Long Cage Campag

Walter Mitty

Guest
Which camag rear derailleur has the largest rear sprocket capacity?

Originally posted by Walter Mitty
Which camag rear derailleur has the largest rear sprocket capacity?

The large cage with a min. sprocket capacity of 12, and max. sprocket capacity of 29 cap. with a 39 max. front diff. of 23. Upper to lower pulley-axle distance center to center size is 89 mm.

Walter Mitty wrote:
> Which camag rear derailleur has the largest rear sprocket capacity?

New medium and long cage models are rated at 28 to 29T. Specs are at www.campagnolo.com/psearch.php

I use a 30T with a medium Xenon. It helps to keep the chain as short as possible, within reason.

~PB

"Pete Biggs" <ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> brightened my day with his
incisive wit when in news:[email protected] he
conjectured that:

> Walter Mitty wrote:
>> Which camag rear derailleur has the largest rear sprocket capacity?
>
> New medium and long cage models are rated at 28 to 29T. Specs are at
> www.campagnolo.com/psearch.php
>
> I use a 30T with a medium Xenon. It helps to keep the chain as short as possible, within reason.
>
> ~PB

Aargh. I think I've been thrown some bad advice.

I purchased campag racting t front & rear : I'M running a 28 tooth rear and a (can't remember off
hand) on front.

Any ideas on how to get a lowest granny gear using these mechs? I find my lowest gear insufficient
for my aging legs and heavy loads.

In article <[email protected]>,
Walter Mitty <[email protected]> wrote:
>"Pete Biggs" <ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> brightened my day with his incisive wit when in
>news:[email protected] he conjectured that:
>
>> Walter Mitty wrote:
>>> Which camag rear derailleur has the largest rear sprocket capacity?
>>
>> New medium and long cage models are rated at 28 to 29T. Specs are at
>> www.campagnolo.com/psearch.php
>>
>> I use a 30T with a medium Xenon. It helps to keep the chain as short as possible, within reason.
>>
>> ~PB
>
>Aargh. I think I've been thrown some bad advice.
>
>I purchased campag racting t front & rear : I'M running a 28 tooth rear and a (can't remember off
>hand) on front.
>
>Any ideas on how to get a lowest granny gear using these mechs? I find my lowest gear insufficient
>for my aging legs and heavy loads.

Well if you have a 74mm granny ring, you can go down as low as a 24t cog. But I expect it will not
shift perfectly in front if you use a 24. It would probably improve if you also install a smaller
large chainring (eg, 50t) and shorten the chain as much as possible.

Walter-<< Which camag rear derailleur has the largest rear sprocket capacity?
>><BR><BR>

The long cage one, but 'capacity' is misleading. A long cage is just someplace to put the
extra chain for a safe big/big combo and no droopy or noisy chain stuff when in small ring and
small-ish cogs.

What I mean is, if the combo is correct, rings to cogs, a shorter cage may suffice, with bigger than
'advertised' cogs. Like a shimano road long cage(27t advert) and 30+ teeth with a micro front crank,
like a 50/34-

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 23:32:32 +0100, Walter Mitty
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Which camag rear derailleur has the largest rear sprocket capacity?

Ones that are made for the triple, 3x10. Record, Chours, Centaur, and I'd guess Veloce as well. They
have a rated capacity enough for
53/42/30 x 13/29 or 39t. In practice, I've shifted 52/42/28 x 12/32 and know of other that do 12/34.
Those are tandem bicycles.

I have a 2004 brand new in box Record triple for $175 if you are interested.

I have 2002/2003 9 speed Centaur triple crankset, triple front derailleur, and long cage rear
derailleur. I am pretty sure your Racing Triple rear derailleur is long cage, not medium cage. But
there is not a whole lot of capacity difference between them anyway.

I use a 13-28 rear 9 speed cassette. 13-14-15-16-17-19-21-23-28. With the 52-42-30 triple, the long
cage rear deraileur takes up all the chain in the 13 cog. With a 28 tooth inner ring, there is a
little bit of chain sag in the 13 tooth. Not a problem because you would never ever use this gear.
With a 24 tooth inner ring, only the four largest cogs in the back are usable. Otherwise there is
way too much chain sag to be comfortable with. And even the fourth largest cog is close to having
too much chain sag. Four usable gears on the back is at my limit for acceptable usable gears when in
the inner chainring.

