Long Cage Campag

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Walter Mitty, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. Walter Mitty

    Walter Mitty Guest

    Which camag rear derailleur has the largest rear sprocket capacity?

    Tags:

  2. Cipher

    Cipher New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2002
    The large cage with a min. sprocket capacity of 12, and max. sprocket capacity of 29 cap. with a 39 max. front diff. of 23. Upper to lower pulley-axle distance center to center size is 89 mm.

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Walter Mitty wrote:
    > Which camag rear derailleur has the largest rear sprocket capacity?

    New medium and long cage models are rated at 28 to 29T. Specs are at www.campagnolo.com/psearch.php

    I use a 30T with a medium Xenon. It helps to keep the chain as short as possible, within reason.

    ~PB

  4. Walter Mitty

    Walter Mitty Guest

    "Pete Biggs" <ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> brightened my day with his
    incisive wit when in news:[email protected] he
    conjectured that:

    > Walter Mitty wrote:
    >> Which camag rear derailleur has the largest rear sprocket capacity?
    >
    > New medium and long cage models are rated at 28 to 29T. Specs are at
    > www.campagnolo.com/psearch.php
    >
    > I use a 30T with a medium Xenon. It helps to keep the chain as short as possible, within reason.
    >
    > ~PB

    Aargh. I think I've been thrown some bad advice.

    I purchased campag racting t front & rear : I'M running a 28 tooth rear and a (can't remember off
    hand) on front.

    Any ideas on how to get a lowest granny gear using these mechs? I find my lowest gear insufficient
    for my aging legs and heavy loads.

  5. In article <[email protected]>,
    Walter Mitty <[email protected]> wrote:
    >"Pete Biggs" <ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> brightened my day with his incisive wit when in
    >news:[email protected] he conjectured that:
    >
    >> Walter Mitty wrote:
    >>> Which camag rear derailleur has the largest rear sprocket capacity?
    >>
    >> New medium and long cage models are rated at 28 to 29T. Specs are at
    >> www.campagnolo.com/psearch.php
    >>
    >> I use a 30T with a medium Xenon. It helps to keep the chain as short as possible, within reason.
    >>
    >> ~PB
    >
    >Aargh. I think I've been thrown some bad advice.
    >
    >I purchased campag racting t front & rear : I'M running a 28 tooth rear and a (can't remember off
    >hand) on front.
    >
    >Any ideas on how to get a lowest granny gear using these mechs? I find my lowest gear insufficient
    >for my aging legs and heavy loads.

    Well if you have a 74mm granny ring, you can go down as low as a 24t cog. But I expect it will not
    shift perfectly in front if you use a 24. It would probably improve if you also install a smaller
    large chainring (eg, 50t) and shorten the chain as much as possible.

  6. Walter-<< Which camag rear derailleur has the largest rear sprocket capacity?
    >><BR><BR>

    The long cage one, but 'capacity' is misleading. A long cage is just someplace to put the
    extra chain for a safe big/big combo and no droopy or noisy chain stuff when in small ring and
    small-ish cogs.

    What I mean is, if the combo is correct, rings to cogs, a shorter cage may suffice, with bigger than
    'advertised' cogs. Like a shimano road long cage(27t advert) and 30+ teeth with a micro front crank,
    like a 50/34-

  7. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 23:32:32 +0100, Walter Mitty
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Which camag rear derailleur has the largest rear sprocket capacity?

    Ones that are made for the triple, 3x10. Record, Chours, Centaur, and I'd guess Veloce as well. They
    have a rated capacity enough for
    53/42/30 x 13/29 or 39t. In practice, I've shifted 52/42/28 x 12/32 and know of other that do 12/34.
    Those are tandem bicycles.

    I have a 2004 brand new in box Record triple for $175 if you are interested.

  8. I have 2002/2003 9 speed Centaur triple crankset, triple front derailleur, and long cage rear
    derailleur. I am pretty sure your Racing Triple rear derailleur is long cage, not medium cage. But
    there is not a whole lot of capacity difference between them anyway.

    I use a 13-28 rear 9 speed cassette. 13-14-15-16-17-19-21-23-28. With the 52-42-30 triple, the long
    cage rear deraileur takes up all the chain in the 13 cog. With a 28 tooth inner ring, there is a
    little bit of chain sag in the 13 tooth. Not a problem because you would never ever use this gear.
    With a 24 tooth inner ring, only the four largest cogs in the back are usable. Otherwise there is
    way too much chain sag to be comfortable with. And even the fourth largest cog is close to having
    too much chain sag. Four usable gears on the back is at my limit for acceptable usable gears when in
    the inner chainring.

