Lonely Planet Touring books

dfinnecy

Mar 15, 2004
Hi Y'all,

So I am going to France in a few weeks for a quick holiday. It will only be a week long and I have bought the Lonely Planet Cycling France book. I have done a ride out of the Cycling UK book and it was OK. I was wondering if anyone else has done some of these rides and what you thought of them compared to self planned routes or routes from other sources.

happy touring.

-darren

dfinnecy said:
Hi Y'all,

So I am going to France in a few weeks for a quick holiday. It will only be a week long and I have bought the Lonely Planet Cycling France book. I have done a ride out of the Cycling UK book and it was OK. I was wondering if anyone else has done some of these rides and what you thought of them compared to self planned routes or routes from other sources.

happy touring.

-darren

Hi Darren,

A week is not a long time!

My wife and I just returned from 6 weeks touring in france. We used the book on about 80% of the journey and had few problems. We started from Lyon and finished in Bordeaux and in between we went through the Vercors to the Alps where we did the High cols tour over 2 days (then Alpe d'Huez of course). After that we made our way down to Provence and eventually to Avignon. From there we did the "Remote Cevennes", the Languedoc and "Raid Pyreneen" before riding up to Bordeaux. I wish I was still touring.... Anyway, the highlights were the Alps & Pyrenees, though it would have been good to have spent more time in provence as well. Generally thoughwhat the book described was what we got.

cheers

Alan

Hi Alan,
Thanks so much for the reply. I know a week isn't long, someday I'll get everything arranged and get out for a really long tour. Until then I'll take what I can get. ;-)
I am planning on doing the Languedoc ride, I chose it mostly because the transport will be easy and it is a good length for the time I have. I really wanted to do the Raid Pyreneen but couldn't fit it in with vacation time and available transport.

On the Languedoc portion did you camp most of the time? If so what do campsites run per night usually?

Ahh, someday i'll find six weeks, until that I'll keep reading travelogues while I should be working and skipping out for a long weekend or a week here and there.
-darren

dfinnecy said:
Hi Y'all,

happy touring.

-darren
We've used Loney Planet for hiking trips here in the states. They proved to be very helpful and insightful. They had alot of suggestins for less well travalled places and side trips that the others didnt have and I thought their lodging entries were more accurate. Any place I go I'll definitely pick up lonely planet books first

dfinnecy said:
Hi Y'all,

happy touring.

-darren
We did the Loire valley route from the LP book, plus some of our own stuff on either side of those 5 days. The LP books are great for background and when you're new to cycle-touring, but eventually you'll just get a map and do your own thing.

We used the LP Cycling Italy book to help plan our recent Italy tour, but ended up only doing 3 days of 18 from the book, and the rest used local maps.

dfinnecy said:
Hi Alan,
Thanks so much for the reply. I know a week isn't long, someday I'll get everything arranged and get out for a really long tour. Until then I'll take what I can get. ;-)
I am planning on doing the Languedoc ride, I chose it mostly because the transport will be easy and it is a good length for the time I have. I really wanted to do the Raid Pyreneen but couldn't fit it in with vacation time and available transport.

On the Languedoc portion did you camp most of the time? If so what do campsites run per night usually?

Ahh, someday i'll find six weeks, until that I'll keep reading travelogues while I should be working and skipping out for a long weekend or a week here and there.
-darren

Darren,

Yes we did camp every night except one in that region. We stayed indoors at Mazamet due to some serious rain. The prices varied. Paid 17 euro for the two of us at Carcassone which was a record until we got to the Atlantic coast. Prices can normally vary from about 8 euro to 12 euro for two. In some places it would be 60% or so for one, some touristy places charge the same for one or for two...

Hope this helps

Alan