Long Island ride

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides' started by Bill Taylor, Jan 8, 2006.

  1. Bill Taylor

    Bill Taylor Guest

    I've always wanted to take the LIRR to Montauk, then visit/overnight the
    town and cycle back to, say Ronkonkoma or such. Is this doable or
    advisable? How about links or resources?
    Can you take a bike thru Penn Station?

    Tags:

  2. NY Rides

    NY Rides Guest

    town and cycle back to, say Ronkonkoma or such. Is this doable or
    advisable? How about links or resources? Can you take a bike thru Penn
    Station?<<<<

    Bill:

    First, I guess it depends on where you're coming from. Montauk is a popular
    cycling destination from points west on Long Island, as it can usually
    constitute a century with full bragging rights. It's about 100 miles east
    of Syosset, where I live. Ronkonkoma is roughly 30 miles east of where I
    live.

    Personally, I don't think the ride between Montauk and Ronkonkoma would be
    all that interesting, unless you're doing it for the mileage (about 70?).
    I've ridden as far as the end of the LI Expressway, which is still a great
    distance from Montauk. That ride felt great for the exercise and sense of
    accomplishment, but I don't have any great memories of sights along the way.
    And the stretch from there to Montauk is only spotted with things for a
    cyclist to see and do.

    I don't want to shoot down your dream, but I think there are some better
    Long Island rides to consider. For one, if you're set on Montauk, start
    there, but detour from the south shore of LI via Sag Harbor, then take Rt.
    114 (complete with a bike lane) to the South Ferry terminal. From there,
    take a ferry to Shelter Island and continue on the bike route through that
    cool little summer retreat. At the north end of Shelter Island, get on the
    North Ferry to Greenport, which is a cool little town (during the summer and
    fall) in itself. From there, you can either head east to the northern tip
    of Long Island (then ferry to Connecticut???) or head west along the north
    fork toward one of the LIRR stations up that way. In my opinion, the north
    fork is much nicer, as there are some long stretches of farmland and tons of
    wineries along the way. About 80 miles west of Greenport, you'll hit Port
    Jefferson, which is a very lively waterside village. From there, you can
    also ferry to Connecticut - or just a catch a train home.

    Regarding Penn Station, you can carry a bike on the train, but you'll need a
    $5 bike pass during the week (although the conductors never seem to check
    them). I believe you can still ride the LIRR with a bike on the weekends
    without a pass.

    If you let me know where you're leaving from, I may be able to offer some
    more advice. For a little more detail on that bike/ferry route that takes
    you from the south to the north forks, check my website at
    www.geocities.com/NYRides and click on the link for ROAD RIDES.

    Have fun.

  3. Bill Cotton

    Bill Cotton Guest

    "NY Rides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > town and cycle back to, say Ronkonkoma or such. Is this doable or
    > advisable? How about links or resources? Can you take a bike thru Penn
    > Station?<<<<

    http://www.billcotton.com/activities.htm Some of the link are broken on this
    page. but paging down pass the Boy Scout picture are detail of my second
    Long Island Bike camping trip. From Philadelphia PA using commuter trains
    that allows bicycles to Penn station. We use the LIRR to Ronkonkoma. We also
    use LI bicycle maps http://www.transalt.org/info/maps.html
    Long Island has bicycle camping hostel and signed bicycle routes. We use
    three bicycle camps on our way to Orient point to use a ferry to New London,
    bike to New Haven We use the Montreal with roll on bicycle, but that no
    longer runs. On a previous trip we used the Metro North to Grand Central and
    bicycle through town to Penn Station