
speed of just over 15mph. Better than I expected!

What kind of speed should I be looking for next year?

Cheers,

Sam

says...
> I did the ride yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it - what a pleasant route!
> (ok, apart from the last 15 miles which feels like one big gentle incline
> with a few "proper hills" thrown in for good measure!).
>
> What's a reasonable time for this ride? (on a racer, not a mountain bike)
> I've only started cycling for 3 months (and have done precisely "zero"
> cardio for the last 13 or so years!) and completed it in 3:40 for an average
> speed of just over 15mph. Better than I expected!
>
> What kind of speed should I be looking for next year?
>

> Cheers,
>
> Sam

I went there and back with an average of 18.2 if that's any use to you?

For next year I would look for any improvement..it depends how much time
you want to spend training, how much time you want to give up with the
TV/Wife/Girlfriend/Boyfriend/Computer...delete as appropriate.

--
Mark (MSA)
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling

"MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> says...
> > I did the ride yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it - what a pleasant

route!
> > (ok, apart from the last 15 miles which feels like one big gentle

incline
> > with a few "proper hills" thrown in for good measure!).
> >
> > What's a reasonable time for this ride? (on a racer, not a mountain

bike)
> > I've only started cycling for 3 months (and have done precisely "zero"
> > cardio for the last 13 or so years!) and completed it in 3:40 for an

average
> > speed of just over 15mph. Better than I expected!
> >
> > What kind of speed should I be looking for next year?
> >

> > Cheers,
> >
> > Sam
> >

> I went there and back with an average of 18.2 if that's any use to you?
>
> For next year I would look for any improvement..it depends how much time
> you want to spend training, how much time you want to give up with the
> TV/Wife/Girlfriend/Boyfriend/Computer...delete as appropriate.

Cheers for the reply - that kind of puts 15mph one way in perspective ;)

I currently cycle about 6 hours a week, so I guess I'll see a gradual
improvement for this time next year....

Cheers again,

Sam