Long rear racks for large panniers and riders with big feet "http://nordicgroup.us/rearracks/"

SMS

Guest
During my search for a rear rack that would work with the Arkel Bug
pannier/backpack I compiled a document with various possible suitable racks.

I needed a rack that would:

a) allow the pannier to be mounted far back enough so my foot wouldn't
hit it with every crank revolution (size 11.5/46 shoes).

b) had a way to hook the shock cord hook to something when the pannier
was mounted toward the rear of the rack.

c) had a "dog leg" style rear support strut so the pannier wouldn' flop
into the wheel on bumps.

I put together a list of racks that would be suitable.

I put them onto a web site here: "http://nordicgroup.us/rearracks/".
Maybe it will help someone else looking for a suitable rack, since most
rear racks on the market are not well designed to use with panniers.

If anyone knows of any racks that I've missed then please let me know
and I'll add them to the site. It should have at least a 15" platform
length, have a "dog leg" style (or other appropriate style) rear strut,
and have a long flat area at the bottom for hooking the shock cord.

Steve
http://nordicgroup.us/rearracks/

Be Nice to America or We'll Bring Democracy to Your Country Too

Search RBT arrrhives for 'datakoll rack'
That gives:
DIY REAR RACK MOUNT
TOURING RACK
Biannual or triannual rusto painting, keeping an eye on weathering and
wear, using the rack weekly for 60-70 pound grocery loads contained in
a mil spec duffel from Campmor laced atop the rack with shock cords
And camping gear on top and laced to the ply sides
7 years!

In rec.bicycles.misc SMS <[email protected]> wrote:

> I put them onto a web site here: "http://nordicgroup.us/rearracks/".
> Maybe it will help someone else looking for a suitable rack, since most
> rear racks on the market are not well designed to use with panniers.

It looks good. I'll show it to my coworker who's having problems with
his clearance. He's a small guy, but he also got a bike with short
chainstays, so he's having problems. The thing really stopping him from
coming to work on his bike is being able to put his laptop on the bike.

If that doesn't work, I'm planning on getting a plastic tub, drilling
some holes and fastening it to the top of the rack.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
"It's an impressive feat to put the last nail in

Dane Buson wrote:
> In rec.bicycles.misc SMS <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I put them onto a web site here: "http://nordicgroup.us/rearracks/".
>> Maybe it will help someone else looking for a suitable rack, since most
>> rear racks on the market are not well designed to use with panniers.

> It looks good. I'll show it to my coworker who's having problems with
> his clearance. He's a small guy, but he also got a bike with short
> chainstays, so he's having problems. The thing really stopping him from
> coming to work on his bike is being able to put his laptop on the bike.
>
> If that doesn't work, I'm planning on getting a plastic tub, drilling
> some holes and fastening it to the top of the rack.

Yeah, the problem with most racks now extends to even those with smaller
feet, due to bicycles with smaller frames and shorter chain stays.

Since so few users ever hang panniers on their racks, it usually isn't
an issue.

On Jun 5, 12:48 pm, SMS <[email protected]> wrote:
> Yeah, the problem with most racks now extends to even those with smaller
> feet, due to bicycles with smaller frames and shorter chain stays.

I finally got my Bor Yueh Urban rack from Nashbar installed on my
Specialized Sequoia Sport, the 2003 aluminum bike with 430mm chain
stays, not their older, steel bike of the same name (quite a struggle
since the rack seems to have been designed for a bike with 120mm rear
spacing and eyelets on skinny dropouts).

It's got a short deck as I think you found when you tried that rack
out Steve? But I don't have a clearance problem with it and my
panniers as I've had on other, similarly short deck racks. Unlike
some racks with a top deck that bends up at the rear or that has
vertical tubing in the way, I can securely hang the panniers I have
all the way rearward without any interference from the rack itself. I
suppose that combined with the long (for today's road bikes, including
the 2007 Sequoias which have shrunk back a bit to ~415mm) chainstays
helps.

[email protected] wrote:
> On Jun 5, 12:48 pm, SMS <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Yeah, the problem with most racks now extends to even those with smaller
>> feet, due to bicycles with smaller frames and shorter chain stays.

> I finally got my Bor Yueh Urban rack from Nashbar installed on my
> Specialized Sequoia Sport, the 2003 aluminum bike with 430mm chain
> stays, not their older, steel bike of the same name (quite a struggle
> since the rack seems to have been designed for a bike with 120mm rear
> spacing and eyelets on skinny dropouts).
>
> It's got a short deck as I think you found when you tried that rack
> out Steve? But I don't have a clearance problem with it and my
> panniers as I've had on other, similarly short deck racks. Unlike
> some racks with a top deck that bends up at the rear or that has
> vertical tubing in the way, I can securely hang the panniers I have
> all the way rearward without any interference from the rack itself. I
> suppose that combined with the long (for today's road bikes, including
> the 2007 Sequoias which have shrunk back a bit to ~415mm) chainstays
> helps.

Yes, the Bor-Yueh is better than I expected. I installed one on an old
Univega mountain bike that I was converting to a pseudo-hybrid for a
family member.

