Long Distance Riding and Saddle Sores

spacefuzz

Jun 11, 2004
I was wondering if anyone does ultramarathon or long distance events that could help me out. I just did a 24 hour road race but had to stop riding after 16 hours due to saddle sores. I was wearing louis garneu bib shorts and have a selle san marco luxe saddle. Of course I used chamois cream.

Was hoping for any advice or equipment that could help me ride longer.

spacefuzz said:
I was wondering if anyone does ultramarathon or long distance events that could help me out. I just did a 24 hour road race but had to stop riding after 16 hours due to saddle sores. I was wearing louis garneu bib shorts and have a selle san marco luxe saddle. Of course I used chamois cream.

Over here ... http://www.bikeforums.net/index.php ... there's a forum member named Machka that does ultra long distance cycling. I'm sure she'd be more than glad to help.

spacefuzz said:

You probably are already doing this, but bring some chamois creme in a small bottle so that you can re-apply every few hours. For a 24 hour race, I'd think I would want to change shorts at some point. Other than that, try out some other bibs and see if they make a difference. Sometimes the stitching or embroidery on saddles is enough to cause problems, do the sores match up to anyhting like that? Good Luck...

I did reaply every few hours, perhaps I didnt use enough. And I did change shorts twice. I guess Ill try to find some other brands, ive heard good things about assos...

I have on several long rides (over 100 miles, but nothing like what you do) worn 2 pairs of shorts, and it seems to insulate me from the saddle very effectively. Might help during an ultra type event.

This worked for me -

When I raced I used to sweat and naturally suffer from saddle sores.
I made sure that I had washed and dried my shorts : but even still the same problem used to persist.
When I sweated, I got saddle sores.

My old coach gave me a solution - it is very very painful but it works.

After you finish a ride and you're sore, wash the infected area thoroughly with soap and water.
Dry the infected area thoroughly.

Then, get a cotton pad and some surgical spirit.
Apply the surgical spirit to the cotton pad and then apply cotton pad to the infected area.
There will be a lot of pain - it will be very painful but the infected area will be cleaned and as it drys, your skin will harden.
You may have to do this a couple of times but it works, believe me (and despite the pain !).

I used this method over 20 years ago : it worked then and I never experienced a saddle sore since despite sweating a lot more and having cycled longer distances.

I switched seats a while back for long distance rides to the "Spongy Wonder"... It took a little getting used to, but it's made my boys much happier.

Basically it works like a T-Bar ski lift... all of your weight sits on a pad below your buttox. There is nothing extending further so there's nothing to rub against and no numbness after a long haul.

http://www.spongywonder.com/

If you do get it, be prepared for some awkward looks from others...

dasnootz said:
I switched seats a while back for long distance rides to the "Spongy Wonder"... It took a little getting used to, but it's made my boys much happier.
Although the concept of that seat is intriguing, it sure looks like you would be sliding forward all the time (and towards that scary looking exposed rail!). Do you find this to be the case and just adjusted for it, or am I wrong?

I had probs with soreness, but found that a slight change in my seat height made a huuuuge difference. I lowered my seat a cm or less on both my bikes and now no soreness.

roadhog said:
Although the concept of that seat is intriguing, it sure looks like you would be sliding forward all the time (and towards that scary looking exposed rail!). Do you find this to be the case and just adjusted for it, or am I wrong?
Yeah I like to see things that challenge the status quo, but in addition to looking like you slide forward, I can't help but notice that the "sit bones" the inventors talk about happen to be the pivot points for those twigs turning your cranks. sitting on my pivot points doesn't seem to be too comfortable to me, especially at longer distances where chafing etc. may occur. This is counter to my own experience that a skinnier seat can be more comfortable because nothing moving is touching it. It is one of those things you need to try first to form an informed opinion I guess.

It took a couple weeks of me tweaking and getting used to it... but I like it now. I haven't had any problems with sliding forward, but I have sat down from climbs and thought I was farther back than I acctually was... meaning that rail clipped me...

I've had a hell of a time with saddle sores this season. I tried a variety of creams, saddles, and shorts. Nothing worked.

I did a little research, however, and found a product called Bag Balm. It was originally invented by a dairy farmer to clear up chafing on cow teats!

Believe me, though, this stuff works. It worked for me within 12 hours of application. It has a consistency like Vaseline, but stronger antiseptic properties. You can purchase it online; however, a good feed store should have some in stock.

I can't endorse it enough.

Catabolic_Jones said:
I've had a hell of a time with saddle sores this season. I tried a variety of creams, saddles, and shorts. Nothing worked.

I did a little research, however, and found a product called Bag Balm. It was originally invented by a dairy farmer to clear up chafing on cow teats!

Believe me, though, this stuff works. It worked for me within 12 hours of application. It has a consistency like Vaseline, but stronger antiseptic properties. You can purchase it online; however, a good feed store should have some in stock.

Thanks for the endorsement.

I have been having problems myself on every ride since the weather changed to hot days.

I think I will look for that product. For the moment I have using an antibiotic ointment that is a little thicker than vasoline and then put a coat of vasoline on top of that. It has been helpful, but I am willing to try some other remedies.

Catabolic_Jones said:

Yeah they could market the stuff to cyclists (as the name is a close to the actual use)...

I remember my grandfather (who is a dairy farmer) used that stuff on his hands in the winter to deal with chapping and the cold as well as a few other things like as a bacitracin substitute for cuts and scraps you get as a farmer.

Good call!