Long Legs = Faster Rider?

friedmikey

Jan 20, 2005
All other things equal, are longer legs an advantage when it comes to pedaling efficiency, power, endurance, speed, etc.?

On rides, my friends that drop behind often say something along the lines of, “well you’ve got those long legs!” I’m really not that fast – I think I just push myself more than they do. I’m curious if there is some truth to their statements.

as a unapolegetic wheelsucking oppuritunist myself, i could suggest they just want to get a good draft provided, invoke strong rider allocades and sit on.
as for better, just lookit all the tour riders with the small frames.
even some sprinters. and the shorter a rider is the longer the cranks are, in proportion which may offer an advantage to the short, er, shorter cyclist.
as a tall rider, the crank length is proportionately shorter which may suit someone with a high cadence pedal styling. maybe this is you.

friedmikey said:
All other things equal, are longer legs an advantage when it comes to pedaling efficiency, power, endurance, speed, etc.?

On rides, my friends that drop behind often say something along the lines of, “well you’ve got those long legs!” I’m really not that fast – I think I just push myself more than they do. I’m curious if there is some truth to their statements.

friedmikey said:

I've heard that having longer than average thigh bones give you more leverage and thus more power. I think it came from a book about the physics of bicycles that my husband bought. I could try to find the exact source if you are really that interested.

Eden said:
I've heard that having longer than average thigh bones give you more leverage and thus more power. I think it came from a book about the physics of bicycles that my husband bought. I could try to find the exact source if you are really that interested.

Yes I have heard this before too, it is true they give you more leverage, but this will only give more force or torque. I don't know if this means more power though, since power is a function of force and speed. It is the same thing as longer cranks may give you more leverage, but you can make the same or more power by spinning shorter ones faster.