Long distance for Old Begginers

ffvelazquezh

Aug 12, 2003
I am a 50 years old beginner in the practice of the cycling. With 18 months training I have made important improvements in my technique. I train an average of 50 daily kms from Monday to Friday and 100 kms on Sundays. I am interested in long distance rides, at least of 200 kms. My question is: Can this be possible in spite of my age and of the few months of training that I have?? considering that I am in good shape, how can I train to achieve it??

Congratulations on getting back into cycling!

You're putting in a lot of distance each week; are you riding at a steady pace most the time, or are you doing different sessions on different days, varying the intensity and/or speed?

You say that you've made improvements, (with the distance you're doing I'd be very surprised if you hadn't) but how are you judging these improvements? In addition to an overall improvement in your fitness level, have you achieved body fat reduction? Are you assessing the improvements on a time/distance/effort basis?

Is there a local cycling club that you could join, or do you have a local group ride? If you do one or both of these things you can assess your fitness against that of other riders, and maybe pick up some training pointers while you ride.

What I'd suggest that you consider doing is to contact a licensed cycling coach and having them conduct an assessment of your present state. Once you've done that you should have the coach develop a training program that is customized to your needs. The relatively modest costs involved will be repaid many times by the optimization of your training.

Good luck!

Have you checked out the 'Audax' organisation? They run rides over distances from 60 to 1000+ km.

You should have no problems getting up to 200 km. In training you should try to get up to 150 km at least once in a while, some intensity would help too.

As serottarider suggests, you'd be best getting a coach.