    I think a 26 tooth inner ring is about the smallest you can go with a triple having a 52 tooth large
    chain ring and 28 tooth large rear cog. And still have enough usable gears in back. To use a 24
    tooth inner chainring, you would need to reduce the size of your large chain ring so you could
    shorten your chain and thus allow the long cage rear derailleur to take up more slack. Campagnolo
    used to offer triples with 50 tooth outer chainrings so they are available. A 50-42-24 or 50-40-24
    or 48-40-24 might be better overall gearing for you. I have a 48x14 as the top gear on my loaded
    touring bike and I've never wished for a taller gear. I also have a 20x34 as my lowest gear on this
    bike and have never needed lower either.

    Walter Mitty <[email protected]k> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Aargh. I think I've been thrown some bad advice.
    >
    > I purchased campag racting t front & rear : I'M running a 28 tooth rear and a (can't remember off
    > hand) on front.
    >
    > Any ideas on how to get a lowest granny gear using these mechs? I find my lowest gear insufficient
    > for my aging legs and heavy loads.

  9. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Walter Mitty wrote:
    >>> Which camag rear derailleur has the largest rear sprocket capacity?
    >>
    >> New medium and long cage models are rated at 28 to 29T. Specs are at
    >> www.campagnolo.com/psearch.php
    >>
    >> I use a 30T with a medium Xenon. It helps to keep the chain as short as possible, within reason.
    >
    > Aargh. I think I've been thrown some bad advice.

    Not necessarily. I should have added that some older models have equally large max sprocket ratings.

    > I purchased campag racting t front & rear : I'M running a 28 tooth rear and a (can't remember off
    > hand) on front.

    I have a 2001 9sp Racing T rear mech on one bike (with Daytona triple front). Official max sprocket
    is 29T, capacity is 35T, max front diff is 22T. However, other models do have a slightly larger
    capacity of 37T. Capacities can be pushed - although of course it helps to have more in the first
    place. With this mech, I have used 24/39/52 with 13-27. The mech was fine except for the small-small
    combinations (which aren't good or important anyway).

    > Any ideas on how to get a lowest granny gear using these mechs? I find my lowest gear insufficient
    > for my aging legs and heavy loads.

    I suggest changing the inner chainring to 26T if you have a larger one on there. 24T is possible but
    more trouble.

    Marchisio make 30T compatible sprockets if you eventually need the ultimate bottom rear gear that
    can be used on a Campag hub. I suspect one would work for you although there may be a bit of slight
    rubbing from the jockey wheel. See: http://anysystem.de

    ~PB

  10. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Russell Seaton wrote:
    > I have 2002/2003 9 speed Centaur triple crankset, triple front derailleur, and long cage rear
    > derailleur. I am pretty sure your Racing Triple rear derailleur is long cage, not medium cage.

    The Racing T used to be described as a long cage or "triple" but, judging by new pulley wheel centre
    to centre specifications, I believe it's the same length as the new medium cage models. The new
    "long" cages are extra long! In fact unnecessarily long for all but the most extreme (non standard)
    gears, IMO.

    ~PB

  11. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Walter Mitty <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Which camag rear derailleur has the largest rear sprocket capacity?

    Probably the Gran Turissimo. However, they are quite hard to find and weigh about 12 pounds.

  12. cycleboy

    cycleboy Guest

    If you go to the Campy USA website and check the FAQ's there is a formula for determining the capacity of each of the rear derailleurs. Need to know range of chainrings (diff between largest and smallest) and range of cassette. This ensures good shifting. You might get away with a little more but reliable shifting may suffer.

    Derailleur capacity = (large chainring-small chainring) +
    (large cog - small cog)

    Specs for derailleur specify capacity and chainring difference.

    For example:

    Centaur 10s has capacity of 30 and diff of 14 so you could
    use 53/39 and 13/29 cassette.

    Hope this helps

  13. Just measured my Centaur rear derailluer and it is the medium length. A little under 3 inches
    between pulley bolts. So if the medium cage rear derailleur will handle a 28 and most likely a 26
    tooth inner ring with a 52 outer chainring and 13-28 rear cassette, then the long cage rear
    derailleur can easily handle a 26 inner ring and maybe a 24 inner ring without much trouble.

    Nashbar sells 24, 26, and 28 tooth inner chainrings with 74mm bcd for $3-5 each quite often. You can
    easily buy the complete set and see which one works best. In the UK there might be similar low cost
    mail order places with cheap inner chainrings.

    news:<[email protected]>...