Long time Roadie, soon to start MTBing?

Look 566 Rider

Aug 4, 2011
Good day,

Seriously considering Mountain Biking... As much as you can in Central Ohio anyway.

Main concerns for me are, Hardtail or Full Suspension? 26er or 29er?

Since I am not sure I will really "dig it", I plan to keep trolling Craig's List for a decent buy. Scored a nice Scott hybrid for my wife for $200. Anyone have an idea on what frame makers have less trouble than others with durability?

I get the rest of the what to expect as far as components and so forth since I have been road riding for a long time. So if I decide I really like this, I know I can upgrade as money allows.

Regards,

Mike

If your going to be doing more cross country cycling I would recommend a hardtail to start. Wheel size, well thats your preference. Possibly look for a few discussions on what the benefits are for the 29rs...

If your buying a second hand frame, just look closely at the photos and when you see the bike to determine what its condition is. Most well known frame makers all make durable frames, its more how they have been treated.

I'm doing the reverse Mountie to Roadie lol. Well training for duathlon then tri next year Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

dvnjhn said:
If your going to be doing more cross country cycling I would recommend a hardtail to start. Wheel size, well thats your preference. Possibly look for a few discussions on what the benefits are for the 29rs...
If your buying a second hand frame, just look closely at the photos and when you see the bike to determine what its condition is. Most well known frame makers all make durable frames, its more how they have been treated.
Very good advice... Like said, wheel size is just a preference, and to me so is suspension/hard tail.... I have done some absolutely NUTs stuff on my hardtail, that some suspension riders wouldnt even try....its all about getting to "know" your bike and how it will react in any situataion is the most important part.... I have been riding my mtb frame for 7years now and thrown hell at it.... And it just bounces back and begs for more......LOL Frame brand? Any of the major brands make great frames..... I happen to like trek, but its just a personal preference....