I think that the measurement on the Bor Yueh web site must have included
the length of the seat stay hardware.

I had to make some custom seat stay brackets, as the ones that came with
the rack weren't long enough, but I've had to do that with many racks.

I added the Bor Yueh to the web site.

On Jun 5, 12:20 pm, SMS <[email protected]> wrote:

> Yes, the Bor-Yueh is better than I expected. I installed one on an old
> Univega mountain bike that I was converting to a pseudo-hybrid for a
> family member.
>
> I think that the measurement on the Bor Yueh web site must have included
> the length of the seat stay hardware.
>
> I had to make some custom seat stay brackets, as the ones that came with
> the rack weren't long enough, but I've had to do that with many racks.
>
> I added the Bor Yueh to the web site.
>
> "http://nordicgroup.us/rearracks"- Hide quoted text -

This thread caught my eye since I've had the same problem. Have you
considered changing panniers, as well as racks? I imagine you were
hoping to solve the problem only with a new rack, since you forked out
the money for the Arkels and want to keep them. But if you can't solve
the problem with just a new rack...

I have various racks and panniers, and the only set of panniers I have
that readily mount in a sufficiently rearward position are Ortliebs.
Besides their other niceties, they have a large range of adjustment
for their upper mounting "hooks", allowing additional rearward travel
compared to panniers that have fixed hooks located near the ends of
the bag. One thing to note is that the jaws of the upper mounts
completely encircle the rack tubing, so the mounts cannot be placed in
points where the horizontal tubing has any obstruction beneath it.
Also, for the model I have (Backroller Plus), the back of the Ortlieb
pannier is pretty stiff. I can't compare it to the Arkel, having never
used one, but mine only move a little bit, even when fully loaded.
I've never had one flop into the rear wheel, even when using a rack
that doesn't have the "dog leg" shape. Of course, there may be other
panniers that have these features, but I don't know of any.

Stephen Greenwood

Stephen Greenwood wrote:

> This thread caught my eye since I've had the same problem. Have you
> considered changing panniers, as well as racks? I imagine you were
> hoping to solve the problem only with a new rack, since you forked out
> the money for the Arkels and want to keep them. But if you can't solve
> the problem with just a new rack...

I have no problems with my regular Kangaroo panniers, and haven't found
any others with as good of a mounting system (no springs, no shock
cords). Alas, these U.S. made bags are no longer manufactured and the
company is long gone, but they were the Ortleib of the 1980's.

But the Arkel Bug is kind of a different animal, it's a convertible
pannier/backpack, and there are almost no other such designs on the
market. Arkel makes a big deal about their mounting system, and I think
that on their regular panniers it's probably fine, but the Bug's
mounting system is a little different because the backpack functionality
forced some changes in the mounting system.

PLYWOOD REAR RACK
The rack problem is solvable thru adding ½ plywood, better than
exterior roofing CDX, to a metal rack.
Start with cardboard templates-visit a furniture store for card board.
One sheet each side, one sheet on top.
3 bean cans wide and 2' long is adequate. The 2' length should allow
the bike to stand up on the rear then lean against a support for
maintenance, lubrication, and on a seat post for rear tire removal.
Home Depot has metal hardware for joining sides to top on the top of
the top. The bottom of the top gets two 2x2's at the joint. One side
is beveled to direct and support the side plates angles to the dropout
eyelets. The beveling 2x2 is essential to force the sideplates into a
straight down run not bow out over time. The top/side/2x2 are joined
with 1/8 bolts, blue locktite, washers. That's the skilled part.
At the dropout, a 6mm grade 8 bolt is shimmed out with nuts and
washers with the female end outboard thru the side plate which gets
two fender washers each side. Use nylocks and loctite blue. Carry
spare 6mm bolts as the quality may not be grade 8. Linseed metal hole
area and all bolt hardware not painted.
This contraption is mounted over the standard metal rack's top with
rectangular straps spanning the metal racks members in 3 places-two
aside rear, one ahead middle, or four if there's room. Cut straps from
soft steel plate(scrap from metal shop), drill two holes and bolt the
ply to the rack.
The ply side's rise above the ply top's surface in three sections each
side with two flush spaces between. The risers hold the top bag and
load, form a keeper for rope loops, and allow flush access across in
the in between spaces.
The sides are cut in a curve back from your heel, trail and cut. The
sides are cut out with four lightening holes with corners elongated
for shock cord hook purchase.
My side's are a long side top short side bottom with curves front and
rear so the side plate looks like a bag. The ply is painted with
several coats of white rusto from Wal after sanding clean.
Straight side's four sides may look good in dayglo yellow or orange.
When the standard rack's chainstay bracket breaks, fix an angle across
the top's front (which runs up under the seat past the standard front
rack edge) with two holes drilled for a long legged exhaust pipe U-
bolt, standard from True Value.
The U of the bolt goes around a 1/2 section salvaged frame tube placed
over the seat post.
My rig has a second front mount of metal angle bolted to the top's
underside, running down to the seat stay cross piece. Use a steel
cable u clamp there also True Value.
For camping, the rack will mount one duffel on top with 45 pounds and
two duffels or garbage bags each side with clothing and sleeping bag,
tent bag atop the duffel.
The rear wheel is off course beefier than standard: Conti/spec tube/
Cr-18 rim/14 ga straight spokes/Deore XT/Wheels Mfg solid axle.
The ply rack's ability to continuously carry heavy loads for camping
and shopping outstrips the standard metal rack by far. And off course
there should be no mounting problems for Peter White's bags
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/packs&racks.htm , Jann, or whatever
given the bolt-on anywhere ply.

