Long Sleeve or Short??

jjiam

Aug 24, 2004
Hiya all, it's beginning to get hot here in Las Vegas, so my question is this if you cycle in the hot hot weather with the sun beating down on you, which would you do??? Would you wear a Long sleeve wicking jersey, or would you wear a short sleeve jersey and use gobs and gobs of sunscreen? I've done both but not sure which is better? what would you guys say?

Have you tried Underarmour?
http://www.underarmour.com/ua2/ua/default.asp

I used it when I played soccer (did a good job against the sub burns), doing dualthlons. It's a real thin material almost spandex material that wicks away moisture really fast, especially if you are moving. I have the long sleeve turf gear, though I think there All Season Gear would work as well. It can get pretty pricey 30-50 dollars for a shirt, it's a real tight fit almost like a second skin. Though from my experience it's been pretty durable. I would wear it under your short sleeve jersey. I finally was able to afford a road bike, (upgraded from a beat up hybrid) so I will be doing a lot more cycling this spring. I'm not a big fan of suntan lotion due to how it smells and feels on my skin.

jjiam said:
Hiya all, it's beginning to get hot here in Las Vegas, so my question is this if you cycle in the hot hot weather with the sun beating down on you, which would you do??? Would you wear a Long sleeve wicking jersey, or would you wear a short sleeve jersey and use gobs and gobs of sunscreen? I've done both but not sure which is better? what would you guys say?
Probably the short sleeve.... You can still get sunburned even with a long-sleeved jersey on. It's the UV rays from the sun and they can penetrate a jersey. I am a scuba diver and I wear a wetsuit under water.... I can still sweat and get a sunburn if I'm not careful and take precautions. Even with the wicking jersey, you can still over-exert yourself.....Go with the more comfortable jersey and just use sunscreen. You'd probably have to use it even with a long jersey on.

I'm very sun aware. I try to make sure my rides do not occur between 10am-3pm. Of course, that doesn't work half the time because long rides just take a long time. So, I start early and try to be off th ebike by 1pm (which doesn't always work either .... but is OK most of the time. I wear arm-warmers and leg warmers for as long as possible into the ride. Often, I'll keep leg warmers on well past noon even on hot days. They don't make me much hotter, and they provide a lot of sun protection.

I also wear a Performance Bike UV rated jersey. They have Jerseys that are SPF30 and work very well. I then cover myself is SPF45 sunscreen 30 minutes before I ride. I reapply every 60 minutes. Goes on very easily when you're sweaty.

I tend to break-out when using sunscreens on my face, combined with sweat. So, I use high quality stuff and immediately after the ride I shower and use a benzoyl peroxide wash. No break-out with this process.

I'm quite careful about sun exposure as I've had skin cancer in the past (not the horrible kind, but a wake up call). This method seems to keep me so well covered that I don't even get a hint of color all summer. That may be more coverage than you want ..... but it's a testament to how effective it is - and I ride 100-150miles/week.

Also, I use a sunscreen with 4 ingredients. At least one is micronized zinc as that provides an physical barrier. Important to have blocks for UV-A and UV-B. I also think it's good to block UV-C

Anyway ... just another data point for you.

-Robert

jjiam said: