Long Distance Hurts

ABogoni

Apr 5, 2004
I do over 100km on Sunday, half hilly, half flat (I average 168 bpm). I got a problem were I start to suffer in the last 20km, and keep in mind I do it on my MTB with slicks but I plan to get a road bike soon. Has anyone got any long distance tips and will a road bike make a big difference.

Originally posted by ABogoni
I do over 100km on Sunday, half hilly, half flat (I average 168 bpm). I got a problem were I start to suffer in the last 20km, and keep in mind I do it on my MTB with slicks but I plan to get a road bike soon. Has anyone got any long distance tips and will a road bike make a big difference.

Suffer how?

No energy?
no strength?
physical pain?
Could be Hydration in Perth, pretty hot there yes?
Could just be 100km on a MTB REALLY hurts....
Could be a number of things

A road bike that fits you well should make a difference, both in terms of less weight and rolling resistance, as well as a better aero position. I wouldn't be surprised it you average 1-2 mph faster average on a road bike....which is a lot.

Tips: 1) keep doing the weekly 100K ride until you are comfortable with it, and then gradually extend the distance by say 5-10K/ week. Hold back if you start suffering again. 2) Avoid going anaerobic as much as possible, since this intensity really eats into your energy reserves. It's fun to go out fast with the pack on a long ride, but I've found I pay later when I do.

I'm working to extend my endurance also, and it seems some bit of suffering is just a part of the territory. After you've done this ride a half-dozen times, I bet you'll be able to do it without suffering and won't think of it as a long distance.....that's been my experience anyway. Good luck.

The book Long Distance Cycling by Burke and Pavelka is packed with some sound advice for extending to a 100 miles and beyond.

Long Distance Cycling

A road bike that fits you well should make a difference, both in terms of less weight and rolling resistance, as well as a better aero position. I wouldn't be surprised it you average 1-2 mph faster average on a road bike....which is a lot.

Tips: 1) keep doing the weekly 100K ride until you are comfortable with it, and then gradually extend the distance by say 5-10K/ week. Hold back if you start suffering again. 2) Avoid going anaerobic as much as possible, since this intensity really eats into your energy reserves. It's fun to go out fast with the pack on a long ride, but I've found I pay later when I do.

I'm working to extend my endurance also, and it seems some bit of suffering is just a part of the territory. After you've done this ride a half-dozen times, I bet you'll be able to do it without suffering and won't think of it as a long distance.....that's been my experience anyway. Good luck.

The book Long Distance Cycling by Burke and Pavelka is packed with some sound advice for extending to a 100 miles and beyond.

Long Distance Cycling