Long Distance Cycling

Rhynotes

Mar 3, 2012
Hi, I'm new here, I was curious about long distance cycling and I figured this was the place to get some insight.

I am a seventeen year old male, I am in pretty good shape and soon I plan to go on a 'voyage', I say voyage because I plan on going for cycling trips of a distance of around 20 miles, now I know to some people this will seem like nothing, but that is a pretty long distance for me. I feel I am very capable of that, after a few maybe 'practice runs' around the neighborhood to kinda get use to riding for that long, or at least work my way up to being able to do so.

I created this thread to get some insight on long distance trips. So, feel free to share any advice, or stories, preparation, things to look out for... things like that.

Well if you are 17 and in pretty good shape, it won't take long before a 20 mile ride will seem short and easy to you. It should only require some training as you try to go faster or are climbing a lot of hills.

You're 17 and are therefore still in that "invincible" stage. Don't think about it - just do it. It won't kill you (well, the ride won't but run a red light and a big truck might...) Have a good breakfast and head out in the morning. Even if you ride at 15 mph you'll be out for less than 90 minutes. The only skills you really need are: -Stay upright. -Be able to fix a puncture out on the road (ie you need a pump and a spare inner tube is preferable to fixing it with a patch kit. Before you know it you'll be knocking out 50 mile rides and you'll be wondering what you were slightly worried about over the 20 mile ride. Have fun - because that's what it's all about. Welcome!

Thank you guys for your replies!

Also, I have another question, what are those little meters that some people have on their bikes called, you know.. the ones that measure their speed, distance, etc.

A bike computer. Some just provide basic speed/ distance while more "advanced" ones also measure your pedalling speed, which is somewhat useful when you're first starting. Cateye make some nice, well priced bike computers that are reliable.

Hey thanks, also, do you know about where I can pick one of these up? A sporting goods store maybe? Or even wal-mart?

@ 17 you should be riding, racing and having fun. If you have big dreams, now is the time to start chasing them.

You can get bike computers and other bike accessories at Walmart, or your local bike shop, or on-line bike stores such as nashbar.com or performancebike.com.

As mentioned above, once you start riding longer distances, you'll be farther from home and need to plan for it. You need to be able to carry water, tools to make minor repairs, a tube patch kit or spare tube (or both), a cell phone if you have one for emergencies, etc.

There's nothing fun about having a 30 mile walk home pushing a bike, so plan ahead and be prepared to fix a flat, or make minor repairs should you need to.

There's a couple of pretty good threads where people list the things they carry on their rides, I'll see if I can find one on a thread search and add it to this post.

Welcome to the forum and have fun as you increase your riding distances. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif

Here's a link to a thread that has some good discussion about the items people carry on their rides. It may seem as though some of us carry a lot of stuff, but keep in mind that those are mostly small items and can be carried in a small under seat wedge pack.

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t/471308/what-do-you-all-carry

Most important things to carry on a bike ride:

1) ID: in case of an accident.

2) money: in case you need food, water or assistance. A credit card and cash.

3) cell phone: so you can call for assistance.

---

You don't need to ride with others but it is always nice to ride where others are riding. If you have problems others may be able to help. The more bicyclists on a road the more motorists expect them.

Originally Posted by Rhynotes .

Hey thanks, also, do you know about where I can pick one of these up? A sporting goods store maybe? Or even wal-mart?

I'm not sure what country you're in but if you're in the US you have plenty of choices (in no particular order):

- your local bike store (often a good place for bike advice and to learn about local club rides etc)

- most sporting goods stores - Sports Chalet, for example, has an impressive selection of general bike gear.

- any big store (walmart/target) that sells bikes will usually have a basic selection of bits. Need an innertube at 1am - the local 24hr walmart is the place to go. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif

- an online bike retailer - like colorado cyclist, bike nashbar, competitive cyclist, mikes bikes...

Originally Posted by An old Guy .

Most important things to carry on a bike ride:

1) ID: in case of an accident.

2) money: in case you need food, water or assistance. A credit card and cash.

3) cell phone: so you can call for assistance.

