long trip with 10 year-old

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Ali, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. Ali

    Ali Guest

    Any advice? Me and the boy (10) have this idea about cycling from here (Spalding,Lincs) to his
    gran's in northunberland in the summer hols. This is to put it mildly about 260 miles further than
    he's ever been, and I've never done that long a trip either, though I've done lots of things by
    myself, such as going up mountains in Skye with the bike, getting stuck but getting myself out of it
    again.....Anyway - what's the best way to plan? Sustrans site doesn't seem to have a cpmplete route,
    particularly one where the emphasis is on traffic free. Camp or B+B?Or not do the thing at all?!Any
    thoughts gratefully received. Ali

    Tags:

  2. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Ali" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Any advice? Me and the boy (10) have this idea about cycling from here
    (Spalding,Lincs)
    > to his gran's in northunberland in the summer hols. This is to put it
    mildly
    > about 260 miles further than he's ever been, and I've never done that long
    > trip either, though I've done lots of things by myself, such as going up mountains in Skye with
    > the bike, getting stuck but getting myself out of
    it
    > again.....Anyway - what's the best way to plan? Sustrans site doesn't seem to have a cpmplete
    > route, particularly one where the emphasis is on
    traffic
    > free. Camp or B+B?Or not do the thing at all?!Any thoughts gratefully received.

    Sounds fun -- if the lad is up for it.

    Some thoughts:

    1. As well as Sustrans look at National Byway http://www.thenationalbyway.org/welcome.asp for some
    route information. Some work with OS maps should also allow you to plan a route on country lanes
    that will be fairly traffic free.

    2. I would suggest B&B rather than camping. OK -- less 'fun' but less to carry. But, if camping is
    an integral part of the adventure keep it fairly simple -- mainly using cafes etc to eat (though
    having perhaps a single ring stove for a morning fry up once in a while. Camping does not
    preclude B&B if the weather is not good or you need a decent bath!! Maybe use wife/gran etc. to
    provide a support vehicle to carry camping stuff out to you for 1 or 2 nights at one or both ends
    of the tour. I would guess you will be carrying most of the gear for both of you on your bike
    (certainly your own stuff plus almost all the 'common' gear -- so you need to be comfortable.

    3 Keep as flexible as possible. Don't try to do too many miles each day and be ready to take a day
    or two out if tiredness sets in. Be willing to take a train forward if necessary. Maybe plan some
    visits to places of interest on the way to break up the day.

    4 Make sure both bikes are comfortable. The lad may think a double sus Halford's special is cool --
    but he won't after a few days.

    3. Get some miles in beforehand to check you are both up for it.

    Enjoy -- sounds a great holiday.

  3. >Any advice? Me and the boy (10) have this idea about cycling from here (Spalding,Lincs) to his
    >gran's in northunberland in the summer hols. This is to put it mildly about 260 miles further than
    >he's ever been, and I've never done that long a trip either, though I've done lots of things by
    >myself, such as going up mountains in Skye with the bike, getting stuck but getting myself out of
    >it again.....Anyway - what's the best way to plan? Sustrans site doesn't seem to have a cpmplete
    >route, particularly one where the emphasis is on traffic free. Camp or B+B?Or not do the thing at
    >all?!Any thoughts gratefully received. Ali

    If it t'were I, I'd be planning to do it over much of the summer hols :) Kids are fairly resilient -
    especially if it can be made *fun* or *exciting* some how. Also, the challenge and telling him what
    kudos he'll have as how many 10 year olds cycle that far!

    Plan in a very detailed way - find out what *things to see* and *things to do* will be available on
    the way there.

    Be flexible - take a steady pace - slow when needed, faster when able to and *wanting* to. A good
    site for cycling links is at http://www.colinpercy.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/links.htm which is a whole
    page of links put up by Tyne Bikes. Perhaps it's worth getting in contact with that group to see if
    they can offer any advice for the north end of the trip.

    Also - are you a member of CTC? If not, I'd suggest you both join - for the third party insurance
    and legal help if anything untoward happen on the trip - I work on the theory that if you've got the
    cover, you may well not need it, but if you haven't, you'll probably have need of it ;-) Plus - the
    CTC do routes guidance/planning (any other CTC member help out here, I'm new to this bit!)

    When my son (now 14) was wee - younger than 10, he didn't cycle much but we were heavily into
    rambling and at seven/eight he did the Norfolk Coastal Path, Fen Rivers Way, Nar Valley Walk and
    most of the Peddars' Way. He managed this via *encouragement* 90% of the time and 10% nagging ;-)

    The key was keeping it fun for the vast majority of the time.

