Long Haul Flights?

parawolf

Jan 16, 2006
I couldn't find anywhere better to put this, and I think it fits here.

I'm currently mid training for some events, and doing my first D-Grade crit race this weekend. However at the end of this month, i'll be travelling overseas on a long haul flight (thankfully business class).

Should I be aware of any issues in regards to DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis) in regards to training/racing days before flying? Eg, don't race 24 hours before flying? I know there are issues in regards to SCUBA and flying so I thought i'd ask.

I figure it can't hurt even if I do a short crit 24 hours prior.

parawolf said:
I couldn't find anywhere better to put this, and I think it fits here.

I'm currently mid training for some events, and doing my first D-Grade crit race this weekend. However at the end of this month, i'll be travelling overseas on a long haul flight (thankfully business class).

Should I be aware of any issues in regards to DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis) in regards to training/racing days before flying? Eg, don't race 24 hours before flying? I know there are issues in regards to SCUBA and flying so I thought i'd ask.

I figure it can't hurt even if I do a short crit 24 hours prior.
I fly between Australia / France and West Africa every 4 weeks. I haven't noticed any issues. The deal with diving relates to the pressure change and does not apply to activities taking place at 1 atmosphere.

Cool thanks for that. I knew that there was special things about diving, but I figured I would just liken it to the 'exercise' thing.

I wouldn't have thought that there would be any problems, and my family has no history of clots etc, apart from the smokers (that live OS anyway).

parawolf said:
I knew that there was special things about diving
The recommended 24 hour restriction for flying after SCUBA diving has to do with avoiding decompression sickness due to increased dissolved nitrogen in the blood which may come out of solution as bubbles. Because passenger jets are pressurized to only a fraction of normal atmospheric pressure, a diver who recently completed dives would be at an increased risk for decompression sickness while flying than remaining grounded in the hours following the dives.

None of this applies to cycling or other forms of aerobic exercise. However, I am neither a doctor, nor a SCUBA instructor, so don't take this as professional advice.

Berend

EoinC said:
I fly between Australia / France and West Africa every 4 weeks. I haven't noticed any issues. The deal with diving relates to the pressure change and does not apply to activities taking place at 1 atmosphere.
If you haven't already gone on your long flight...

Consider wearing skins. I used them recently on a long transit from Perth to Germany for a marathon and they made a considerable difference - kept my legs good and fresh.

jarrah said:

Consider wearing skins. I used them recently on a long transit from Perth to Germany for a marathon and they made a considerable difference - kept my legs good and fresh.

I do own a set of JetSkins and indeed I 'feel' that my legs are fresher. Placibo or not, i find they work.

parawolf said:
I do own a set of JetSkins and indeed I 'feel' that my legs are fresher. Placibo or not, i find they work.
I use Gin & Tonic. Every month = Perth / Paris / Malabo, or Malabo / Paris / Perth...Every month = G&T. Best little placebo I know of.

Doing a race before a long haul may actually be good. It gets your body tired and will help you to fall asleep on the flight. One of the worst thing on E-W long haul is one's inability to sleep and quickly adjust to the time zone. Piror to flying to N Am, I typically stay up most of the night before and get into the local time zone. This way it's very easy to crash out 4 hours after departure and get 8 hours of solid rest and wake up before landing.

One other thing. For DVT prevention as well as avoiding respiratory problems from long hauls... Drink plenty of water. I always get them to keep a glass full of sparkling mineral water with a piece of lime and regularly sip on it. Dehydration is bad in cycling as well as in air travels.

jarrah said:

When you say skins do you mean those special socks. I knew someone who used to wear those old folks type of socks to help keep the legs feeling fresh.