---
So far in decades of cycling I've needed none of the above, thankfully. I'd put spare tubes and tire levers on the list as "most important general use items" required on a bike.

A copy of your ID and medical ins card (if you have insurance) is very handy if something bad really happens.

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

Snip....... I'd put spare tubes and tire levers on the list as "most important general use items" required on a bike.

+1 Add a pump or Co2 inflater to that and you'd have what I've actually had to use on rides in recent years.

I still carry other stuff just in case, but the tubes/patch kit/levers/pump/inflater are things that I'll probably really have to use.

If you're have a limited budget you don't need a bicycle computer. You do need to be able to do at least flat repairs, which means learn how to fix a flat before you ride more then a mile from home. If your not sure on how to fix a flat have your dad, brother, friend, or You Tube to show you and then practice practice practice till you can do it fairly easily.

I recommend a pump and not a CO2, yes CO2 is fast and giddy to use but you have a limited air supply, with a pump you always have air, no carts to buy or throw away so your long haul costs are less. A sturdy long, lasting true high pressure, easy to pump pump is the Topeak Road Morph, a bit large but works far better and easier then small dinky mini pumps. The Topeak Road Morph cost about $24, and the Road Morph G (G stands for PSI gauge that is built into the pump) will cost about $30 on Amazon.

The other thing you need is tire irons, many will work but some could snap especially in cold weather or using on tight fitting tires, so I recommend steel core irons like either the Soma or the Park TL6, both are steel but covered in plastic to protect your rims.

Patches is a personal thing, I've been using glueless patches for over 18 years and never had one fail, others hate them; but the haters simply did not do the proper preparation. If you decide on trying glueless repost here and ask how BEFORE you buy them.

Then carry a spare tube in it's box to protect the tube from punctures while in the saddle bag.

ID with emergency phone numbers, insurance card if you have one.

The above is the minimum you need to ride 20 miles. Getting a mini tool is a great idea if you know how to do your own repairs in the field, otherwise skip. I recommend the Park MT3 tool, but again it's just an opinion and there are plenty of other good tools. Money is great too, but going 20 miles it's not really necessary. Cell phone? I never carried one for 40 plus years, only started carrying one in the last 5 years on the bike, I don't think it's a necessity but if you have one take it with you but put in a plastic zip lock bag just in case it rains while your riding. I once rode 158 miles from Bakersfield CA to Santa Barbara CA without a cell phone and the areas that I rode in were pretty desolate.

Remember, you don't have to ride 20 miles away from home to ride 20 miles. Riding 10 miles away and back should add up to 20 miles. Or maybe figuring out a couple 5 mile loops might allow you to ride your first few 20 mile rides without ever getting more than an hours walk from home.

There was a time when we all went places and did things and never even thought to take a phone with us. Because there were no mobile phones! [COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]Having a phone with you with a (or group of numbers) in ICE[/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)] [/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]could save your life.[/COLOR] Of course... remember to keep the phone unlocked as well. There is an element of risk with cycling so be careful and have fun. Cycling is a sport you can enjoy in most places around world and for the most part even into old age.

You really don't need to carry any of that "recommended" stuff. I ride often with a good friend and he never carries a pump, tubes, levers, patch kit, or tools. His solution is to depend on me to have it if he needs it.

Reactions: BHappy
Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

So far in decades of cycling I've needed none of the above, thankfully. I'd put spare tubes and tire levers on the list as "most important general use items" required on a bike.

A copy of your ID and medical ins card (if you have insurance) is very handy if something bad really happens.

Regardless. The goal is to get home. Money and a cell phone help.

Originally Posted by AlanG .

You really don't need to carry any of that "recommended" stuff. I ride often with a good friend and he never carries a pump, tubes, levers, patch kit, or tools. His solution is to depend on me to have it if he needs it.

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

I think I've had friends like the one you described my whole life!

If you have an Iphone or any smart phone you can download free cycling computer Apps that are fairly accurate.
Fixing a flat is the number one road side repair by far. You will need the following.
Tire Levers
Spare tube
Patch kit
Tire inflator of your choice.