long distance uni

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by commandoH, Apr 24, 2004.

  1. commandoH

    commandoH Guest

    hey,

    im planning to do my first really big ride on a uni. Its about 275 miles
    for charity. But, i have only concentrated on trials and street, so i
    have no clue about what kind of uni to buy (coker, 29er, i got no clue)
    so if you have a suggestion on what kind of uni (or anything else about
    going long distances) please post

    thanks!

    --
    commandoH - has an invisible skeleton
    commandoH's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4947

  2. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    275 miles? Coker.

    A 29er is more convenient (fits in smaller spaces for storage and
    transport), but it's going to be slower.

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
    www.unicycling.com

    "Hey, could I have some of that spinach? I need to get this pork rind
    taste out of my mouth." -- Ryan Atkins to Kris Holm, on the way back
    from Moab after sampling some of my pork rinds. They grossed out the
    whole van!

  3. onetiredguy

    onetiredguy Guest

    I would suggest a 36" Coker with short cranks as well as an Air Saddle
    'cause that's a pretty long ride you are plannin to do.

    If the ride is pretty flat then the short cranks will help you go faster
    and the air saddle will help cushion the ride.

    You might wanna try talking to George Barnes, he's developed some pretty
    cool stuff for distance rides and rode his 36" Coker 500 miles on
    RAGBRAI.

    http://gurai.unicyclist.com/

    http://www.gb4mfg.com

    Good Luck!!!

    --
    onetiredguy

    I invented popular videos games such as "Dig Dug" and "Q-Bert"

    I also came up with the name "Frogger." Can you believe they wanted to
    name it "Highway Crossing Frog"?
    onetiredguy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5768

  4. tennisgh22

    tennisgh22 Guest

  5. tomblackwood

    tomblackwood Guest

    commandoH wrote:
    > *im planning to do my first really big ride on a uni. Its about 275
    > miles for charity. But, i have only concentrated on trials and street,
    > so i have no clue about what kind of uni to buy.*

    Lots of good advice (i.e. buy a Coker) in the posts above, and here's
    mine relative to your first sentence: Don't let your "first really big
    ride" be 275 miles. You'll hate yourself if you manage to finish at all.
    If you're committed to that event, get yourself a 36 asap and start
    getting in some serious saddle time. You won't regret it. You might want
    to google on the phrase "Norwegian Unicycle Tour" then go to that
    website. There are links on there outlining the training regimen that
    those riders did in prep for that tour. That might be a bit over the
    top for your purposes, but the principles are good. Get in some long
    rides, vary the lengths and terrain and riding conditions. Ride in the
    rain. Gradually increase your time between dismounts. Etc.

    --
    tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

    Tailgate at your own risk.....

  6. nathan

    nathan Guest

    Training training training. Those 3 things will make difference between
    having a horrible epic and a great adventure. See 'www.unitours.org'
    (http://www.unitours.org/) for info on our 600 mile Norway tour last
    summer as well as others. My training for that ride consisted of 1000
    miles in the 11 weeks before the tour. The tough part is riding day
    after day after day.

    ---Nathan

    --
    nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
    nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

  7. Mikefule

    Mikefule Guest

    That's a hell of a distance.

    I've done a fair number of 20 and 30 mile rides and occasionally more,
    on a wide range of wheel sizes.

    There is no doubt that the Coker is the best machine for distance. A
    28/29 with shorter cranks can be made to go as fast as a Coker, but not
    as easily, and it's not sustainable for long distances.

    On the Coker, better to have the cranks at a comfortable length, rather
    than shortening them too much for speed. As you get tired, the extra
    work needed to control a Coker with shorter cranks becomes a burden.

    And yes, train train train, with clear and measureable goals.

    If I had to do 275 miles over a number of consecutive days, I'd pitch it
    at about 50 miles a day, maybe a little bit more, depending on the
    terrain.

    I doubt I will ever do it though...

    Good luck with the project.

    --
    Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

    So many pedestrians tell me I've lost a wheel.