lonely planet cycling australia

Robert D France

Guest
just looking round amazon, found a book, "lonely planet
cycling australia", it doesnt have any reviews or anything
so was wondering if anyone has had a look at it in a real
bookshop or if anyone has a copy, whats it like? the
synopsis mentions a 30 day eastcoast ride guide, wondering
what the route of this is, and how far you can get in
australia in 30 days.

im not going there or anything, but its a nice dream
for me to maintain, during my next 2 and a half years
nurse training.

"Robert D France" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> just looking round amazon, found a book, "lonely
> planet cycling
australia",
> it doesnt have any reviews or anything so was wondering if
> anyone has had
> look at it in a real bookshop or if anyone has a copy,
> whats it like? the synopsis mentions a 30 day eastcoast
> ride guide, wondering what the route
of
> this is, and how far you can get in australia in 30 days.
>
> im not going there or anything, but its a nice dream for
> me to maintain, during my next 2 and a half years nurse
> training.

I have a copy - seems good (I can only compare with
experience of using LP France) - we're planning to go to Oz
at the end of the year to stay with some friends and had a
vague notion of doing a bit of cycling, hence buying the Oz
LP (although I got it for 2 quid on ebay)

RG

RG wrote:
> "Robert D France" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:5Kc9c.6104$u27.5081@news-
> binary.blueyonder.co.uk...
>> just looking round amazon, found a book, "lonely planet
>> cycling australia", it doesnt have any reviews or
>> anything so was wondering if anyone has had a look at it
>> in a real bookshop or if anyone has a copy, whats it
>> like? the synopsis mentions a 30 day eastcoast ride
>> guide, wondering what the route of this is, and how far
>> you can get in australia in 30 days.
>>
>> im not going there or anything, but its a nice dream for
>> me to maintain, during my next 2 and a half years nurse
>> training.
>>

> I have a copy - seems good (I can only compare with
> experience of using LP France) - we're planning to go to
> Oz at the end of the year to stay with some friends and
> had a vague notion of doing a bit of cycling, hence buying
> the Oz LP (although I got it for 2 quid on ebay)
>
> RG

I cycled around Tasmania, excellent - well recommended. I
didn't do much cycling in the rest of Aus. though as I was
jaded after crosssing the USA, NZ and it was too flaming hot
most of the time.

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 10:31:28 +0000, Robert D France wrote:

> just looking round amazon, found a book, "lonely planet
> cycling australia", it doesnt have any reviews or anything
> so was wondering if anyone has had a look at it in a real
> bookshop or if anyone has a copy, whats it like? the
> synopsis mentions a 30 day eastcoast ride guide, wondering
> what the route of this is,

We've got it, and the France one. IMHO some of the rides in
it are a bit heavy-going if you're touring with full
camping gear and a trailer full of kids. I haven't looked
at it for 6 months, but I have this nagging thought that
also some of the suggested routes would be a little heavy
on the car traffic... There was a nice one out of
Gloucester (NSW) though.

I quite liked the background information in the LP France
one, but we found the routing information to be too precise,
and we didn't want to be on such a fixed path.

> and how far you can get in australia in 30 days.

How fast do you ride ;)

It's nice this time of year, the heat of summer has finally
passed (was a bit hot yesterday though)

cheers, -kt