Lonely AMerican biker

Red Cloud

Guest
Ride a bike in America is a lonely activity. Just look around the
typical
American city street, you hardly find a biker in street. This means
most Americans do not ride a bike. Go any european city, there are
bikers
everywhere. I've never seen a woman with high hill pumping a bike in
American
street, but I've seen in European street. To ride a bike in European
street
must bring very different feeling and experience than ride in American
street.
you become a lonely ride in street. It is not only lonely, but quite
dangerous.

Red Cloud wrote:
> Ride a bike in America is a lonely activity. Just look around the
> typical
> American city street, you hardly find a biker in street. This means
> most Americans do not ride a bike. Go any european city, there are
> bikers
> everywhere. I've never seen a woman with high hill pumping a bike in
> American
> street, but I've seen in European street. To ride a bike in European
> street
> must bring very different feeling and experience than ride in American
> street.
> you become a lonely ride in street. It is not only lonely, but quite
> dangerous.

This is not at all my experience, but I live
in a college town in the midwest. Maybe you
should move.

Scott

[email protected] (Red Cloud) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Ride a bike in America is a lonely activity. Just look around the
> typical
> American city street, you hardly find a biker in street. This means
> most Americans do not ride a bike. Go any european city, there are
> bikers
> everywhere. I've never seen a woman with high hill pumping a bike in
> American
> street, but I've seen in European street. To ride a bike in European
> street
> must bring very different feeling and experience than ride in American
> street.
> you become a lonely ride in street. It is not only lonely, but quite
> dangerous.

I've spent some time in Europe and was intrigued by the transportation
means. You don't need cars, besides gas costs a alot higher in Europe.
Trains,buses,trollies,taxis and bicycles, lots of bicycles. Along with
the bicycles, the scenery is awesome, although the streets are kinda
rough in some places. If you are a cyclist, you defintely need to live in
Europe or atleast visit often.

Dan

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:13:06 GMT, Dantana <[email protected]> wrote:

> [email protected] (Red Cloud) wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
>> Ride a bike in America is a lonely activity. Just look around the
>> typical
>> American city street, you hardly find a biker in street. This means
>> most Americans do not ride a bike. Go any european city, there are
>> bikers
>> everywhere. I've never seen a woman with high hill pumping a bike in
>> American
>> street, but I've seen in European street. To ride a bike in European
>> street
>> must bring very different feeling and experience than ride in American
>> street.
>> you become a lonely ride in street. It is not only lonely, but quite
>> dangerous.

> I've spent some time in Europe and was intrigued by the transportation
> means. You don't need cars, besides gas costs a alot higher in Europe.
> Trains,buses,trollies,taxis and bicycles, lots of bicycles. Along with
> the bicycles, the scenery is awesome, although the streets are kinda
> rough in some places. If you are a cyclist, you defintely need to live in
> Europe or atleast visit often.
>
> Dan

But how far do Europeans live from work? I live 27 miles one way from
work, and that's on the freeway. Biking, you'd have to do it in probably
about double that to find a relatively safe route. Furthermore, where I
live the nearest store to buy anything is at least 7 miles away, and
that's going over extremely busy streets with tons of intersections. And
there is no available transportation to take me to or from work or to or
from a store. Finally, although I work in a city, I cannot afford to live
there. A "nice" house where I work is 600,000+. So, I literally had to
move 27 miles away, where there are more affordables houses in the
350,000-400,000 range.

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply

On 10 Aug 2004 23:13:44 -0700, [email protected] (Red Cloud)
wrote:

>It is not only lonely, but quite
>dangerous.

How can you be lonely? There are always those people on the other side
of the little glass window - you know, the ones that watch you and
take notes on your condition.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Scott wrote:
> Red Cloud wrote:
>
>> I've never seen a woman with high hill pumping a bike in
>> American ^^^^-- should be "heel"
>> street,

American women are intelligent enough to change their shoes before
getting on a bike.

-km

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:21:11 GMT, Bob in CT
<[email protected]> wrote:
>there. A "nice" house where I work is 600,000+. So, I literally had to
>move 27 miles away, where there are more affordables houses in the
>350,000-400,000 range.

You call that affordable? Any openings where you work? I can commute
to CT.
--
Rick Onanian

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 17:21:11 -0400, Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:21:11 GMT, Bob in CT
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> there. A "nice" house where I work is 600,000+. So, I literally had to
>> move 27 miles away, where there are more affordables houses in the
>> 350,000-400,000 range.

> You call that affordable? Any openings where you work? I can commute
> to CT.
> --
> Rick Onanian

"Nice" in Silicon Valley is more like about $900,000. $600,000 is the
ghetto relatively speaking. A million or more is actually very
common in that area, which is why I only work there and live 150
miles away. Commuting even 27 miles is about 2 hours each way if
you work the day shift like most people. Traffic is insane.
Shopping is great, but that is about all. I have had 1 hour lunches
where 45 minutes was stuck in traffic going to meet my friends from
another company.
Bill Baka

"Red Cloud" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ride a bike in America is a lonely activity. Just look around the
> typical
> American city street, you hardly find a biker in street. This means
> most Americans do not ride a bike. Go any european city, there are
> bikers
> everywhere. I've never seen a woman with high hill pumping a bike in
> American
> street, but I've seen in European street. To ride a bike in European
> street
> must bring very different feeling and experience than ride in American
> street.
> you become a lonely ride in street. It is not only lonely, but quite
> dangerous.

