long (tough) ride planned ... what now?

geneman10

Jul 11, 2003
I'm about as avid a cyclist as one can be with two very young kids and a new home. My typical ride is a solo of around 25 miles including rolling hills and the occasional short climb.

I'm dedicating the coming year to prepare for a September ride. This ride will be my first century although I've gone as far as 65 miles on solo rides before. What will be especially challenging is the terrain. Take a look at the elevation map below.

Training suggestions? Try to do at least one, maybe two centuries before I tackle this? I'm a little intimidated, but determined!

Thanks for the input!

-Mark

2003%20Highlander%20profile.gif

Originally posted by stevek
that looks like you need mountain climbing gear (G)

I'm also overhauling my bike this winter. In the process, I'm going to add a 27 and remove a 12. The closer I get to the event though, the better the chance that I'll bail and add a 29 instead ;^)

-Mark

Dang man, I live in Northern California and all we have around here are hills and mountains, and when I saw that map you posted, I thought you compressed the mileage line!

What I would do is intervals up and down hills, over and over, on some of your rides. Also, try a flatter century just to get the feel of sore muscles in transit. Take some Ibuprofen or something before you go on the long one, or at the first rest stop. And try to consistently do around 100 miles at least weekly for several weeks or more before you go.

I've got a 27 and that's all I need. If you need more, you might as well walk.

Good Luck!
Retribe

Originally posted by Retribe
Dang man, I live in Northern California and all we have around here are hills and mountains, and when I saw that map you posted, I thought you compressed the mileage line!

What I would do is intervals up and down hills, over and over, on some of your rides. Also, try a flatter century just to get the feel of sore muscles in transit. Take some Ibuprofen or something before you go on the long one, or at the first rest stop. And try to consistently do around 100 miles at least weekly for several weeks or more before you go.

I've got a 27 and that's all I need. If you need more, you might as well walk.

Good Luck!
Retribe

Great recommendations. Especially concerning the 27. Thanks.

-Mark

Just purchased a new bike for the task.

http://www.tommasobikes.com/images/pop_as1.jpg

Tommaso AS1 ... the new Tommaso slogan should read "Our bikes are as Italian as Dim Sum."

Didn't really matter much to me. It's a Kinesis frame and carbon fork. It's got mostly Tiagra with a 105 rear derallier thrown in. decent wheels, blah, blah, blah. Weighs in at just under 22 lbs with pedals. Brand new.

Best of all, I picked it up for well under $500. I've been parting out my Bianchi and have made ~$160 so far (thank you Ebay).

Now to get on the trainer to make this thing happen.

-Mark

edit: It's a triple, so I have all the gearing I need for the hills (and then some)

Oh man. Look at the incline from mile 25-30.

What are you riding on, goat trails?

Have fun!

Originally posted by geneman10
I'm about as avid a cyclist as one can be with two very young kids and a new home. My typical ride is a solo of around 25 miles including rolling hills and the occasional short climb.

I'm dedicating the coming year to prepare for a September ride. This ride will be my first century although I've gone as far as 65 miles on solo rides before. What will be especially challenging is the terrain. Take a look at the elevation map below.

Training suggestions? Try to do at least one, maybe two centuries before I tackle this? I'm a little intimidated, but determined!

Thanks for the input!

-Mark

2003%20Highlander%20profile.gif

Ouch!!!!

You guys are discouraging me.

It's not a race although I would like to apply my best effort. Slow and steady will be my motto. I should be able to finish in under 7 hours if I train correctly (around 14mph average)

Anyone in the states want to make a roadtrip to Western NY next September to test your mettle?

Mark,

A truly great event! I did the Lowlander this year and just made sure I had plenty of base miles on my legs. Best advice - ride portions of the '03 route for training because other hills (e.g., Rt. 5 & 20 don't even compare to Bopple Hill!). Also, if you want to ease your way into a century, the Lowlander is actually a 5K instead of 3K of elevation climb.

SJP

Thank God for my triple!

Originally posted by sjp
Mark,

A truly great event! I did the Lowlander this year and just made sure I had plenty of base miles on my legs. Best advice - ride portions of the '03 route for training because other hills (e.g., Rt. 5 & 20 don't even compare to Bopple Hill!). Also, if you want to ease your way into a century, the Lowlander is actually a 5K instead of 3K of elevation climb.

SJP

Thank God for my triple!

SJP.

Great to see one of the ~400 participants frequents this board!

Thanks for the advice. I'm intent in my desire to ride the highlander. I used to be a pretty good cyclist several years ago (even raced, but strangely never rode a century) and feel that I have this ride in me. Your recommendation to ride a few of the hills before the event is a good one. In fact, I'm going to video tape the course in the next week or so, so that I can review the ride while I train indoors this winter. Any chance you bought the video tape offered on the web site? Is it worth the $15?

Are you going to be there in 2004?

was gonna suggest getting a smaller chain ring, but then I saw you bought a triple. should help plenty. I've got 2 sets of small chain rings that I interchange depending on the nature of the ride. For flatter rides I use a 42 and for the hilly rides I take the 42 off and put a 39 on. The extra few teeth does make a difference.