Dane Buson wrote:
> It looks good. I'll show it to my coworker who's having problems with
> his clearance. He's a small guy, but he also got a bike with short
> chainstays, so he's having problems. The thing really stopping him from
> coming to work on his bike is being able to put his laptop on the bike.
> If that doesn't work, I'm planning on getting a plastic tub, drilling
> some holes and fastening it to the top of the rack.

Tub? The usual answer is to buy a milk crate, install with zipties.
The upscale version in Madison is a milk crate secured with stainless
hose clamps but that adds $2~$3.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

thta's how we tell retarded vagrants from people on social security.
vargrants carry stuff in plastic bags over the bar while SSA retirees
have blue milk crates on racks

In rec.bicycles.tech A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dane Buson wrote:

>> If that doesn't work, I'm planning on getting a plastic tub, drilling
>> some holes and fastening it to the top of the rack.

> Tub? The usual answer is to buy a milk crate, install with zipties.

Wellll, I'd like to set him up with something a little more aesthetic
and streamlined. It would also be nice to make it waterproof and
prepadded.

> The upscale version in Madison is a milk crate secured with stainless
> hose clamps but that adds $2~$3.

Fancy.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I do.

A Muzi wrote:
>> In rec.bicycles.misc SMS <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> I put them onto a web site here: "http://nordicgroup.us/rearracks/".
>>> Maybe it will help someone else looking for a suitable rack, since
>>> most rear racks on the market are not well designed to use with
>>> panniers.

> Dane Buson wrote:
>> It looks good. I'll show it to my coworker who's having problems with
>> his clearance. He's a small guy, but he also got a bike with short
>> chainstays, so he's having problems. The thing really stopping him from
>> coming to work on his bike is being able to put his laptop on the bike.
>> If that doesn't work, I'm planning on getting a plastic tub, drilling
>> some holes and fastening it to the top of the rack.

> Tub? The usual answer is to buy a milk crate, install with zipties.
> The upscale version in Madison is a milk crate secured with stainless
> hose clamps but that adds $2~$3.

When I ride with my laptop I use a messenger bag. It's too much jolting
on the rack in a pannier.

SMS wrote:

> When I ride with my laptop I use a messenger bag. It's too much
> jolting on the rack in a pannier.

You may be being cautious. Before I started carrying my laptop in a pannier,
I searched on bike groups to find out if there were problems with carrying a
laptop on a pannier. While many (including me) have a protective case
inside the pannier, there doesn't seem to be evidence of problems, even
going back to the days of early, less sturdy laptops.

It appears this is merely a compilation of "specs" not an actual test
or even an examination of most of these racks. Is that the case?

On Jun 6, 12:16 pm, "Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote:
> SMS wrote:
> > When I ride with my laptop I use a messenger bag. It's too much
> > jolting on the rack in a pannier.

> You may be being cautious. Before I started carrying my laptop in a pannier,
> I searched on bike groups to find out if there were problems with carrying a
> laptop on a pannier. While many (including me) have a protective case
> inside the pannier, there doesn't seem to be evidence of problems, even
> going back to the days of early, less sturdy laptops.

In either case take the time to turn the laptop off, not let it sleep,
makes sure the hard drive heads are away from the disk. Aternatively
buy a SSD 'hard drive'.

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> It appears this is merely a compilation of "specs" not an actual test
> or even an examination of most of these racks. Is that the case?

Indeed, it is a compilation of racks, that according to their specs and
design, would be likely to solve the heel clearance problem experienced
by many riders when using panniers.

I have not tested or even seen all of these racks.

As I stated in the original post, "I compiled a document with various
possible suitable racks."

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 06:55:14 -0700, Dane Buson <[email protected]> wrote:

>In rec.bicycles.misc SMS <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> I put them onto a web site here: "http://nordicgroup.us/rearracks/".
>> Maybe it will help someone else looking for a suitable rack, since most
>> rear racks on the market are not well designed to use with panniers.

>It looks good. I'll show it to my coworker who's having problems with
>his clearance. He's a small guy, but he also got a bike with short
>chainstays, so he's having problems. The thing really stopping him from
>coming to work on his bike is being able to put his laptop on the bike.
>
>If that doesn't work, I'm planning on getting a plastic tub, drilling
>some holes and fastening it to the top of the rack.

When I was in a similar situation, I got a laptop bag that I could
sling over my shoulder. When it rained, my rain poncho would cover it,
so everything stayed dry. L.L. Bean made a nice one.

--

When trying to contact me, be polite. Rudeness will not get you anywhere.

Larry