Long hair and cycling

Discussion in 'Women's Cycling' started by HellonWheels, Aug 30, 2004.

1. HellonWheels

HellonWheels New Member

Most female cyclists have shorter hair, it seems.....in my case I have very long hair and don't want to cut it. Is anyone else out there with long hair, who can tell me what they do re: washing, keeping it away from your face while riding, etc? Terry has a helmet just for those of us with long hair, for putting the ponytail through, etc

But how about washing? I don't like washing every day, just every other day, too often dries out the hair. What to do?

Tags:

2. Brunswick_kate

Brunswick_kate New Member

I had long long long hair for years. The keep away from face bit was always handled by the fact I kept it braided, basically a French braid that started at the back of the crown and went from there.

Washing...yes...always a bit of problem. Know exactly what you mean, so at the advice of my hairdresser, I started washing the root region only. Kitchen sink, very mild shampoo (baby shampoo or the like), just with the finger tips. NO SCRUBBING. Essentially just washing the scalp in truth. I only washed the length of my hair about once a week.

Helps that I have naturally oily hair as well

3. tinajoy

tinajoy New Member

I have long hair as well. I, like you don't like to wash every day..........my hair is all ready dry. I put my hair totally up during work-outs but it is still wet when I'm done. What I do is wash every other day...........but on the days I don't wash I just rinse my hair out. My hairdresser said it is the shampoo that drys the hair. I still am not happy about it cause I have to blow dry still and stuff...............but i can't go to work with sweaty hair! YUCK

4. HellonWheels

HellonWheels New Member

Thanks for the replies! I wasn't sure how to handle it anymore, rinsing on off days sounds like a good idea, and washing on the other days.

5. closesupport

closesupport Banned

ohh my goodness women and there hair, is there no end. you should all be at www.handbag.com tell you what ill do you all a favour you can all have it trimmed and what they cut off you can send to me, i could do with a little if only to dangle out of my helmet so i look like got some.

http://www.handbag.com/beauty/hair/

6. pam_in_sc

pam_in_sc New Member

I wear my long hair in a braid. I wear a coolmax headsweat under my helmet, tying the ends under my braid, and that absorbs some of the sweat from my neck that would otherwise make my hair so wet. I haven't seen anyone else around here wearing headsweats, but I also like how it helps the helmet stay in place and keeps my hair more out of my face, and my head doesn't feel hotter.

If I take a shorter ride I don't necessarily wash my hair. If I take a long ride and it is very wet with sweat and I just washed it the day before I give it a single wash with milder shampoo and use conditioner. Just rinsing would probably work, but by the time I get it wet it seems a waste not to wash it. I don't blow dry--I braid it wet (makes for lots of body).

7. Mouse Potato

Mouse Potato New Member

My hair is pretty long... down to my hips. I just put it into a simple pony tail for riding. My helmet (Met Ippogriffo; no "pony tail hole" and no problems from the lack of one although it would be interesting to try a Terry such as you mentioned) keeps the stray bits that escape from the pony tail out of my face... and so does the wind!

But I just don't get the thing about not wanting to wash it every day. Not washing it daily seems, well, kinda icky to me. I wouldn't have throught dry hair would be a problem if you use a really good quality shampoo and conditioner.

Mine gets washed at least once a day, often twice, and sometimes three times. It gets savagely blow-dried every time -- maximum heat + maximum air velocity, tip head forward and wave the dryer around until all moisture has evaporated... which takes just over 3 minutes, which with my volumne of hair should give you an idea of how ungently I treat it -- and I haven't had a problem with dryness or split ends or anything since I stopped using supermarket-type shampoo and stuff. Although some "salon exclusive" brands are pretty crap too... so it might take a bit of experimentation to find one you like that is also effective!

8. Mouse Potato

Mouse Potato New Member

Hehe. I know what you mean. I hope none of my colleagues see my post here. I'll never hear the end of it! :D

9. ejglows

ejglows New Member

Do you wear your socks two days in a row? I cant imagine not washing my hair after sweating my butt off on a ride! Use a decent shampoo, better conditioner and stay away from the hairdryer! I shutter to think what a hairdryer would do to my hair...then again I have spring-like curls.

It should be ritual, shower (wash hair) and EAT afterwards.

e

10. closesupport

closesupport Banned

the missus's hair was like that and she hated it, but there was nothing she could do about her curls and last year i sent her to have it Ionicly Retexturized, so now she doesnt really have to bother spending as much time washig it curling (scrunching it) it just drys straight and shines for days.

but it does cost a fortune for her redkin hair products, so i'm glad she doesn't wash it everyday.

ohh and the socks thing, change em when they get hard and uncomfortable

11. Beastt

Beastt New Member

Long hair on women is to die for so I'm glad none of you are recommending cutting it. Too many women out there have to go with absolutely every style change whether it's flattering or not. I absolutely love long hair on women so do whatever you have to do. Just don't cut it!

:)

12. closesupport

closesupport Banned

I AGREE! I dont think, there is any better site than seeing the main of a female cyclist trailing in the wind behind her. Long straight hair "and curls curls are good" i just find relaxers and things to be quite expensive, and that money could be spent on my bike or food.

13. HellonWheels

HellonWheels New Member

Oh I SOOOO agree with this! And what is it with middleaged women cutting their hair and wearing teddy bear tops? ARGH!!!!! One major reason why I wear my hair long is because I want to break that stupid 'rule" (I'm 45 yrs old.)

14. closesupport

closesupport Banned

45 you should have crew cut or something by now, or have you not started HRT yet :p

15. HellonWheels

HellonWheels New Member

BLECCCCH! :cool:

16. closesupport

closesupport Banned

what was that leech! you have it bleeched, hiding the grey hey!

17. Brunswick_kate

Brunswick_kate New Member

OMG...laughing myself completely silly here...

They ain't hot flashes, honey; they are power surges.

18. closesupport

closesupport Banned

Hmmmm! Okey, maybe i was wrong. But i dont believe you, i can however get you medical proof that they aint, but! who am i to take the wind out your sails, "well if you still got some grandma :D " But ain't that what women do, they hit menapause then all of a sudden they start dressing like teenagers.

Now whos laughin>>??????????

whats that all about???

19. HellonWheels

HellonWheels New Member

I "hit menopause" at 39...that's when I had a hysterectomy!

And I don't bleach or dye my hair, its very long, dark brown, all natural! Women inmy family don't start going grey until much later, late 50s, early 60s. My mom is 85 and only has some grey.

20. closesupport

closesupport Banned

:) 85 is a good age, my grandads about that age and he still rides his bike everywhere. you've got him to thank for me learning to ride a bike plus building me my first racer aged 9, some 22yrs ago.