Not a single point you just made is accurate. Not even close.

"Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> "Nice" in Silicon Valley is more like about $900,000. $600,000 is the
> ghetto relatively speaking. A million or more is actually very
> common in that area, which is why I only work there and live 150
> miles away. Commuting even 27 miles is about 2 hours each way if
> you work the day shift like most people. Traffic is insane.
> Shopping is great, but that is about all. I have had 1 hour lunches
> where 45 minutes was stuck in traffic going to meet my friends from
> another company.

I am glad that I live in Kansas City where housing a lot more
affordable. I can't imagine having to pay that much for a
decent house. The salaries aren't high enough to make up
all of the difference.

"Curtis L. Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 10 Aug 2004 23:13:44 -0700, [email protected] (Red Cloud)
> wrote:
>
> >It is not only lonely, but quite
> >dangerous.

> How can you be lonely? There are always those people on the other side
> of the little glass window - you know, the ones that watch you and
> take notes on your condition.

The problem is that he keeps doing the same thing, over and over.
After awhile nobody even bothers to watch.

"Mark Jones" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Red Cloud" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Ride a bike in America is a lonely activity. Just look around the
>> typical
>> American city street, you hardly find a biker in street. This means
>> most Americans do not ride a bike. Go any european city, there are
>> bikers
>> everywhere. I've never seen a woman with high hill pumping a bike in
>> American
>> street, but I've seen in European street. To ride a bike in European
>> street
>> must bring very different feeling and experience than ride in American
>> street.
>> you become a lonely ride in street. It is not only lonely, but quite
>> dangerous.

>Not a single point you just made is accurate. Not even close.

Making it an almost perfect troll, at least in the inaccuracy column.
He gets significant points off for lack of imagination, although the
mental image I got reading about the "woman with high hill pumping a
bike" was odd enough for a couple sympathy points.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

"Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote

> Making it an almost perfect troll, at least in the inaccuracy column.
> He gets significant points off for lack of imagination, although the
> mental image I got reading about the "woman with high hill pumping a
> bike" was odd enough for a couple sympathy points.

Makes you wonder what his first language is. Certainly not anything on this
planet.

Pete

"Pete" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote
>>
>> Making it an almost perfect troll, at least in the inaccuracy column.
>> He gets significant points off for lack of imagination, although the
>> mental image I got reading about the "woman with high hill pumping a
>> bike" was odd enough for a couple sympathy points.

>Makes you wonder what his first language is. Certainly not anything on this
>planet.

My guess - Uranus... no particular reason of course.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

"Mark Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Red Cloud" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Ride a bike in America is a lonely activity. Just look around the
> > typical
> > American city street, you hardly find a biker in street. This means
> > most Americans do not ride a bike. Go any european city, there are
> > bikers
> > everywhere. I've never seen a woman with high hill pumping a bike in
> > American
> > street, but I've seen in European street. To ride a bike in European
> > street
> > must bring very different feeling and experience than ride in American
> > street.
> > you become a lonely ride in street. It is not only lonely, but quite
> > dangerous.

> Not a single point you just made is accurate. Not even close.

You don't believe riding a bike in any typical AMerican street where
full of car and motocycle is not lonely? You don't even believe it is not
dangerous to pump a bike in big street among a car and all kind of motrr
passing at you?

"Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote
> >
> > Making it an almost perfect troll, at least in the inaccuracy column.
> > He gets significant points off for lack of imagination, although the
> > mental image I got reading about the "woman with high hill pumping a
> > bike" was odd enough for a couple sympathy points.
> >

> Makes you wonder what his first language is. Certainly not anything on this
> planet.
>
> Pete

What do you mean by that?

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 15:02:55 -0700, Bill Baka <[email protected]>
wrote:
>On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 17:21:11 -0400, Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:
>> You call that affordable? Any openings where you work? I can commute
>> to CT.

>"Nice" in Silicon Valley is more like about $900,000. $600,000 is the

Wasn't it just a couple years ago that 900,000 was a year's rent for
a closet-sized apartment there?

>you work the day shift like most people. Traffic is insane.

That's what I tell myself when I'm stuck in traffic here. I think
"Well, if I was in [Silicon Valley|random other dense population] it
would be much worse!"

>Shopping is great, but that is about all. I have had 1 hour lunches

How about bike shopping? Good LBS there?
--
Rick Onanian

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 02:23:46 GMT, "Pete" <[email protected]> wrote:
>Makes you wonder what his first language is. Certainly not anything on this
>planet.

Gah! He's a space alien too!
--
Rick Onanian

Red Cloud wrote:

> You don't believe riding a bike in any typical AMerican street where
> full of car and motocycle is not lonely? You don't even believe it is not
> dangerous to pump a bike in big street among a car and all kind of motrr
> passing at you?

I not believe pumping bike in typical American street lonely. Plenty car
and motrcycl keep me company. Last concern lonely. Mostly worried die.

"Red Cloud" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> You don't believe riding a bike in any typical AMerican street where
> full of car and motocycle is not lonely?

No. I see plenty of other bike riders.

> You don't even believe it is not
> dangerous to pump a bike in big street among a car and all kind of motrr
> passing at you?

No. There are very few incidents of bike riders being injured by
cars or trucks around here.