long rides with viola

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Jonathan Frethe, Aug 15, 2003.

  1. Soon I'll start to ride about 65 miles to a fellow musician's house with my viola on the bike. Any
    advice on the safest way to transport said cargo over that distance would be appreciated.

    Sadly, I don't have a suspension case (which, I think, would solve the problem of jarring the thing
    around); but I have heard of cellists who wrap their instruments in bubble wrap inside their hard
    cases when flying. Advice from experienced bicycling violists/violinists would be great.

    Tags:

  2. On 15 Aug 2003 11:35:06 -0700, [email protected] (Jonathan Fretheim) wrote:

    >Soon I'll start to ride about 65 miles to a fellow musician's house with my viola on the bike. Any
    >advice on the safest way to transport said cargo over that distance would be appreciated.
    >
    >Sadly, I don't have a suspension case (which, I think, would solve the problem of jarring the thing
    >around); but I have heard of cellists who wrap their instruments in bubble wrap inside their hard
    >cases when flying. Advice from experienced bicycling violists/violinists would be great.

    Even with a suspension case, I think the bubble wrap is a great idea, especially for the vulnerable
    headstock.

  3. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "Jonathan Fretheim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Soon I'll start to ride about 65 miles to a fellow musician's house with my viola on the bike. Any
    > advice on the safest way to transport said cargo over that distance would be appreciated.
    >
    > Sadly, I don't have a suspension case (which, I think, would solve the problem of jarring the
    > thing around); but I have heard of cellists who wrap their instruments in bubble wrap inside their
    > hard cases when flying. Advice from experienced bicycling violists/violinists would be great.

    Get a large backpack with a rigid frame (internal or external). Doesn't have to be fancy or
    expensive, as long as it fits you and holds the viola case securely. Lashing the case to the
    backpack frame with bungies might be a good idea. Any sporting goods shop or even department
    stores probably have something that would work, without dropping big cash on a "serious"
    mountaineering pack.

    I wouldn't carry the viola attached to the bike if you can avoid it.

    -Barry

  4. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    > Soon I'll start to ride about 65 miles to a fellow musician's house with my viola on the bike. Any
    > advice on the safest way to transport said cargo over that distance would be appreciated.
    >
    > Sadly, I don't have a suspension case (which, I think, would solve the problem of jarring the
    > thing around); but I have heard of cellists who wrap their instruments in bubble wrap inside their
    > hard cases when flying. Advice from experienced bicycling violists/violinists would be great.

    I'm not a string player, but I would think putting it on your back would go a long way toward
    absorbing any damaging shocks or vibration. However, 65 miles might be a long way to wear a back
    pack on a bike.

    it's morning".

  5. DiabloScott

    DiabloScott New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2003
    Messages:
    2,284
    If this is going to be a regular thing, I'd consider getting a second instrument and leaving it at your friend's house.

  6. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    B. Sanders wrote:
    > Get a large backpack with a rigid frame (internal or external). Doesn't have to be fancy or
    > expensive, as long as it fits you and holds the viola case securely. Lashing the case to the
    > backpack frame with bungies might be a good idea. Any sporting goods shop or even department
    > stores probably have something that would work, without dropping big cash on a "serious"
    > mountaineering pack.
    >
    > I wouldn't carry the viola attached to the bike if you can avoid it.

    I'd guess heat would kill the thing in any case. The sun will heat anything up to unreasonable
    temperatures that isn't in the shade with free air wafting past it.

    The humidity change and temperature would probably crack the thing in short order as the wood
    changes size.
    --
    Ron Hardin [email protected]

  7. Kevan Smith

    Kevan Smith Guest

    On 15 Aug 2003 11:35:06 -0700, [email protected] (Jonathan Fretheim) from
    http://groups.google.com/ wrote:

    >Soon I'll start to ride about 65 miles to a fellow musician's house with my viola on the bike. Any
    >advice on the safest way to transport said cargo over that distance would be appreciated.

    Put it in its case, put the case in a backpack, wear the backpack.

    --
    http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace Frivolity is a stern taskmaster.
    3:22:41 PM 15 August 2003

  8. On 15 Aug 2003 11:35:06 -0700 in rec.bicycles.misc, [email protected] (Jonathan Fretheim) wrote:

    > Soon I'll start to ride about 65 miles to a fellow musician's house with my viola on the bike. Any
    > advice on the safest way to transport said cargo over that distance would be appreciated.

    I would suggest using a padded nylon case on your back. I've seen some that have quite a large but
    lightweight block of foam with a fiddle cutout, and they have backpack straps. Check with your
    local lutenist.

  9. Forget the bike and hop on the Grey Dog. But, don't let them stow the viola in the luggage
    compartment.

    Steve McDonald