    If you camp - does this mean you'll be carrying a tent & equipment as well as the cycling
    necessities? If it does, with a 10 year old, I'd be tempted to do the B&B route, so at least you
    should have a comfy and restful bed at the end of each day - or, and a dry one too, and not one
    blown away in wind! But I guess it depends upon finances and timescale.

    If you go for it, best of luck to you both.

    Cheers, helen s

    p.s. Whey what bit of God's Own Country is yor mother in bonnie laad? Ah was brort up there
    meessell like. Born in Morpeth, brort up in Blyth.

    p.p.s. I hev a langin for a reely lang trip meesell, but a've got me studyin t'dee :(

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  4. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Ali <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Any advice? Me and the boy (10) have this idea about cycling from here (Spalding,Lincs) to his
    > gran's in northunberland in the summer hols. This is to put it mildly about 260 miles further than
    > he's ever been, and I've never done that long a trip either, though I've done lots of things by
    > myself, such as going up mountains in Skye with the bike, getting stuck but getting myself out of
    > it again.....Anyway - what's the best way to plan? Sustrans site doesn't seem to have a cpmplete
    > route, particularly one where the emphasis is on traffic free. Camp or B+B?Or not do the thing at
    > all?!Any thoughts gratefully received. Ali

    Take plenty of time over it, don't make each day too much cycling and plan lots of stops and things
    to do/see along the way. If you can get a trailer bike/tandem you can go a lot further in a day but
    again plenty of stops. If you are going to camp, make sure you have all the campsites marked down,
    especially ones with facilities. There is nothing worse than a tired 10 year old and another 10
    miles to go to a campsite on a wet day. B&B is more comfortable but not as much fun.

    Tony

    http://www.raven-family.com

    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George
    Bernard Shaw.

  5. Cicero

    Cicero Guest

    "Ali" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Any advice? Me and the boy (10) have this idea about cycling from here
    (Spalding,Lincs)
    > to his gran's in northunberland in the summer hols. This is to put it
    mildly
    > about 260 miles further than he's ever been, and I've never done that long
    > trip either, though I've done lots of things by myself, such as going up mountains in Skye with
    > the bike, getting stuck but getting myself out of
    it
    > again.....Anyway - what's the best way to plan? Sustrans site doesn't seem to have a cpmplete
    > route, particularly one where the emphasis is on
    traffic
    > free. Camp or B+B?Or not do the thing at all?!Any thoughts gratefully received. Ali

    ===========
    Have you thought of joining the YHA? You could probably combine camping with occasional nights
    in a Hostel.

    Cic.

  6. "Ali" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    Take it really easy. 10 year olds can tire very quickly and go from being ok one minute to totally
    drained the next. I put my very talented nephew off cyclin by taking him too far too soon. Get
    plenty of long local rides in first to see how many miles is within his capability.

    Cliff

    Any advice?
    > Me and the boy (10) have this idea about cycling from here
    (Spalding,Lincs)
    > to his gran's in northunberland in the summer hols. This is to put it
    mildly
    > about 260 miles further than he's ever been, and I've never done that long
    > trip either, though I've done lots of things by myself, such as going up mountains in Skye with
    > the bike, getting stuck but getting myself out of
    it
    > again.....Anyway - what's the best way to plan? Sustrans site doesn't seem to have a cpmplete
    > route, particularly one where the emphasis is on
    traffic
    > free. Camp or B+B?Or not do the thing at all?!Any thoughts gratefully received. Ali

  7. Andymorris

    Andymorris Guest

    Cicero wrote:
    > ===========
    > Have you thought of joining the YHA? You could probably combine camping with occasional nights in
    > a Hostel.
    >
    > Cic.

    That sounds good to me, the trouble with B+B might be that there is nowhere to 'hang-out' in during
    the evening. The YHA has common rooms where you kid can mix with other kids and relax a bit.

    Having said that I last stayed in a YH about 20 years ago.

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

  8. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 23:40:31 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My sone (8) has managed 43 miles in a day before, but he was knackered at the end of it. Two years
    >is a long time, mind, but Michael is a swimmer and pretty fit. He can keep up on CTC leisurely runs
    >provided they aren't too long, but nothing adventurous. Our proposed solution is a tandem - we'll
    >be visiting <checks over shoulder in case James is
    >listening> Bridgewater soon to test some out.

    I'm merely concerned about your bikes' abilities to fit on the public highway. Or are you addressing
    your comments to the other James?

    FWIW, I'm certain a reaonably fit kidlet (I used to swim 6 days in each week when I was about 10)
    would be able to manage, say, 35 miles per day for several days on the trot, perhaps more if nagged
    hard enough.