I think a 26 tooth inner ring is about the smallest you can go with a triple having a 52 tooth large
chain ring and 28 tooth large rear cog. And still have enough usable gears in back. To use a 24
tooth inner chainring, you would need to reduce the size of your large chain ring so you could
shorten your chain and thus allow the long cage rear derailleur to take up more slack. Campagnolo
used to offer triples with 50 tooth outer chainrings so they are available. A 50-42-24 or 50-40-24
or 48-40-24 might be better overall gearing for you. I have a 48x14 as the top gear on my loaded
touring bike and I've never wished for a taller gear. I also have a 20x34 as my lowest gear on this
bike and have never needed lower either.

news:<[email protected]>...

Walter Mitty wrote:
>>> Which camag rear derailleur has the largest rear sprocket capacity?
>>
>> New medium and long cage models are rated at 28 to 29T. Specs are at
>> www.campagnolo.com/psearch.php
>>
>> I use a 30T with a medium Xenon. It helps to keep the chain as short as possible, within reason.
>
> Aargh. I think I've been thrown some bad advice.

Not necessarily. I should have added that some older models have equally large max sprocket ratings.

> I purchased campag racting t front & rear : I'M running a 28 tooth rear and a (can't remember off
> hand) on front.

I have a 2001 9sp Racing T rear mech on one bike (with Daytona triple front). Official max sprocket
is 29T, capacity is 35T, max front diff is 22T. However, other models do have a slightly larger
capacity of 37T. Capacities can be pushed - although of course it helps to have more in the first
place. With this mech, I have used 24/39/52 with 13-27. The mech was fine except for the small-small
combinations (which aren't good or important anyway).

> Any ideas on how to get a lowest granny gear using these mechs? I find my lowest gear insufficient
> for my aging legs and heavy loads.

I suggest changing the inner chainring to 26T if you have a larger one on there. 24T is possible but
more trouble.

Marchisio make 30T compatible sprockets if you eventually need the ultimate bottom rear gear that
can be used on a Campag hub. I suspect one would work for you although there may be a bit of slight
rubbing from the jockey wheel. See: http://anysystem.de

~PB

Russell Seaton wrote:
> I have 2002/2003 9 speed Centaur triple crankset, triple front derailleur, and long cage rear
> derailleur. I am pretty sure your Racing Triple rear derailleur is long cage, not medium cage.

The Racing T used to be described as a long cage or "triple" but, judging by new pulley wheel centre
to centre specifications, I believe it's the same length as the new medium cage models. The new
"long" cages are extra long! In fact unnecessarily long for all but the most extreme (non standard)
gears, IMO.

~PB

Originally posted by Walter Mitty
Which camag rear derailleur has the largest rear sprocket capacity?

If you go to the Campy USA website and check the FAQ's there is a formula for determining the capacity of each of the rear derailleurs. Need to know range of chainrings (diff between largest and smallest) and range of cassette. This ensures good shifting. You might get away with a little more but reliable shifting may suffer.

Derailleur capacity = (large chainring-small chainring) +
(large cog - small cog)

Specs for derailleur specify capacity and chainring difference.

For example:

Centaur 10s has capacity of 30 and diff of 14 so you could
use 53/39 and 13/29 cassette.

Hope this helps

Just measured my Centaur rear derailluer and it is the medium length. A little under 3 inches
between pulley bolts. So if the medium cage rear derailleur will handle a 28 and most likely a 26
tooth inner ring with a 52 outer chainring and 13-28 rear cassette, then the long cage rear
derailleur can easily handle a 26 inner ring and maybe a 24 inner ring without much trouble.

Nashbar sells 24, 26, and 28 tooth inner chainrings with 74mm bcd for $3-5 each quite often. You can
easily buy the complete set and see which one works best. In the UK there might be similar low cost
mail order places with cheap inner chainrings.

news:<[email protected]>...