    James H (not James A)

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  9. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    AndyMorris <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Having said that I last stayed in a YH about 20 years ago.

    They've changed a lot since then. They now have car parks (and you can drive to them) and family
    rooms. For one or two its quite good value but for a family its more expensive than a Travel Inn or
    B&B. Having said that we use them a lot and the girls love them - especially the remote ones like
    Skiddaw and Black Sail which have an added excitement element.

    Tony

  10. Jo Hardman

    Jo Hardman Guest

    I would just go for it, providing your son is keen. It is a great morale booster for a child to
    achieve something like this. It is not beyond the capabilities of an fairly fit 10 year old if they
    are given the opportunities. I would also do it on solo bikes - so the achievement is all his own.
    If he wants to camp, then do it. Keep your kit lightweight, keep your daily miles low, to allow some
    other fun activities on the way, and above all keep him involved. With my own children, depending on
    their ages at the time, I have asked them to help with route planning (together making note of hilly
    terrain, interesting things to see etc) and catering arrangements. By the age of 11-12 I have found
    it possible, and fun, for them to be responsible for their own camping (i.e.: they carry the gear,
    put up their tent, pack up and load bike in the morning) and their own catering (Give a food
    allowance each morning, they plan, shop for and cook their own food, not forgetting the clearing up.
    I observe discretely while looking after my own arrangements, throwing in comments/help only where
    absolutely necessary. Strange food combinations such as noodles with spaghetti are ignored! For
    evening activity on site, whittling sticks with a knife is always popular. Taking along a like
    minded friend also adds to their fun, but make sure the friend is fit and experienced enough, and
    that you will get along with him - it needs to be fun for you too. Have a great time! Jo "Ali"
    > Any advice? Me and the boy (10) have this idea about cycling from here
    (Spalding,Lincs)
    > to his gran's in northunberland in the summer hols. This is to put it
    mildly
    > about 260 miles further than he's ever been, and I've never done that long
    > trip either, though I've done lots of things by myself, such as going up mountains in Skye with
    > the bike, getting stuck but getting myself out of
    it
    > again.....Anyway - what's the best way to plan? Sustrans site doesn't seem to have a cpmplete
    > route, particularly one where the emphasis is on
    traffic
    > free. Camp or B+B?Or not do the thing at all?!Any thoughts gratefully received. Ali

  11. Jo Hardman

    Jo Hardman Guest

    I would just go for it, providing your son is keen. It is a great morale booster for a child to
    achieve something like this. It is not beyond the capabilities of an fairly fit 10 year old if they
    are given the opportunities. I would also do it on solo bikes - so the achievement is all his own.
    If he wants to camp, then do it. Keep your kit lightweight, keep your daily miles low, to allow some
    other fun activities on the way, and above all keep him involved. With my own children, depending on
    their ages at the time, I have asked them to help with route planning (together making note of hilly
    terrain, interesting things to see etc) and catering arrangements. By the age of 11-12 I have found
    it possible, and fun, for them to be responsible for their own camping (i.e.: they carry the gear,
    put up their tent, pack up and load bike in the morning) and their own catering (Give a food
    allowance each morning, they plan, shop for and cook their own food, not forgetting the clearing up.
    I observe discretely while looking after my own arrangements, throwing in comments/help only where
    absolutely necessary. Strange food combinations such as noodles with spaghetti are ignored! For
    evening activity on site, whittling sticks with a knife is always popular. Taking along a like
    minded friend also adds to their fun, but make sure the friend is fit and experienced enough, and
    that you will get along with him - it needs to be fun for you too. Have a great time! Jo "Ali"
    > Any advice? Me and the boy (10) have this idea about cycling from here
    (Spalding,Lincs)
    > to his gran's in northunberland in the summer hols. This is to put it
    mildly
    > about 260 miles further than he's ever been, and I've never done that long
    > trip either, though I've done lots of things by myself, such as going up mountains in Skye with
    > the bike, getting stuck but getting myself out of
    it
    > again.....Anyway - what's the best way to plan? Sustrans site doesn't seem to have a cpmplete
    > route, particularly one where the emphasis is on
    traffic
    > free. Camp or B+B?Or not do the thing at all?!Any thoughts gratefully received. Ali

  12. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 10:25:23 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Sure - but who wants to be threatening and cajoling all day? And a tandem evens out the fitness
    >disparity, allowing you to go a bit faster than the less fit person would normally manage.
    >Especially climbing hills.

    OK. The route should therefore be planned so that a train trip is not out of the question in case of
    teenage lagging.

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.